Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    for those who take the AQA exam board for a-level languages.... particularly A2, did you or do you feel that you had to rely on the mark scheme for the research question or were you able to interpret your ideas, as long as they were expressed clearly? I feel like at this level, languages can be  very subjective (and i'm talking about the exam)... and i think i mean that they're pretty much like english literature....in a foreign language. I'm not sure if you get me, please do let me know because i'm currently struggling how to get my head around these essays, thanks

(Original post by BuddingAchiever)
    next year i'm studying french, spanish, italian, maths and history of art for AS-levels.... i really don't know if i made the right choice but can anyone advise which subjects would be most useful for languages? although history of art is not exactly a facilitating subject.. what do unis think about (i'm doing the pre-u course) I could've taken up history or english literature instead but in all honesty, they don't appeal to me.. and advice would be useful ! thanks
    When you say "language degree" what language is the degree going to be?

Have you picked these for definite? I'd advise you pick either Italian or Spanish as due to how similar they are, you can learn one then go on to learn the other at a later date with relative ease by yourself, keep French or perhaps pick German.

I would advise you do History rather than a History of Art, I'd also recommend English Literature as well. Have a read through of Informed Choices, hopefully it'll clear your mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    When you say "language degree" what language is the degree going to be?

Have you picked these for definite? I'd advise you pick either Italian or Spanish as due to how similar they are, you can learn one then go on to learn the other at a later date with relative ease by yourself, keep French or perhaps pick German.

I would advise you do History rather than a History of Art, I'd also recommend English Literature as well. Have a read through of Informed Choices, hopefully it'll clear your mind
    as much as I appreciate what you've said, I am too unsure... I'm starting itian from scratch thus I'll be taking the As exam after two years. these are the definite choices but that is not to say that I cannot change them. just out of interest, why history and English literature ? (I just need an opinion) thank you !! Btw I'd be looking into French and Spanish or French and Mandarin Chinese at unis

Posted from TSR Mobile

as much as I appreciate what you've said, I am too unsure... I'm starting itian from scratch thus I'll be taking the As exam after two years. these are the definite choices but that is not to say that I cannot change them. just out of interest, why history and English literature ? (I just need an opinion) thank you !! Btw I'd be looking into French and Spanish or French and Mandarin Chinese at unis
    Do you know Spanish? If so stick to Spanish and then learn Italian at a later date.

I suggested them because they appear to be the choices that many taking language degrees have got at A-Level, most of the people I know have one or both as an A-Level as well as the language they're studying for their degree.

If you read through the link I gave you, they're also recommended there as subjects (along with Politics) you should do for a language degree and in my opinion, unless you can pick up a language quickly forget the idea of doing Mandarin at undergraduate level, the last couple of pages will explain why

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Do you know Spanish? If so stick to Spanish and then learn Italian at a later date.

I suggested them because they appear to be the choices that many taking language degrees have got at A-Level, most of the people I know have one or both as an A-Level as well as the language they're studying for their degree.

If you read through the link I gave you, they're also recommended there as subjects (along with Politics) you should do for a language degree and in my opinion, unless you can pick up a language quickly forget the idea of doing Mandarin at undergraduate level, the last couple of pages will explain why
    i'm slightly blind here, i'm not sure where it mentions it but one of many reasons why i'd love to take up mandarin is because of my background and ever so unfortunately, i haven't been able to speak fluently let alone have time to learn it so I feel like I should at some point (maybe not necessarily at undergraduate level) Spanish and french are my strong points and i'll see how italian goes, if not, i can always take the gcse (and i'm not ashamed to say that i am a very much enthusiastic linguist) nevertheless, thank you so much for the link, it has been helpful and i'll think about my choices but I think i'll also be talking to my career's advisor and see what he thinks

ReputationRep:
    L'evil Fish, are you lurking? :shh:
    for those who take the AQA exam board for a-level languages.... particularly A2, did you or do you feel that you had to rely on the mark scheme for the research question or were you able to interpret your ideas, as long as they were expressed clearly? I feel like at this level, languages can be  very subjective (and i'm talking about the exam)... and i think i mean that they're pretty much like english literature....in a foreign language. I'm not sure if you get me, please do let me know because i'm currently struggling how to get my head around these essays, thanks
    It took me almost two years to stop fretting about it, but I eventually got my head around the idea that it's not that hard really. The main difficulty was writers' block each and every time, and learning to adapt sentences to work around lack of vocabulary in a pinch.

