Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatitootoo)
    But I thought all languages get that status during "pillow talk" ;D

:yep: De meeste mensen vinden Frans 'romantisch' en Nederlands 'lelijk' !

I need to work on my sarcasm skills :bigsmile:
    Lelijk?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super_kawaii)
    Lelijk?
    Sie finden es so hässlich wie eine 'Halskrankheit' !
    Aber natürlich bin ich nicht damit einverstanden! Meiner Meinung nach ist die nierländische Sprache wirklich wunderschön! :grin:

ReputationRep:
    Sie finden es so hässlich wie eine 'Halskrankheit' !
    Aber natürlich bin ich nicht damit einverstanden! Meiner Meinung nach ist die nierländische Sprache wirklich wunderschön! :grin:
    Ja, Niederländisch gefällt mir so sehr! Ich stimme zu, dass es wirklich wunderschön ist, besonders wenn er es spricht. :love: Naja, ich sag immer zu viel. Es ist klar, dass ich verliebt bin, nicht? :love:

Du kannst klar Deustch, Englisch und Niederländisch. Kannst du andere Sprachen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super_kawaii)
    Ja, Niederländisch gefällt mir so sehr! Ich stimme zu, dass es wirklich wunderschön ist, besonders wenn er es spricht. :love: Naja, ich sag immer zu viel. Es ist klar, dass ich verliebt bin, nicht? :love:

Du kannst klar Deustch, Englisch und Niederländisch. Kannst du andere Sprachen?
    Du machst mich so eifersüchtig! hahah Es ist tatsächlich klar und das ist wirklich wunderschön!

Was du sagst, ist Blödsinn. Es gibt keine Sprache, die ich klar sprechen kann, aber danke! hahahah
    Ich komme ursprunglich aus West Afrika

ReputationRep:
    Du machst mich so eifersüchtig! hahah Es ist tatsächlich klar und das ist wirklich wunderschön!

Was du sagst, ist Blödsinn. Es gibt keine Sprache, die ich klar sprechen kann, aber danke! hahahah
    Ich komme ursprunglich aus West Afrika
    Nee, du lugst, dein Deutsch ist echt gut!

Aus welchem Land kommst du denn? Ich hab gedacht, dass du aus den Niederlanden kommst aber eigentlich nicht!

Ja, ich vermisse ihn so sehr aber er hat gesagt, dass er Sheffield (mein Unistat) besuchen will also freu ich mich sehr darauf! :love:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    This is probably a bit silly, but could someone explain how the verb piacere (to like) works in Italian? We were only really taught 'mi piace ......' in school, so when I went over present tense verbs on Duolingo I was confused :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmyJ14)
    This is probably a bit silly, but could someone explain how the verb piacere (to like) works in Italian? We were only really taught 'mi piace ......' in school, so when I went over present tense verbs on Duolingo I was confused :rolleyes:
    It's reflexive.

To please/pleasure oneself

It agrees with the actual thing you're talking about

(I think)

Same as spanish and me gusto
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    It's reflexive.

(I think)

Thanks.

I only did KS3 Spanish so that wouldn't be any help

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's reflexive.

(I think)

Gustar is not reflexive (and neither is piacere I think). I like is me gusta, not me gusto. Literally it means it is pleasing to me. It is like how you use plaire and say il me plaît in French.

P.S. Emy, it will be better to think of piacere as pleasing to somebody rather than like. Mi piace means it is pleasing to me. Gli piacciono gli orologi means the watches please him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! I'm doing OCR French AS and my mock is next week. Was just wondering if anyone has some advice they can give me on how to revise or any good resources? Thanks in advance !
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AquisM)
    Gustar is not reflexive (and neither is piacere I think). I like is me gusta, not me gusto. Literally it means it is pleasing to me. It is like how you use plaire and say il me plaît in French.

P.S. Emy, it will be better to think of piacere as pleasing to somebody rather than like. Mi piace means it is pleasing to me. Gli piacciono gli orologi means the watches please him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh, so 's'il vous plaît' is literally 'if it pleases you'? Never knew that

That makes sense! I do remember my teacher saying something about mi piace being it pleases me, now you mention it!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.

I only did KS3 Spanish so that wouldn't be any help
    Okay, ignore me. Not reflexive, but it happens to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh ****, yeah.

ReputationRep:

That makes sense! I do remember my teacher saying something about mi piace being it pleases me, now you mention it!
    Yes that's what it literally means! If you remember it that way, you won't get confused about what is the subject and object of piacere.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes that's what it literally means! If you remember it that way, you won't get confused about what is the subject and object of piacere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So why do you say the subject after the object?

Should it not be...

*the dogs* mi piacciano ?

ReputationRep:
    So why do you say the subject after the object?

Should it not be...

*the dogs* mi piacciano ?
    To be honest, I have no idea. Even in Spanish we say me gustan los perros. I guess it's just how it's said and it wouldn't feel right the other way. :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

''Oh, so 's'il vous plaît' is literally 'if it pleases you'? Never knew that '' - Seriously.... That's year 7 French. Oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I have no idea. Even in Spanish we say me gustan los perros. I guess it's just how it's said and it wouldn't feel right the other way. :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hmm, I wonder why!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

There is a well-known song in French which sounds wonderful. Unfortunately I don't understand the French language (some members in this thread know that, am I right? ). Nevertheless I want to understand the lyrics, so I need help again in translation. I need a French speaker who has good knowledges in French. Anyone who want to help me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    Hi guys!

There is a well-known song in French which sounds wonderful. Unfortunately I don't understand the French language (some members in this thread know that, am I right? ). Nevertheless I want to understand the lyrics, so I need help again in translation. I need a French speaker who has good knowledges in French. Anyone who want to help me?
    Seriously Google Translate will do a good enough job!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Seriously Google Translate will do a good enough job!
    I was testing google translator and what I got were pieces of words which are formed to a bad syntax. In other words: I don't understand the lyrics. Such experiences are the reason why I am looking for helpful members.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.