Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super_kawaii)
    I never knew you could do it in a country which doesn't have English as its official language, but even my own uni does it apparently, but only Europe :rolleyes:
    哈哈哈哈

我in China繪學chemistry...! Hong Kong if I go to notts. Probably be in English the lectures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    哈哈哈哈

我in China繪學chemistry...! Hong Kong if I go to notts. Probably be in English the lectures.
    我会在中国学化学/我 在中國學化學

绘/繪 means to paint and isn't the word used to describe things is the future. Instead you need to use 会/會 which is pronounced the same

I only thought Nottingham had campuses in Ningbo and Malaysia, not Hong Kong :confused: Although I don't know anything about the Chemistry department so

ReputationRep:
    我会在中国学化学/我 在中國學化學

绘/繪 means to paint and isn't the word used to describe things is the future. Instead you need to use 会/會 which is pronounced the same

I only thought Nottingham had campuses in Ningbo and Malaysia, not Hong Kong :confused: Although I don't know anything about the Chemistry department so
    会在 what's that as a whole?

I'm pretty sure it said Hong Kong

ReputationRep:
    会在 what's that as a whole?

I'm pretty sure it said Hong Kong
    They're separate words. 会 indicates future tense (although if you have a time word such as next month, next year etc, it can be dropped), whereas 在 is a location word and in this case means 'in'

ReputationRep:
    They're separate words. 会 indicates future tense (although if you have a time word such as next month, next year etc, it can be dropped), whereas 在 is a location word and in this case means 'in'
    Ash I see, what's the pinyin?

Oh wait, that's 繪 isn't it? Hui4?

ReputationRep:
    Arabic in my opinion.

What's the use? And which do you enjoy more?
    I'd have it as an asset.

Personally I think Korean sounds nicer than Arabic, but it all depends which one you think you're more likely to stick with
    Thanks for the input.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seohyun)
    I'd have it as an asset.

Thanks for the input.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
    Arabic then imo

ReputationRep:
    Ash I see, what's the pinyin?

Oh wait, that's 繪 isn't it? Hui4?
    No, 会 in its traditional form is 會。 繪 is 绘 in its simplified form and means something completely different. They are both pronounced huì though

ReputationRep:
    No, 会 in its traditional form is 會。 繪 is 绘 in its simplified form and means something completely different. They are both pronounced huì though
    My keyboard is so annoying, seems to use traditional characters so even when I'm meant to use something I don't know which to use.

繪 and 會 , I meant the latter

I was reading about the future. You either use 會, 有? Depending on will/are going to, and also context words like next year etc

ReputationRep:
    My keyboard is so annoying, seems to use traditional characters so even when I'm meant to use something I don't know which to use.

繪 and 會 , I meant the latter

I was reading about the future. You either use 會, 有? Depending on will/are going to, and also context words like next year etc
    You can't use 有 you3 for the future. You can occasionally use 要 yào though. 要 has a more 'I want to so I will' nuance to it, whereas 会 is a lot softer. They can both mean will and to be going to

ReputationRep:
    You can't use 有 you3 for the future. You can occasionally use 要 yào though. 要 has a more 'I want to so I will' nuance to it, whereas 会 is a lot softer. They can both mean will and to be going to
    I wrote 要 and then changed it to 有 :mad:
    我會去中国

ReputationRep:
    I wrote 要 and then changed it to 有 :mad:
    我會去中国
    How could it have changed 要 to 有 when their pronunciations are different? You using your computer?

ReputationRep:
    How could it have changed 要 to 有 when their pronunciations are different? You using your computer?
    No it didn't change itself, I changed it thinking it was 有 not 要!

I'm on my phone

ReputationRep:
    No it didn't change itself, I changed it thinking it was 有 not 要!

I'm on my phone
    I know iPhones can support simplified keyboards but I don't know about other smartphones-you might be able to download one from your phone's app store though

ReputationRep:
    I know iPhones can support simplified keyboards but I don't know about other smartphones-you might be able to download one from your phone's app store though
    Mine is an android.

I'll have a look...

ReputationRep:
    Mine is an android.

I'll have a look...
    Mine only supports simplified characters because I bought it in Mainland China.

I checked the Nottingham site and you can go to HK, although they speak Cantonese there, not Mandarin

ReputationRep:

I checked the Nottingham site and you can go to HK, although they speak Cantonese there, not Mandarin
    Singapore then? They speak some Mandarin there don't they?

ReputationRep:
    我说中文!

ReputationRep:

Found something

Name:  1387794718420.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  38.6 KB

I found my error. It was in traditional character mode, do not need the app!

ReputationRep:
    Singapore then? They speak some Mandarin there don't they?
    Yeah, Mandarin's one of the 4 official languages of Singapore, alongside English, Malay and Tamil. English and Mandarin are the most widely spoken though.

我说中文!
    我说中文 means 'I speak Chinese'. If you want to say 'I can speak Chinese' you'll want to say 我会说汉语

Found something

Name:  1387794718420.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  38.6 KB
    Handwriting keyboards are always good, especially for pleco

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.