Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    They have a French Work Experience Trip... But it's in October. How short a notice is that?!
    Ooh, that'd be fun, but why on earth do they give you such little time to prepare? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AquisM)
    Ooh, that'd be fun, but why on earth do they give you such little time to prepare? :confused:
    I won't do it anyway, my mum would have to house someone :mmm:

ReputationRep:

French class... Only boy :rofl: and the other kids were so crap :emo: and they were all amazed at my crappy French. Have to translate a whole brick of text for Friday, did most in class, might ask for some help!
    :rofl: ahahhahaha pissed myself at that last paragraph!! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gilo98)
    :rofl: ahahhahaha pissed myself at that last paragraph!! :lol:
    Which bit?

ReputationRep:
    Which bit?
    'The other kids were so crap' ahahhaah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaconEmperor)
    I know first-hand what it's like to be stuck choosing between the sciences and languages. I was always set on doing a Chemistry-related degree and for AS I did Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and French but as the UCAS deadline approached I began to realise that I's be much happy doing a languages degree because I didn't like experiments in Chemistry. Then I realised that I'd probably have to study literature in a language degree which I'd hate just as much id not more than doing experiments so now I'm about to start a degree in Economics with Russian. My point is even with mostly Sciences you can study a language at uni, or you can study a Science with a language ('with' means you only study the language components whereas 'and' would probably involve some cultural modules). Also Sheffield offer a triple language degree where you can start two languages from scratch and only need one language at A-Level if you did still want to do German or Spanish through distance learning.
    http://www.shef.ac.uk/prospectus/cou...do?id=T9002013
    Great to hear I'm not the only one! Thanks for your reply. I didn't dislike anything about my science classes, I actually really enjoyed the experiments and seeing the science in action. In fact, there wasn't anything I disliked about the sciences! I took an extra year to study the language GCSEs to make sure I was going into A levels with my choices open. The problem is, if I am to go the Science route then I want to study all three of them and Maths A level so that I have all the options open for me when entering uni. To study a language via distance learning as well would mean that I would be studying 5 AS subjects, which I really don't think I could do especially given my situation. Argh!

ReputationRep:
    'The other kids were so crap' ahahhaah
    Oh, they were their accents...

They pronounced js and rs as if they were speaking English

So when I spoke and said "Les parents ont besoin d'élargir leurs horizons" properly they were all like :eek: :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    What does this mean...

... Il est important de faire preuve de tolérance. Ne soyez pas trop autoritaire, ne les laissez pas faire...

?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, they were their accents...

They pronounced js and rs as if they were speaking English

So when I spoke and said "Les parents ont besoin d'élargir leurs horizons" properly they were all like :eek: :eek3:
    :mmm: a couple people in my class pronounce 'Je' as 'jay'!! And they dont know how to say 'I am' or 'I play' :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    What does this mean...

... Il est important de faire preuve de tolérance. Ne soyez pas trop autoritaire, ne les laissez pas faire...

?
    Which bit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 21stcenturyphantom)
    Great to hear I'm not the only one! Thanks for your reply. I didn't dislike anything about my science classes, I actually really enjoyed the experiments and seeing the science in action. In fact, there wasn't anything I disliked about the sciences! I took an extra year to study the language GCSEs to make sure I was going into A levels with my choices open. The problem is, if I am to go the Science route then I want to study all three of them and Maths A level so that I have all the options open for me when entering uni. To study a language via distance learning as well would mean that I would be studying 5 AS subjects, which I really don't think I could do especially given my situation. Argh!
    I had an awful teacher for A-Level Chemistry who unfortunately put me off experiments but I'm glad you enjoy them! Have you considered only doing 2 sciences, maths and a languages? Most people have one science they like the least (except constant who hates them all :lol: ) Typically this is Physics because it's much closer to Maths than it is to Biology and Chemistry. Alternatively there's nothing wrong with just studying languages for fun

ReputationRep:
    :mmm: a couple people in my class pronounce 'Je' as 'jay'!! And they dont know how to say 'I am' or 'I play' :unimpressed:
    :mad:
    (Original post by Octopus_Garden)
    Which bit?
    All of that bit

J'ai fait un page... That's all that I haven't done...

I know the second bit is:

Don't be too bossy, nor leave them to do what they want

I think!

ReputationRep:

All of that bit

I think!
    And we are meant to be the very top class in the school....:confused:

ReputationRep:
    What does this mean...

?
    It's important to show tolerance. Don't be too authoritative or let them do...

ReputationRep:

All of that bit

I think!
    I assume there is no way il est important or tolérance is causing you a problem, so...

Take a medium or large Collins dictionary, and look up preuve.

Or, you could use this: http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dic...kiePolicy=true

ReputationRep:
    And we are meant to be the very top class in the school....:confused:
    :rofl:
    It's important to show tolerance. Don't be too authoritative or let them do...
    Yay! I got it!

This I'm unsure of;

Les parents ont aussi plus souvent tendance à laisser sortir les garçons que les filles.

Parents have an increasing tendency to let boys go out more than girls? Or...

ReputationRep:
    I had an awful teacher for A-Level Chemistry who unfortunately put me off experiments but I'm glad you enjoy them! Have you considered only doing 2 sciences, maths and a languages? Most people have one science they like the least (except constant who hates them all :lol: ) Typically this is Physics because it's much closer to Maths than it is to Biology and Chemistry. Alternatively there's nothing wrong with just studying languages for fun
    I could do that, but I really enjoyed studying all three sciences for GCSE...I don't think I could choose. I don't know. I think I will evaluate everything in 2 weeks time, and if I doing OK I may perhaps consider studying a language via distance learning for a fifth AS, or I may just not take an A level in it and keep the study of languages to my free time.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

Yay! I got it!

This I'm unsure of;

Les parents ont aussi plus souvent tendance à laisser sortir les garçons que les filles.

Parents have an increasing tendency to let boys go out more than girls? Or...
    I'd translate it as:
    Parents also have an increased tendency to let boys go out than girls. When translating you have to make sure to translate every single word/phrase.

(Original post by 21stcenturyphantom)
    I could do that, but I really enjoyed studying all three sciences for GCSE...I don't think I could choose. I don't know. I think I will evaluate everything in 2 weeks time, and if I doing OK I may perhaps consider studying a language via distance learning for a fifth AS, or I may just not take an A level in it and keep the study of languages to my free time.
    Good luck with which ever you choose, you don't have to formally study a language to become fluent in it

ReputationRep:
    I'd translate it as:
    Parents also have an increased tendency to let boys go out than girls. When translating you have to make sure to translate every single word/phrase.

Good luck with which ever you choose, you don't have to formally study a language to become fluent in it
    Done :zomg:

French is the lesson I look forward to now :teehee:

We'll see if I like physics.

ReputationRep:
    I'd translate it as:

Yes, that's true, and thank you.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 9, 2014
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.