Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marii101)
    Ahaah, it is. I watched all the episodes from the start, I'm currently on 136/160 I think.....:awesome:

I'm in Yr10 so I can't learn it at Uni. I self-learn the language; although I haven't got any books yet. I'm looking to get New Practical Chinese Reader soon. I find that I'm motivated by setting myself a goal of passing YCT 4 which is the equivalent to HSK 3 next year. (The HSK is a Chinese proficiency test and so is the YCT, it's just that the YCT is for people my age (15 and under).

You should try using the confucius institute's website. I can't link it here right now but if you search the name in Google, you'll find them. They have beginner child series that build up from the basics for free so you should check it out (it's called Happy Chinese which is 快乐汉语 in Mandarin - they also have a purchasable book series.)

Also check out Memrise to build vocab, they also have Korean lists that you can use (pretty much every major language is covered).

Yes, the grammar is like a relief compared to the other parts of the language. Most of the concepts are simple once you learn them; kinda like Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Checked out memrise. Tis a godsend! Thanks. If you go on korean-flashcards.com (there's Chinese too) you can view sample sentences. It's really good for random vocabulary too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wasabi)
    Checked out memrise. Tis a godsend! Thanks. If you go on korean-flashcards.com (there's Chinese too) you can view sample sentences. It's really good for random vocabulary too.
    You're welcome!
    Thanks for the recommendation, I used the Korean version before and was already subscribed to the French and Chinese ones. Yeah, they are really good. If you don't mind me asking, how did you get interested in learning Asian languages?

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome!
    Thanks for the recommendation, I used the Korean version before and was already subscribed to the French and Chinese ones. Yeah, they are really good. If you don't mind me asking, how did you get interested in learning Asian languages?
    Ah so how many languages are you doing now? And is this something you consider as a future or for funsys?

Well my mother's Chinese so I guess I wanted to learn it properly. I've had lessons for about 10 years but having been on a very long break, my chinese has gone downhill somewhat. I want to get up to speed with it, up to a business standard at least, so I'll be taking it at uni as a supplementary module. As for the Korean, it's such a fun language to learn! So straightforward and relatively easy given there's heavy overlap with Chinese. It's a lifelong ambition to master all of the oriental languages for me! How about you? You seem incredibly self motivated to do languages outside of your gcses. If I remember correctly, I was wasting A LOT of time in year 10

ReputationRep:
    Ah so how many languages are you doing now? And is this something you consider as a future or for funsys?

Well my mother's Chinese so I guess I wanted to learn it properly. I've had lessons for about 10 years but having been on a very long break, my chinese has gone downhill somewhat. I want to get up to speed with it, up to a business standard at least, so I'll be taking it at uni as a supplementary module. As for the Korean, it's such a fun language to learn! So straightforward and relatively easy given there's heavy overlap with Chinese. It's a lifelong ambition to master all of the oriental languages for me! How about you? You seem incredibly self motivated to do languages outside of your gcses. If I remember correctly, I was wasting A LOT of time in year 10
    Wow, you've had Chinese lessons for nearly the length of my entire life. Lol. Even if you say that it's not as good as it was before, your Chinese must still be miles better than mine.

Well, it's compulsory for me to learn French at school for GCSE and I should be entered to take it early (In Yr10 instead at the end of Yr11). The only other foreign language I'm actively learning is Mandarin at the moment and even then, I only have enough time to touch on it during the week-ends. I normally study for about 2-3 hours using online resources and stuff alongside my homework, but my schoolwork is my number 1 priority, no matter how much I may love learning languages.

I have an ambition somewhat close to yours. I just want to master at least one European and one Oriental language (which I'm on the path to doing already) I don't really want to be too heavily bombarded with a wishlist of languages because I think the hardest thing for aspiring polyglots is stopping at a certain number of languages. After you start, nearly every language seems interesting and you have the urge to explore it. (At least I do, I can't really speak for anyone else.)

Languages are most certainly not something I want to pursue career wise, though. Although I must admit that the idea of using foreign languages as a part of my future job sounds awesome and I do hope to be able to do that when I'm older. It's mainly just a hobby which, if mastered, could lead to better career opportunities, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, you've had Chinese lessons for nearly the length of my entire life. Lol. Even if you say that it's not as good as it was before, your Chinese must still be miles better than mine.

Well, it's compulsory for me to learn French at school for GCSE and I should be entered to take it early (In Yr10 instead at the end of Yr11). The only other foreign language I'm actively learning is Mandarin at the moment and even then, I only have enough time to touch on it during the week-ends. I normally study for about 2-3 hours using online resources and stuff alongside my homework, but my schoolwork is my number 1 priority, no matter how much I may love learning languages.

