The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9320
Original post by L'Evil Fish
My intonation and pronounciation might be right :eviltongue:
Don't get me wrong - my comment wasn't anything to do with you. Pretty much every second-language learner has some foreign-ness to their accent!

I don't have hard evidence to support this, but I think comprehending thick foreign accents is something Brits do well. Most Brits are familiar with thick Indian/Chinese/German accents. But the number of people speaking Mandarin with a British accent is very small, and so it might take some time for native speakers to become accustomed to our accents. I dunno.

(Interestingly, it seems older Chinese people are more tolerant of thick accents.)
(edited 10 years ago)
Had two Chinese exams today-went really well I think! Out for some drinks tonight before my last exam tomorrow morning!
Original post by super_kawaii
They're the same though. When handwriting though, definitely learn simplified first.

Yeah, I learnt the other way but my keyboard doesn't come up with the simplified :frown:

Original post by Kolya
Don't get me wrong - my comment wasn't anything to do with you. Pretty much every second-language learner has some foreign-ness to their accent!

I don't have hard evidence to support this, but I think comprehending thick foreign accents is something Brits do well. Most Brits are familiar with thick Indian/Chinese/German accents. But the number of people speaking Mandarin with a British accent is very small, and so it might take some time for native speakers to become accustomed to our accents. I dunno.

(Interestingly, it seems older Chinese people are more tolerant of thick accents.)

Yeah I know :P I was joking, although I think I'm sounding more and more Chinese by the minute :wink: not.

Are you fluent then?

Had two Chinese exams today-went really well I think! Out for some drinks tonight before my last exam tomorrow morning!

Surely you'd drink after the exam? :tongue:
Yeah, I learnt the other way but my keyboard doesn't come up with the simplified :frown:

Surely you'd drink after the exam? :tongue:

I was just a bit confused 'cause in the first post you wrote the wrong word completely.

Yeah, we like to go hard though. Noone's nervous about the exam tomorrow so, no worries.
I was just a bit confused 'cause in the first post you wrote the wrong word completely.

Yeah, we like to go hard though. Noone's nervous about the exam tomorrow so, no worries.

I just wrote fast so maybe the character came out wrong :redface:

Hahaha :woo:
I just wrote fast so maybe the character came out wrong :redface:

Hahaha :woo:

Exams finally over :woo: Couldn't be happier!
Exams finally over :woo: Couldn't be happier!

:biggrin: :woo:

Question, because I haven't read my grammar book for specific sections yet.

Does the future tense really exist?

了= past tense completed action suffix
:biggrin: :woo:

Question, because I haven't read my grammar book for specific sections yet.

Does the future tense really exist?

了= past tense completed action suffix

Tense doesn't exist in Mandarin in the sense that verbs cannot conjugate to express time of when said verb happened. However, various prefixes and suffixes can create timeframes, similar to verb conjugation in European languages.

http://mandarin.about.com/od/time/a/Mandarin-Timeframes.htm
Tense doesn't exist in Mandarin in the sense that verbs cannot conjugate to express time of when said verb happened. However, various prefixes and suffixes can create timeframes, similar to verb conjugation in European languages.

http://mandarin.about.com/od/time/a/Mandarin-Timeframes.htm

謝謝!

I'm going to read the article.
我要看(article)了
(edited 10 years ago)
謝謝!

I'm going to read the article.
我要看(article)了

不用谢
不用谢

Is that right? ^

我要看article了
Is that right? ^

我要看article了

Yeah, if you want to say you're going to start reading it right now. If you want to say 'I'll read it a bit later' you'll want to say 我晚一点看本文。
Yeah, if you want to say you're going to start reading it right now. If you want to say 'I'll read it a bit later' you'll want to say 我晚一点看本文。

我看了(article)

:biggrin:
我看了(article)

:biggrin:

看完了吗?
Reply 9334
Yeah I know :P I was joking, although I think I'm sounding more and more Chinese by the minute :wink: not.

Are you fluent then?
No. Far from it. I can read alright, though.

I am not a big grammar nut, but I'd read your book's section on the grammar carefully, rather than trying to get it intuitively. There's a few fair contexts where it is used (and not used). Perhaps read this webpage before you read the book, as it's a clear introduction: http://chinesegrammar.info/particles/le-grammar-summary/

(Read this note after you've read the webpage:

Spoiler

)
Original post by Kolya
No. Far from it. I can read alright, though.

I am not a big grammar nut, but I'd read your book's section on the grammar carefully, rather than trying to get it intuitively. There's a few fair contexts where it is used (and not used). Perhaps read this webpage before you read the book, as it's a clear introduction: http://chinesegrammar.info/particles/le-grammar-summary/

(Read this note after you've read the webpage:

Spoiler

)

I'll read it later :biggrin:
おはよう元気ですか?
Original post by maths learner
おはよう元気ですか?

Is that Japanese? :colondollar:

我不知道
Is that Japanese? :colondollar:

我不知道