The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tehFrance
I always thought it came from Persian and Arabic... :s-smilie:

I think that's the ultimate beginnings of the world, yes, I just meant when it was absorbed into the English language, it was from Urdu (bilāyatī meaning foreign/European in Urdu, coming from wilāya in Arabic meaning dominion/district)
Hallo! Ich werde meistens auf Deutsch schreiben, weil ich diese Sprache für mein Abitur studierte. Ich kenne auch Englisch, weil es meine Muttersprache ist :smile:
My French class is SO bad :rofl: literally, I think there'll be many D-Us... Maybe an occasional C... I hope it doesn't effect me :frown:
Reply 7463
My first Italian class today, which involved me sitting in my old French class and writing my script for the speaking exam. Surprisingly conducive to work - I'm already over halfway through

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L'Evil Fish
My French class is SO bad :rofl: literally, I think there'll be many D-Us... Maybe an occasional C... I hope it doesn't effect me :frown:
How bad can it be?

To be honest, most people are like that at the beginning of AS. You get the obvious bright sparks who take to it like a duck to water, but most people are coming out of GCSE with no grammatical understanding whatsoever, so it's quite a wake up call to some people. Remember, it's only September, and people haven't been studying as studiously as you have over the summer break; people will grow as they gain more confidence, and although some of the people probably will get D or below, a lot of them will get C and above because they've progressed and practised and worked at it. Don't judge them by your high standards yet, people will get there soon enough. :smile:
Original post by Octopus_Garden
How bad can it be?

Quite :tongue:
Original post by constantmeowage
To be honest, most people are like that at the beginning of AS. You get the obvious bright sparks who take to it like a duck to water, but most people are coming out of GCSE with no grammatical understanding whatsoever, so it's quite a wake up call to some people. Remember, it's only September, and people haven't been studying as studiously as you have over the summer break; people will grow as they gain more confidence, and although some of the people probably will get D or below, a lot of them will get C and above because they've progressed and practised and worked at it. Don't judge them by your high standards yet, people will get there soon enough. :smile:

You need an accent to get better marks right in orals?

People have such bad pronunciations :lol: like they say every letter...

And they don't know any conjugations. Not even je present tense :redface:

They literally write the infinitives, and everything.
Quite :tongue:

And I know a lot of people did that in my AS year too, in all of my languages. And they got better. You go through the rudimentary grammar from the ground up in AS languages, and people get better. Pronunciation gets better due to the help with the assistants and general improvement in class. Give people time.
And I know a lot of people did that in my AS year too, in all of my languages. And they got better. You go through the rudimentary grammar from the ground up in AS languages, and people get better. Pronunciation gets better due to the help with the assistants and general improvement in class. Give people time.

I'm sensing a peeved off ness :tongue:

I don't mind, I find it entertaining (I know that's bad but we all laugh).

Some don't even want to do French :s-smilie: so... Doubt they'll improve much if they don't want it.

Even so, after 5 lessons, surely they should know ONE tense. In ONE form.

How did the rest of your class perform after?
Reply 7469

To be honest, GCSE is more of a memorisation game than real learning. You can memorise key phrases and regurgitate them and get a good mark. It's post-GCSE where solely memorising things will not get you good grades. I know people who practically gained nothing from GCSE and got As, and are now shocked that they are struggling so much because they had gotten a good score in GCSEs.
Original post by AquisM
To be honest, GCSE is more of a memorisation game than real learning. You can memorise key phrases and regurgitate them and get a good mark. It's post-GCSE where solely memorising things will not get you good grades. I know people who practically gained nothing from GCSE and got As, and are now shocked that they are struggling so much because they had gotten a good score in GCSEs.

Hmmm... True!
Hmmm... True!

Fishy have you done M2 ? I've posted on Mega maths thread :frown: .. question iv) I'm stuck :/

Some don't even want to do French :s-smilie: so... Doubt they'll improve much if they don't want it.

Well, I think you're being a bit harsh, tbh. :/ And they improved. Some people dropped it because they hadn't improved enough, but other people went from nada to mucho through the AS year and subsequently continued on to do well at A2.
Well, I think you're being a bit harsh, tbh. :/ And they improved. Some people dropped it because they hadn't improved enough, but other people went from nada to mucho through the AS year and subsequently continued on to do well at A2.

Well tbf, I just expected loads of students way better than me because they're all from the private school anyway, so I thought they'd be good, but I guess that's not the case.

MFLs suffering everywhere :emo:

Italian enrichment! Three people interested so far, need 10 damn it!:mad:
Well tbf, I just expected loads of students way better than me because they're all from the private school anyway, so I thought they'd be good, but I guess that's not the case.

MFLs suffering everywhere :emo:

Meh, GCSE equips you with nothing, regardless of where you go to school. You would have been exactly the same had you not been speaking French all summer here and continuing to learn.

Good luck, isn't that 10% of your year?

What's that? Do you go to Italy, yell and wave your arms about? :tongue:
Meh, GCSE equips you with nothing, regardless of where you go to school. You would have been exactly the same had you not been speaking French all summer here and continuing to learn.

Good luck, isn't that 10% of your year?

Not really, I'd have learnt the basics at least. There are two types. The ones who you can tell will improve, and then the others who have no clue at all and are still trying to learn set phrases.

It is :colonhash: damn it.

What's that? Do you go to Italy, yell and wave your arms about? :tongue:

No :colone:
No :colone:

So what is it? :smile:
So what is it? :smile:

No idea, language learning and culture?

Je pense que je devrais apprendre un temps ! :colondollar:

Class starts in a week!
Est-ce-qu'ils ont appris le français GCSE dans cette école ou une différente école ?

Goodness, that took ages to write. Je suis tellement paresseuse. :frown:

Latest