The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
"We'll see" haha no we won't Fishy! I'd rather sandwich myself between Russian, Arabic and Chinese before I ever learnt French. Nothing against any francophiles, of course. I've just never really felt any attraction to the language.

:mob: forget my maths help!

Spoiler

Original post by L'Evil Fish
:mob: forget my maths help!

Spoiler

LOL! My actual expressions when reading your post :

:hmmmm2:

:hmmm:

:lol:

I plan on learning Spanish, Italian and Romanian and leaving French well alone. :h: Who knows, one day I might change my mind? I won't
(edited 10 years ago)

I plan on learning Spanish, Italian and Romanian and leaving French well alone. :h: Who knows, one day I might change my mind? I won't

:mmm:

Italian :biggrin: I love it...
Reply 7223

Romanian, the 'other' Romance language? What about it interests you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What language don't you love? :tongue:
Original post by AquisM

Posted from TSR Mobile

What language don't you love? :tongue:

German and Dutch. Not yet anyway :mmm:
Hello! Bonjour! Привет!
Just thought I'd add myself to the convo :3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by beau-malheur
Hello! Bonjour! Привет!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Je peux lire la russe mais je ne peux écrire ça... :frown:
Hello! Bonjour! Привет!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bienvenue, bienvenida, benvenuto and willkommen. :tongue:

I have some learning materials but I only worked through a chapter before becoming distracted by Spanish. I really want to learn it..but I don't know if I will confuse it with Spanish. There were a few instances over the summer where I was kicking myself for not really maximising my free time over the summer and learning it.

Original post by AquisM

Honestly, I'm pretty shallow when it comes to deciding to learn a language. If I hear it and I like the sound of it, I want to learn it. It's that simple for me. This can be a problem because I can be unrealistic and say to myself 'Maybe I should learn X language...no, I want to learn Y first..wait, what about T? Yeah T was fun..but..etc etc.'.

Admittedly, for a few languages my desire to learn them is just fanciful, such as Scottish Gaelic or Welsh, as obviously whilst I'm studying for my A levels I'm not going to spend huge amounts of my time learning a language such as Scottish Gaelic which has so few speakers compared to other languages that I could learn, such as Spanish or Russian for example.

I think whilst I'm young (25 so...youngish? I still feel young! :tongue:) and in education I'm wanting to focus on more widely spoken languages.

Hello! Bonjour! Привет!

¡Bienvenido! Willkommen!
(edited 10 years ago)
I have some learning materials but I only worked through a chapter before becoming distracted by Spanish. I really want to learn it..but I don't know if I will confuse it with Spanish. There were a few instances over the summer where I was kicking myself for not really maximising my free time over the summer and learning it.

I confuse it with Spanish a lot :colondollar:

Le russe est très compliqué.
Original post by Decerto
Le russe est très compliqué.

No harder than German imo :tongue:
I confuse it with Spanish a lot :colondollar:

Yeah I can imagine myself doing that. Already, when I am thinking in Spanish and I know the word in German but not in Spanish...my mind seems to fill the gaps in with German so I end up almost saying mixed sentences that just sound strange. Still, at least my mind isn't filling the gap with English like most people do, so it's not all bad really.
No harder than German imo :tongue:

Hmm. I want to learn German, only because it isn't a romance language, like the rest of the ones I want to learn.
Original post by Decerto
Hmm. I want to learn German, only because it isn't a romance language, like the rest of the ones I want to learn.

I'm trying!:tongue:
Yeah I can imagine myself doing that. Already, when I am thinking in Spanish and I know the word in German but not in Spanish...my mind seems to fill the gaps in with German so I end up almost saying mixed sentences that just sound strange. Still, at least my mind isn't filling the gap with English like most people do, so it's not all bad really.

I literally speak with all languages to make a sentence... If I don't know a word I'll always know it in another language (even if it ends up being English)

I confuse silly tiny thing :redface:

Pero = But in Spanish
Però = However in Italian

So things like that help
Original post by Decerto

Learn It! Only so you can yell at people and they'll do as they're told, only reason I continued to learn it tbh, just to order people around :h:
Original post by AquisM
In what way? Not criticising your viewpoint, just interested and like to ask you to elaborate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/forgot_algebra.png

That's basically the problem. People like that have children, and they spend their children's school years saying things like, "Don't worry, I was always rubbish at maths. You're just like me It's never been a problem for me, because no-one needs this outside school. What's the point of trigonometry?"

To a point, they're right- it would appear that employers cared very little whether one had O-level Maths, unless one was going into a specifically mathematical career.

However, not only are there more mathematical jobs these days (like everything to do with computing), a C at GCSE is -actually- really important for almost all jobs.
Original post by tehFrance
Learn It! Only so you can yell at people and they'll do as they're told, only reason I continued to learn it tbh, just to order people around :h:

Good idea. I like the fact that I will be able to insult people in other languages without them understanding what I am saying.

Did you just feminise a language? Again?! Stop it, because I catch myself copying you!
Original post by Octopus_Garden
Did you just feminise a language? Again?! Stop it, because I catch myself copying you!

I wrote le... I swear :emo:

Latest

Trending

Trending