Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super_kawaii)
    I did start teaching myself Spanish when I was in year 7, as my school didn't offer it-they only offered French and German. It is a language I really want to learn though, so I'm definitely going to take advantage of having Spanish speaking friends.

I'm 20. Currently in my 2nd year at uni, which is also my year abroad You?
    I had no interest in languages until this year and then it went crazy. My school only offered French which I didn't do much of.

Good

That's great, what degree are you studying? :teeth: did you meet your boyfriend there then?

J'ai seize ans :yep: 17 this January, currently in Year 12

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    I had no interest in languages until this year and then it went crazy. My school only offered French which I didn't do much of.

Good

That's great, what degree are you studying? :teeth: did you meet your boyfriend there then?

J'ai seize ans :yep: 17 this January, currently in Year 12
    I'm doing Chinese with Japanese at Sheffield. Sadly I don't get to go to Japan as part of my course, but I'm planning on going out there during the holidays.

Yeah, I did meet my boyfriend here-I met him through one of my friends who was here last year

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Chinese with Japanese at Sheffield. Sadly I don't get to go to Japan as part of my course, but I'm planning on going out there during the holidays.

Yeah, I did meet my boyfriend here-I met him through one of my friends who was here last year
    That's crazy awesome. Can you recommend any books to learn Mandarin? I wanted to learn Japanese but it's too much all of it :eek:

Ah nice :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    That's crazy awesome. Can you recommend any books to learn Mandarin? I wanted to learn Japanese but it's too much all of it :eek:

Ah nice :ahee:
    I know Schaums does a good Chinese grammar book. I use it in addition to my class materials and I really find it helps solidify the grammar points in my mind

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schaums-Outl...hinese+grammar

For learning Chinese, there's also the 'Colloquial Chinese' series, which also introduces characters which I find really useful. I used this series to teach myself a bit of Chinese before I applied to uni.

ReputationRep:
    I know Schaums does a good Chinese grammar book. I use it in addition to my class materials and I really find it helps solidify the grammar points in my mind

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schaums-Outl...hinese+grammar

For learning Chinese, there's also the 'Colloquial Chinese' series, which also introduces characters which I find really useful. I used this series to teach myself a bit of Chinese before I applied to uni.
    I'll buy that, but I think learning how to write should come after for a language like Chinese but then hmmmm... Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Je ne pourrais pas dire je n'ai pas fini (et il est probable que je ne finirai pas) ce livre

Pour A2 on étudie les choristes pour l'examen et Amélie.
    Quel livre étudie-tu pour la litérature?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aasvogel)
    Quel livre étudie-tu pour la litérature?
    Je ne fais pas la littérature

ReputationRep:
    Je ne fais pas la littérature
    La littérature est obligatoire pour A2, n'est-ce pas? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aasvogel)
    La littérature est obligatoire pour A2, n'est-ce pas? :eek:
    Non. C'est facultatif

Pour l'exposé on peut choisir d'étudier un film, un livre ou une région en France.

Pour moi. J'étudie trois films :yep: analyses n'est pas plus facile si je suis honnête mais... Easier to do imo, because watching a film is more fun.

ReputationRep:
    I'll buy that, but I think learning how to write should come after for a language like Chinese but then hmmmm... Thanks!
    No, no, no, you should learn how to write as your going along, or it'll be nigh on impossible

ReputationRep:
    No, no, no, you should learn how to write as your going along, or it'll be nigh on impossible
    Oh okay! I wrote this yesterday...

Name:  1386491536427.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  19.2 KB

But the dot is meant to be in the middle and a bit bigger.

How do you learn all those characters :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay! I wrote this yesterday...

Name:  1386491536427.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  19.2 KB

But the dot is meant to be in the middle and a bit bigger.

How do you learn all those characters :eek:
    The dot's right, don't worry

I basically write them out over and over again until I finally get them in my head.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    The dot's right, don't worry

I basically write them out over and over again until I finally get them in my head.
    My gosh that's crazy.