The aim at AS is to demonstrate you can:
    a) read a question in a foreign language (I utterly failed this once!) by composing a relevant response.
    b) write something with an AS standard of language and range of grammatical structures.

I spent a lot of time obsessing about content, but it doesn't have to be the same standard as an essay in English. That's why all the AS AQA topics are so bland!

For A2, we did a segment of history and our feelings about a film, so I can't help you much there. The main difficulty was getting a good enough understanding of the period, so that I would have enough knowledge to write about it.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know the topics for AQA GCSE german?:dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gilo98)
    Anyone know the topics for AQA GCSE german?:dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Healthy living, home and local area, school and work, leisure (holidays, shopping, etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octopus_Garden)
    Healthy living, home and local area, school and work, leisure (holidays, shopping, etc)
    Thanks. And do i do a speaking and writing CA for each of them topics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gilo98)
    Thanks. And do i do a speaking and writing CA for each of them topics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    One for each. Not two.

ReputationRep:
    One for each. Not two.
    Ok thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Pouvez vous me donner des conseils ? Je cherche les chansons françaises, qui ont un rythme heureux ou gai. Cependant j'ai besoin qu'elles ont les paroles simples !

Je pense que je cherche des chansons du genre Pop ?

As ever, all corrections appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Pouvez-vous me donner des conseils? Je cherche des chansons françaises, qui ont un rythme sympa(thique). Cependant il faudrait que les paroles soient simples!

Je pense que je cherche des chansons du genre Pop?

As ever, all corrections appreciated.
    C'est corrigé

Voici quelques noms d'artistes: Louis Bertignac, Renan Luce, Téléphone, BB Brunes, Christophe Maé, Francis Cabrel, Stromae, Jean-Jacques Goldman, ..

Je t'ai mis un peu de tout, du vieux et du récent.. Par contre je ne peux pas te garantir que leur textes soient simples, mais ce sont tous de bons artistes qui valent le détour
    J'ai cité que les premiers noms qui me sont venus à l'esprit, si tu en veux d'autres j'en posterai plus tard!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so my decision is as follows:

Continue to learn Spanish during 6th year, but not do the AS exam. Come the start of 7th year, I will have done an AS language (French), so will know exactly what it is I have to learn, the structure of the course and how much work is involved. My vice-principal has okayed this, saying if I feel I could do the exam, they would let.

Very excited for French!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bambirina)
    C'est corrigé

Voici quelques noms d'artistes: Louis Bertignac, Renan Luce, Téléphone, BB Brunes, Christophe Maé, Francis Cabrel, Stromae, Jean-Jacques Goldman, ..

Je t'ai mis un peu de tout, du vieux et du récent.. Par contre je ne peux pas te garantir que leur textes soient simples, mais ce sont tous de bons artistes qui valent le détour
    J'ai cité que les premiers noms qui me sont venus à l'esprit, si tu en veux d'autres j'en posterai plus tard!
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Merci beaucoup!

ReputationRep:
    Je suis tombé sous le charme...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LePoissonMal)
    Je suis tombé sous le charme...
    le charme à qui?

ReputationRep:
    I'm back, hopefully the thread shall pick up again

ReputationRep:
    le charme à qui?
    Mon charme :rofl:

À cause de tes mains...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Mon charme :rofl:

À cause de tes mains...
    je ne te comprends pas.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.