Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Okay

Chemistry :rofl: I want it with a language though, so Chinese would be awesome but don't think that's possible.
    I'm sure you'll be able to find something if you google it. I'm surprised you don't want to do something straight language based, seeing how big this thread is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super_kawaii)
    I'm sure you'll be able to find something if you google it. I'm surprised you don't want to do something straight language based, seeing how big this thread is
    I like chemistry too much tbh :lol:

So yeah :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    I like chemistry too much tbh :lol:

So yeah :ahee:
    I guess if you're in year 12, you'll have all the UCAS stuff coming up. Stressful business it is-I remember it well!

加油

ReputationRep:
    I guess if you're in year 12, you'll have all the UCAS stuff coming up. Stressful business it is-I remember it well!

加油

What does that mean? each character?

ReputationRep:

加油
    Do you have a Mandarin keyboard? Or do you individually look up each character/learn alt codes ()?

Or some other means I haven't considered.

ReputationRep:

What does that mean? each character?
    It's pronounced jiāyóu and means 'come on' or 'you can do it'

(Original post by MangoFreak)
    Do you have a Mandarin keyboard? Or do you individually look up each character/learn alt codes ()?

Or some other means I haven't considered.
    I've got a Mandarin keyboard on my computer so I just type in the pinyin and select the right character(s)

ReputationRep:
    It's pronounced jiāyóu and means 'come on' or 'you can do it'

I've got a Mandarin keyboard on my computer so I just type in the pinyin and select the right character(s)
    Okay, I won't remember that I can't see a ni! :cry: or is an expression?

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I won't remember that I can't see a ni! :cry: or is an expression?
    It's an expression. A thing about languages is they can't always be directly translated. I mean, 加油 can also mean 'to oil', 'to lubricate' or 'to refuel'

ReputationRep:
    It's an expression. A thing about languages is they can't always be directly translated. I mean, 加油 can also mean 'to oil', 'to lubricate' or 'to refuel'
    :mmm:

That second character looks like an oil lamp

ReputationRep:

Well it does mean oil :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    Well it does mean oil :mmm:
    Makes sense doesn't it

Nope, if you're using the descriptive 的 construction, you don't need a measure word. Only with numbers, 这,那 and 哪 do you need a measure word, as far as I know
    You're right. My mistake. Sorry!

What about this sentence:

第二个优点是中学生可 学外语得更快
    Shouldn't '得' go after a verb?

ReputationRep:
    Makes sense doesn't it
    Yep, it does

(Original post by Kolya)
    You're right. My mistake. Sorry!

What about this sentence:

Shouldn't '得' go after a verb?
    Maybe, I was writing this late last night. Maybe I'm forgetting the verb repetition rule when it comes to verb+得+adj.

ReputationRep:
    Ich habe nicht auf Deutsch für eine lange zeit gesprochen. Ich hoffe dass, Sie mich verstehen können.

ReputationRep:

HAHAH never heard anyone describe it like that before.

ReputationRep:
    Yes! One I always find satisfying is 歡 from 喜歡。Or maybe 懂。Always so satisfying! I do have a major love for characters!
    But that's traditional. Don't you write in simplified?
    No worries Yeah, the character 们 is added to indicate plurality with personal pronouns, so 我 (I/me) becomes 我们 (we/us) etc. One of my previous comments shows all the personal pronouns in Mandarin.

Wouldn't mind learning a bit of Cantonese-it sounds so nice
    Probably biased but Cantonese is so melodic and graceful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AquisM)
    But that's traditional. Don't you write in simplified?

Probably biased but Cantonese is so melodic and graceful.
    I'm currently learning simplified, although when I go back to uni for 3rd year I'll have to start learning traditional characters. Apparently the vast majority of stuff in 4th year is in traditional. Really looking forward to it

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently learning simplified, although when I go back to uni for 3rd year I'll have to start learning traditional characters. Apparently the vast majority of stuff in 4th year is in traditional. Really looking forward to it
    Ah I see. I'm from Hong Kong, so I naturally am in favour of traditional characters. Nothing wrong with simplified, just that I find traditional more graceful, and it looks better in calligraphy.

ReputationRep:
    Ah I see. I'm from Hong Kong, so I naturally am in favour of traditional characters. Nothing wrong with simplified, just that I find traditional more graceful, and it looks better in calligraphy.
    Yeah, they do look so much better than simplified! I can wait to get started learning them next year

ReputationRep:
    HAHAH never heard anyone describe it like that before.
    Haha it it does though. Found a keyboard to write on...

It's a **** though .

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.