The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7480
Original post by L'Evil Fish
No idea, language learning and culture?

You have no idea what it is and you want to enrol on the course?
Original post by Octopus_Garden
Je pense que je devrais apprendre un temps ! :colondollar:

Class starts in a week!Est-ce-qu'ils ont appris le français GCSE dans cette école ou une différente école ?

Goodness, that took ages to write. Je suis tellement paresseuse. :frown:

No - between ce and qu'ils is there? :dontknow:

Ils ont appris le français dans cette école!

Original post by AquisM
You have no idea what it is and you want to enrol on the course?

It's just Italian Enrichment. It says language and culture so I presume it's learning Italian and about the place...?
Reply 7482

It's just Italian Enrichment. It says language and culture so I presume it's learning Italian and about the place...?

Haha Okay.
No - between ce and qu'ils is there? :dontknow:

Ils ont appris le français dans cette école!
Je sais pas!

Ne t'inquiète pas. Your cohort is most likely just like all the other AS-level French classes they've had over the last five years, and your teachers are accustomed to teaching grammar in year 12, just like most A-level language teachers across the country. Your class this year will not be a huge shock to them!

P.S. Just to be cynical for a moment, if your classmates' parents could afford private secondary for their children, some of them may have been able to afford additional tutoring on top. Some private tutors are willing to write controlled assessments for their students. That might explain any glaring discrepancies between GCSE mark and understanding of French.
Reply 7484
Original post by Marii101
谢谢你,I'll keep that in mind!
Also, anyone know a bit of Korean? I started learning some last year but stopped because my heart wasn't really in it. I think I'll still be able to remember simple things though. :smile:

I'm learning Korean too. Do you use talktomekorean? It's such a good website.

저는 일본어를 배울 했는데, 이제 한국어를 좋아해요.:smile:
Je sais pas!

Ne t'inquiète pas. Your cohort is most likely just like all the other AS-level French classes they've had over the last five years, and your teachers are accustomed to teaching grammar in year 12, just like most A-level language teachers across the country. Your class this year will not be a huge shock to them!

P.S. Just to be cynical for a moment, if your classmates' parents could afford private secondary for their children, some of them may have been able to afford additional tutoring on top. Some private tutors are willing to write controlled assessments for their students. That might explain any glaring discrepancies between GCSE mark and understanding of French.

:rofl: that'd explain it :tongue: it's like they've just memorized random phrases, my vocabulary is decent compared to theirs :woo:

They've still got no grammar grounding BUT their accents are slowly improving (they still make HUGE errors but it's a tiny bit better)
:rofl: that'd explain it :tongue: it's like they've just memorized random phrases, my vocabulary is decent compared to theirs :woo:

They've still got no grammar grounding BUT their accents are slowly improving (they still make HUGE errors but it's a tiny bit better)

I'm Gunna be honest, when I came into year 12 I was one of those people, but I learnt so much grammar and vocab during the year that I came out at AS with an A :biggrin: and quite a high one too ^_^

So don't worry, chances are they will improve a lot too :P
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by beau-malheur
I'm Gunna be honest, when I came into year 12 I was won of those people, but I learnt so much grammar and vocab during the year that I came out at AS with an A :biggrin: and quite a high one too ^_^

So don't worry, chances are they will improve a lot too :P
Posted from TSR Mobile

Love the irony of this post :colondollar: hehe, one*

But that gives me hope! Well done on your amazing grade :biggrin:
Reply 7488

Over here it's most, if not all. :biggrin:

I really can't imagine a class that bad. Wow. I'm speechless.
Original post by AquisM

I really can't imagine a class that bad. Wow. I'm speechless.

You guys probably think I'm exaggerating...

I don't mind it though, because I'm used to having nothing learnt in lessons.

Although I've learnt...

Ça veut dire.... = it means...
Reply 7490
You guys probably think I'm exaggerating...

I don't mind it though, because I'm used to having nothing learnt in lessons.

Although I've learnt...

Ça veut dire.... = it means...