I have an ambition somewhat close to yours. I just want to master at least one European and one Oriental language (which I'm on the path to doing already) I don't really want to be too heavily bombarded with a wishlist of languages because I think the hardest thing for aspiring polyglots is stopping at a certain number of languages. After you start, nearly every language seems interesting and you have the urge to explore it. (At least I do, I can't really speak for anyone else.)

Languages are most certainly not something I want to pursue career wise, though. Although I must admit that the idea of using foreign languages as a part of my future job sounds awesome and I do hope to be able to do that when I'm older. It's mainly just a hobby which, if mastered, could lead to better career opportunities, I guess.

Well, I can't read a whole newspaper article, but I can do about 70% of a magazine article concerning trivial celeb news

Don't schools offer mandarin now as a foreign language? You should probably find a weekend school to go to in your local area that offers chinese. You'll find progress to be much faster with fellow language learners. It's the intonation that annoys me more than anything!

I concur about the stopping after x number of languages. Everyday I want to start a new language, at risk of abandoning my current one! This is such a terrible habit!

ReputationRep:
    Well, I can't read a whole newspaper article, but I can do about 70% of a magazine article concerning trivial celeb news

Don't schools offer mandarin now as a foreign language? You should probably find a weekend school to go to in your local area that offers chinese. You'll find progress to be much faster with fellow language learners. It's the intonation that annoys me more than anything!

I concur about the stopping after x number of languages. Everyday I want to start a new language, at risk of abandoning my current one! This is such a terrible habit!

Well I can certainly see why one would find reading a magazine article easier than a newspaper.

Yes they do, the thing is that my school doesn't have a teacher to teach the syllabus; although they allow you to sit exams in languages which they don't offer for free. E.g. My friend is being tutored for GCSE Japanese and she'll take it in Yr11. All you have to do is literally go up to a MFL teacher, tell them you're learning a language and want to take it for GCSE and they'll sort out the rest for you. Well, I might be exaggerating about the simplicity of the process but you get my gist, right?

I actually never thought about finding a week-end school before. Thanks for the suggestion. It's just the price that I'm worried about, to be honest.

Ahah, I think it's like a disease that comes with having interest in languages. I've tried to restrain myself though. One day, I suddenly thought that I'd learn Thai, but once I'd tried mimicking the accent and intonation, I found out just how hard the language actually was. The voices of the speakers were so high, my voice was even lower than a man's one! I gave up straight away.

ReputationRep:
    Well I can certainly see why one would find reading a magazine article easier than a newspaper.

Yes they do, the thing is that my school doesn't have a teacher to teach the syllabus; although they allow you to sit exams in languages which they don't offer for free. E.g. My friend is being tutored for GCSE Japanese and she'll take it in Yr11. All you have to do is literally go up to a MFL teacher, tell them you're learning a language and want to take it for GCSE and they'll sort out the rest for you. Well, I might be exaggerating about the simplicity of the process but you get my gist, right?

I actually never thought about finding a week-end school before. Thanks for the suggestion. It's just the price that I'm worried about, to be honest.

Ahah, I think it's like a disease that comes with having interest in languages. I've tried to restrain myself though. One day, I suddenly thought that I'd learn Thai, but once I'd tried mimicking the accent and intonation, I found out just how hard the language actually was. The voices of the speakers were so high, my voice was even lower than a man's one! I gave up straight away.
    It sounds ridiculous but the magazine articles use more casual vocabulary. I suppose you could say a similar comparison would be the Sun vs the Telegraph. Bit dumbed down to suit me

Ah those weekend schools aren't as expensive as you think. I went on Saturdays from 9 to 1 and it was something like 100 pounds for a whole year. Mega cheapo or what?

The Thai script is crazy! Arabic has to be my last language to learn though! Blatantly not going for a position at GCHQ

ReputationRep:
    It sounds ridiculous but the magazine articles use more casual vocabulary. I suppose you could say a similar comparison would be the Sun vs the Telegraph. Bit dumbed down to suit me

Ah those weekend schools aren't as expensive as you think. I went on Saturdays from 9 to 1 and it was something like 100 pounds for a whole year. Mega cheapo or what?

The Thai script is crazy! Arabic has to be my last language to learn though! Blatantly not going for a position at GCHQ
    Ahah, I get what you mean. So you speak more colloquial Chinese?

£100???? Can you please link me to the school you went to because I can't find anything nearly as cheap as that in London! Well, providing they have a branch somewhere in London.