That book you mentioned yesterday, I read the reviews and some gave it 1 star and said it wasn't very useful if you want to exceed GCSE level

There was a different book, but it cost £25 so I don't know if I want to spend that lightly without knowing about it.

What is Chinese grammar? Like what things do they have?

ReputationRep:
    My gosh that's crazy.

That book you mentioned yesterday, I read the reviews and some gave it 1 star and said it wasn't very useful if you want to exceed GCSE level

There was a different book, but it cost £25 so I don't know if I want to spend that lightly without knowing about it.

What is Chinese grammar? Like what things do they have?
    I honestly think that book's good-it had quite a few grammar points that we never covered in first year, and we were at an A Level standard by Christmas.

Chinese grammar can be difficult. They have the so called 把 (ba) construction, which basically places emphasis on the object. I always found that one hard, as well as 着 (zhe) which indicates the progressive state. It's this whole idea that Chinese doesn't have tenses which is hard. Technically it does have tenses, it's just verbs don't decline unlike in European languages

ReputationRep:
    I honestly think that book's good-it had quite a few grammar points that we never covered in first year, and we were at an A Level standard by Christmas.

Chinese grammar can be difficult. They have the so called 把 (ba) construction, which basically places emphasis on the object. I always found that one hard, as well as 着 (zhe) which indicates the progressive state. It's this whole idea that Chinese doesn't have tenses which is hard. Technically it does have tenses, it's just verbs don't decline unlike in European languages
    Okay, then, I'll buy it and see

zhe ge = that? Or this?

So would you see a difference in:

I play
    I am playing
    I played
    I was playing
    I will play
    I will be playing

?

ReputationRep:
    Okay, then, I'll buy it and see

zhe ge = that? Or this?

So would you see a difference in:

I play
    I am playing
    I played
    I was playing
    I will play
    I will be playing

?
    zhe ge means this, if you want to say 'that', you'll want to say nei ge

You'll see minor differences, but it's only with suffixes

我打乒乓球
    我打着乒乓球
    我打了乒乓球
    我打了乒乓球
    我会打乒乓球
    我会打乒乓球

They're the different 'conjugations' for play with table tennis, although 'to play' doesn't have one direct translation-it depends on how you play it

ReputationRep:
    zhe ge means this, if you want to say 'that', you'll want to say nei ge

You'll see minor differences, but it's only with suffixes

我打乒乓球
    我打着乒乓球
    我打了乒乓球
    我打了乒乓球
    我会打乒乓球
    我会打乒乓球

They're the different 'conjugations' for play with table tennis, although 'to play' doesn't have one direct translation-it depends on how you play it
    So just from what I can see I'd say:

着 = present continuous
    了 = past, no differentiation between them.
    会 = future, again, no differences

ReputationRep:
    So just from what I can see I'd say:

着 = present continuous
    了 = past, no differentiation between them.
    会 = future, again, no differences
    Well, there are two past suffixes. 了 indicates something that has been completed e.g. 回家以后我做了我的作 Once I got home I did my homework.

There's also 过 which indicates past experience e.g. 我去过法国 I've been to France, or 我吃过混沌 I've eaten wonton before

It's quite hard at the start, but you get used to it

ReputationRep:
    Well, there are two past suffixes. 了 indicates something that has been completed e.g. 回家以后我做了我的作 Once I got home I did my homework.

There's also 过 which indicates past experience e.g. 我去过法国 I've been to France, or 我吃过混沌 I've eaten wonton before

It's quite hard at the start, but you get used to it
    I understand! I read that as "I've eaten woman before" :lol:

I'm going to learn the pronouns and how to write them first :yep:

Do they change for whether they're the indirect/direct object, subject etc?

ReputationRep:
    I understand! I read that as "I've eaten woman before" :lol:

I'm going to learn the pronouns and how to write them first :yep:

Do they change for whether they're the indirect/direct object, subject etc?
    No, they don't change at all in Mandarin

我=I/me
    你=You (singular, like tu in French)
    他=he/him
    她=she/her
    我们=we/us
    你们=you (plural, like vous in French)
    他们/她们=they/them

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.