A bit... :biggrin: I guess it's that at least in my school I've never seen it happen. (well, not in my year, but the year below is quite lazy...)
Original post by AquisM
:eek:
I only really realised it happened here on a significant scale when I read a post on the TES forums from a private tutor who
A) complained about how one of his tutees had got an A* despite hardly knowing a word of German and less grammar, and what this said about the British exam system and;
B) admitted that he'd written all the boy's CAs for him to memorise.

In the same post!
Reply 7492
:eek:
I only really realised it happened here on a significant scale when I read a post on the TES forums from a private tutor who
A) complained about how one of his tutees had got an A* despite hardly knowing a word of German and less grammar, and what this said about the British exam system and;
B) admitted that he'd written all the boy's CAs for him to memorise.

In the same post!

:facepalm: Well, over here in the local system, there isn't much coursework or CAs - students are mostly assessed through exams, but the education reform has increased the weighting of coursework, and everybody has tutors in Hong Kong. In fact, I would say you'd be considered a freak if you didn't have tutors for at least Maths and English, and most tutors go for profit (buying essays can be rather common) rather than quality of education.

For those of us who follow the British (or other international) curriculum, it's obviously even worse, because only international and private schools offer them, and the majority of students are financially well-off. At my school, the teachers are usually strict and will deal with this sort of malpractice seriously (I know someone whose coursework was marked down two grades after the teacher found out that he had prepared large chunks of it beforehand), but there are of course teachers with lower moral standards, thus unfairly skewing the class' performance.
Reply 7493
Original post by AquisM
:facepalm: Well, over here in the local system, there isn't much coursework or CAs - students are mostly assessed through exams, but the education reform has increased the weighting of coursework, and everybody has tutors in Hong Kong. In fact, I would say you'd be considered a freak if you didn't have tutors for at least Maths and English, and most tutors go for profit (buying essays can be rather common) rather than quality of education.

For those of us who follow the British (or other international) curriculum, it's obviously even worse, because only international and private schools offer them, and the majority of students are financially well-off. At my school, the teachers are usually strict and will deal with this sort of malpractice seriously (I know someone whose coursework was marked down two grades after the teacher found out that he had prepared large chunks of it beforehand), but there are of course teachers with lower moral standards, thus unfairly skewing the class' performance.

Was it Hong Kong that had a load of 'superstar' tutors with model-like looks and loads of pupils cramming into after school classes with them to experience their tutoring? I think I watched a short news item or a youtube video on this...

Hey, look at the positive side! You now know what my spoken French is like!
:colondollar:
Original post by AquisM
A bit... :biggrin: I guess it's that at least in my school I've never seen it happen. (well, not in my year, but the year below is quite lazy...)

:lol:

I have hope :colone:
Hey, look at the positive side! You now know what my spoken French is like!
:colondollar:

I doubt you'd say something like:

Je suis etudier a la lycee

'ju sw-ee air-too-dee-air a la lee-say'

:tongue:
:lol:

I have hope :colone:

I doubt you'd say something like:

Je suis etudier a la lycee

'ju sw-ee air-too-dee-air a la lee-say'

:tongue:
Other than the grammar and the "ju" (I say something like "shuh") that's how I'd say it. Is this bad?

*worried*
College...Ich kann es nicht tun :'(
I just want to crawl into a hole and disappear :sad:
Other than the grammar and the "ju" (I say something like "shuh") that's how I'd say it. Is this bad?

*worried*

I meant the grammar :tongue:

But:

Je suis etudier... = zhu s-weez et-oo-dee-air... (you pronounce the final s on suis because the next word begins with a vowel)

Lycée = lee-sai(r) / lee-say

I can say it but can't think of the spelling to pronunciate :lol:
Original post by thatitootoo
College...Ich kann es nicht tun :'(
I just want to crawl into a hole and disappear :sad:

Difficulties in German? what is your specific problem? talk to me, I can understand you in both English and German :wink:. By the way this is for you to cheer you up. :candycane:

Latest

Trending

Trending