I'm just mesmerized by the writing, it looks so cool! Arabic is probably on the top of the list of daunting scripts but being able to write it would literally blow my mind. I'll have to venture into that language someday too....GCHQ :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Ahah, I get what you mean. So you speak more colloquial Chinese?

£100???? Can you please link me to the school you went to because I can't find anything nearly as cheap as that in London! Well, providing they have a branch somewhere in London.

I'm just mesmerized by the writing, it looks so cool! Arabic is probably on the top of the list of daunting scripts but being able to write it would literally blow my mind. I'll have to venture into that language someday too....GCHQ :ahee:
    Not so much colloquial, more basic vocabulary. I mean, I couldn't translate an article from the telegraph word for word because I simply don't have the business/politics level vocabulary. Oh the shame.

Here's a link to a whole load of Chinese schools in the UK.
    http://www.chinese-channel.co.uk/en/comm_3.php

Just search for the one closest to you in London! These are like actual schools, typically inhabited by Chinese students sent there by their overbearing parents! I jest of course.

Ah these exotic scripts are amazing! More of an excuse to buy calligraphy pens hehe.

ReputationRep:
    Aujourd'hui il fait froid. J'ai trop de froid! <-- is that right?

Heute ist es mir kalt! Ich brauche einen Pulli! Ich werde heiße Pommes kaufen bevor ich nach Hause gehe.

ReputationRep:
    Not so much colloquial, more basic vocabulary. I mean, I couldn't translate an article from the telegraph word for word because I simply don't have the business/politics level vocabulary. Oh the shame.

Here's a link to a whole load of Chinese schools in the UK.
    http://www.chinese-channel.co.uk/en/comm_3.php

Just search for the one closest to you in London! These are like actual schools, typically inhabited by Chinese students sent there by their overbearing parents! I jest of course.

Ah these exotic scripts are amazing! More of an excuse to buy calligraphy pens hehe.
    There's nothing to be ashamed of! Once you start getting back into learning the language, I'm sure you'll pick things up fast. Plus, you've got your mum to help you, right?

Thanks soooooo much for that link. I found two that are 20mins away from where I am. No website though, I guess I'll have to phone or something.

Haha, that's another thing I'm afraid of, being placed in a class full of teens of Chinese descent who have been in the school for 5+ years and can speak so much better Chinese. It hurts my pride. :rolleyes: But I guess everyone had to start from the basics once...

If I ever tried to learn one of those languages, I think I'd be more focused on being able to write it than anything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octopus_Garden)

Heute ist es mir kalt! Ich brauche einen Pulli! Ich werde heiße Pommes kaufen bevor ich nach Hause gehe.
    I actually don't know... I think it's right! Although I have something to admit...

I learnt that you "have" heat and cold when I was taking a proficiency test :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    I am right if i say je ne pense pas que je sois bavarde? Subjunctive after je ne pense pas right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gilo98)
    I am right if i say je ne pense pas que je sois bavarde? Subjunctive after je ne pense pas right?
    Oui, bien que ce soit plus bien si tu dis "Je ne pense pas (que) être bavard"

You're a boy right? So no e.
    And if the subject is the same I think you'd say that. So say...

Mon ami ne pense pas que je sois bavard mais mon prof pense que le contraire.

?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)

?
    Ahhhh d'accord. Mais pourqoi le 'être bavard et ne le 'je suis'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octopus_Garden)

"Aujourd'hui il fait froid. J'ai trop de froid! <-- is that right?"

Oui, c'est correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gilo98)
    You can either say "Je ne pense pas être bavard" or "Je ne pense pas que je sois bavard".

?
    "Mon ami ne pense pas que je sois bavard mais mon prof' pense que le contraire."

2 options:
    "Mon ami ne pense pas que je sois bavard mais mon prof' pense que je le suis."

"Mon ami ne pense pas que je sois bavard mais mon prof' pense le contraire."

Hope that'll help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine .)
    You can either say "Je ne pense pas être bavard" or "Je ne pense pas que je sois bavard".

"Mon ami ne pense pas que je sois bavard mais mon prof' pense que le contraire."

2 options:
    "Mon ami ne pense pas que je sois bavard mais mon prof' pense que je le suis."

"Mon ami ne pense pas que je sois bavard mais mon prof' pense le contraire."

Hope that'll help!
    Thanks, makes sense now! +1

ReputationRep:
    x
    I knew you'd be in this list as soon as I saw the thread title. Vionar was a shock though.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2467552

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine .)
    "Aujourd'hui il fait froid. J'ai trop de froid! <-- is that right?"

Oui, c'est correct.
    Merci beaucoup!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.