Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    Most times I see Dutch it amazes me how it seems closer to Danish than to German in so many ways.
    Same! I don't speak any Dutch but I can usually figure out some of what it says. Have considered learning it in the past but I don't think now would be the best time :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Most times I see Dutch it amazes me how it seems closer to Danish than to German in so many ways.
    Really?:eek: that's a surprise!
    (Original post by super_kawaii)
    Dutch is hard! Damn, I'm not used to being a beginner again!
    :mmm: what's hard about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Really?:eek: that's a surprise!

:mmm: what's hard about it?
    Just getting used to how to say everything! I'm not used to being a beginner again

ReputationRep:
    Just getting used to how to say everything! I'm not used to being a beginner again
    The pronunciation? It's very glottal isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    The pronunciation? It's very glottal isn't it?
    Seems quite, but it's not as harsh as German

ReputationRep:
    Haha remember 'hoofdpijn' :lol:
    What do you think about West Frisian then? xP

Dutch is hard! Damn, I'm not used to being a beginner again!
    O nee! Wat is er aan de hand?

(Original post by boumavilla)
    You wanna learn Dutch??!?! :teeth:

Come join the family.

Hoi! :gah:

Nu heb ik drie Nederlandse boeken!!! :woo: Mijn vriend heeft voor mij Harry Potter en de Vuurbeker gekocht. :yep:
    Jouw gezicht weer! (Your face again!) :rolleyes: :lol:

Dat is aardig van je vriend! Kan je het wel lezen?

As always, I've made some slight alterations to your quote
    You might be interested to know that 'to have bought' is a regular past participle in German (kaufen - gekauft), but not in Dutch (kopen - gekocht) 'gekocht' incidentally means 'to have cooked' in German (kochen-gekocht)

I expect only Ronove could follow this random cross-linguistic train of thought at this stage :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    Seems quite, but it's not as harsh as German
    Echt waar? / Echt wahr? / Really?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatitootoo)

Jou gezicht weer! (Your face again!) :rolleyes: :lol:

You might be interested to know that 'to have bought' is a regular past participle in German (kaufen - gekauft), but not in Dutch (kopen - gekocht) 'gekocht' incidentally means 'to have cooked' in German (kochen-gekocht)

I expect only Ronove could follow this random cross-linguistic train of thought at this stage :mmm:
    I don't think I've ever actually bothered looking at any examples of West Frisian, how naughty of me. :teehee:

I would have skipped over the more detailed Dutch talk had I not seen the 'gekocht' sentence and done a double-take.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I've ever actually bothered looking at any examples of West Frisian, how naughty of me. :teehee:

I would have skipped over the more detailed Dutch talk had I not seen the 'gekocht' sentence and done a double-take.
    Ich habe gekocht (egg) (don't know gender, but it'd be accusative right?)

ReputationRep:

:teehee: You are forgiven, Roney!
    West Frisian is definitely the 'Romanian' of the the Germanic language family

ReputationRep:
    Ich habe gekocht (egg) (don't know gender, but it'd be accusative right?)
    As in I boiled an egg? That would indeed be accusative. It's ein Ei (neuter). Ich habe ein Ei gekocht. Nun esse ich das gekochte Ei.

ReputationRep:
    As in I boiled an egg? That would indeed be accusative. It's ein Ei (neuter). Ich habe ein Ei gekocht. Nun esse ich das gekochte Ei.
    I fried it

Now eat I the cooked egg = crazy word order I'd have said

I now eat, the cooked egg

ReputationRep:
    I fried it

I don't think you can say gekocht in that case, it literally means boiled. A fried egg is ein Spiegelei, and to fry something is etwas braten or etwas in der Pfanne braten.

Ich habe ein Spiegelei gebraten.

And the word order honestly becomes sheer instinct as time goes on.

ReputationRep:
    I fried it

Hmmm I might be able to top that word order, but not sure if it would still be 'authentic German', but I'll post it anyway

"Ich bin dabei, das gekochte Ei zu essen"

And I will most certaintly not provide a literal translation for this one :cool:

ReputationRep:

Jouw gezicht weer! (Your face again!) :rolleyes: :lol:

Echt waar? / Echt wahr? / Really?
    It's just quite hard to keep up really. Step by step I guess, just like I have done with the other languages I've learnt.

I guess I think it sounds nice from just hearing it as pillow talk I guess :love:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you can say gekocht in that case, it literally means boiled. A fried egg is ein Spiegelei, and to fry something is etwas braten or etwas in der Pfanne braten.

Ich habe ein Spiegelei gebraten.

And the word order honestly becomes sheer instinct as time goes on.
    Oh :lol: maybe not then

Hopefully, although I'm focussing on Spanish and Italian I think! German for the summer...

Hmmm I might be able to top that word order, but not sure if it would still be 'authentic German', but I'll post it anyway

"Ich bin dabei, das gekochte Ei zu essen"

And I will most certaintly not provide a literal translation for this one :cool:
    I am ..., it's cooked egg you eat?

ReputationRep:
    It's just quite hard to keep up really. Step by step I guess, just like I have done with the other languages I've learnt.

I guess I think it sounds nice from just hearing it as pillow talk I guess :love:
    Dat snap ik! :yep:
    Neem het rustig aan. één voor één
    ("één voor één" is the expression for "one by one" or "one step at a time")

De taal der liefde!
    (That's an old idiom from back when Dutch still used cases) "Die Sprache der Liebe" sound familiar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l'evil fish)
    oh :lol: Maybe not then

hopefully, although i'm focussing on spanish and italian i think! German for the summer...

I am ..., it's cooked egg you eat?
    hahaahahahahahhh
    funny!
    =)

ReputationRep:
    Dat snap ik! :yep:
    Neem het rustig aan. één voor één
    ("één voor één" is the expression for "one by one" or "one step at a time")

De taal der liefde!
    (That's an old idiom from back when Dutch still used cases) "Die Sprache der Liebe" sound familiar?
    Yeah, I understand die Sprache der Liebe. Not something usually associated with Dutch. Usually it's French but I honestly don't get that association

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I understand die Sprache der Liebe. Not something usually associated with Dutch. Usually it's French but I honestly don't get that association
    But I thought all languages get that status during "pillow talk" ;D

:yep: De meeste mensen vinden Frans 'romantisch' en Nederlands 'lelijk' !

I need to work on my sarcasm skills :bigsmile:

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.