The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ronove
You say Gebroeders Grimm like they're Dutch... :wink:

Not Hansel and Gretel, I just looked it up - the story is literally called Brother and Sister (Brüderchen und Schwesterchen).

Ja!! That's the one!
There is also one in Danish, but I don't think it will help you with your C1 exam!!! :tongue:
Reply 1641
Original post by thatitootoo
Ja!! That's the one!
There is also one in Danish, but I don't think it will help you with your C1 exam!!! :tongue:

I have a giant tome of HC Andersen stories with a CD back in the UK - bit heavy for taking on a plane journey!

On the subject of my C1 exam - I have just been informed that I got 12 (the highest possible grade) in both reading and writing. I just rang my partner at work and cried at him. I think he may have started to cry as well lol.
Original post by Ronove
I have a giant tome of HC Andersen stories with a CD back in the UK - bit heavy for taking on a plane journey!

On the subject of my C1 exam - I have just been informed that I got 12 (the highest possible grade) in both reading and writing. I just rang my partner at work and cried at him. I think he may have started to cry as well lol.

Woooohoooo!!! Top marks xD Gut gemacht!! :biggrin: :biggrin:
Is there a critical listening exam you're yet to smash??
Reply 1643
Woooohoooo!!! Top marks xD Gut gemacht!! :biggrin: :biggrin:
Is there a critical listening exam you're yet to smash??

Jo tak!! :biggrin:

Listening is tomorrow, speaking is on 17 or 18 June. I'm so relieved it's insane. The exam is split into two parts, the reading and writing are one part and the listening and speaking are another - so I never have to do that particular exam again! All I needed was to pass, ie get a 02 in everything, for now, and a 7 in everything either now, in November or next summer so that I can get into Medicine here. I'm so much less worried about speaking and listening since it would appear I'm likely to at least pass them. :smile:
Original post by Ronove

:zomg::ymca:

:yay:

There aren't sufficient emoticons on TSR to express my congratulations!
Reply 1645
Original post by Octopus_Garden
:zomg::ymca:

:yay:

There aren't sufficient emoticons on TSR to express my congratulations!

Thank you, you're very kind! :colondollar:

Also just following a lead about a job which may seem very promising... you would not believe how desperate I'm getting in this job situation. I don't know how much they ask people to leave, in reality, if they don't have a job after the 6-month time limit in the country, and I don't know how long they have to remain outside of the country if that happens. I have 9 weeks to get a job!
Original post by Ronove
Thank you, you're very kind! :colondollar:

Also just following a lead about a job which may seem very promising... you would not believe how desperate I'm getting in this job situation. I don't know how much they ask people to leave, in reality, if they don't have a job after the 6-month time limit in the country, and I don't know how long they have to remain outside of the country if that happens. I have 9 weeks to get a job!

:zomg: no prssure!
Would things be at all easier if you 2 were already verhairatet? Ob wäre das nicht möglich? :redface:
*verheiratet :colondollar:
Reply 1648
:zomg: no prssure!
Would things be at all easier if you 2 were already verhairatet? Ob wäre das nicht möglich? :redface:

We've looked into it, and we're engaged (not for that reason, and being engaged makes no difference) :smile: - but in Denmark there's no real difference between married and unmarried couples.

There's also a Danish rule and an EU rule for things in most cases, and you can choose which way you want to do it if both are open to you.

Under the Danish rule, we would have to have lived together for two years and be able to prove it (as far as I can tell), and we've only lived together since September. I can't see any way for us to meet this requirement if they ask me to leave at the 6-month point.

Under EU rules, we could go and live in a different EU country for a period of 3 or 6 months (I forget which), exercising my partner's right to free movement, and by virtue of that I would then be entitled to a Danish social security number (possibly with some annoying fees to be paid). Many people apparently move to Malmö for a while and continue working in Copenhagen to get around this, but it's a bit early to be considering that I think, and my partner really likes where we live (and waited a long time to get this apartment) and it would be a rather unpleasant commute for him from Malmö.

Ultimately, if I don't get a job by 8 August, I may be asked to leave. I've written to the British Embassy to see if they can tell me if this is likely, and how soon I can come back if it does. I will still want to do the Danish AS-levels in Chem and Physics as a self-teacher in the spring so I can apply to the University of Copenhagen in March, and I hope I can do this without a Danish social security number if I still can't/am not allowed to get a job. Then it's just a case of continuing to try to get a job when I can, and/or waiting to (hopefully) start the degree in September 2014.

That was long. But it's good to talk. :tongue:
Original post by Ronove
We've looked into it, and we're engaged (not for that reason, and being engaged makes no difference) :smile: - but in Denmark there's no real difference between married and unmarried couples.

There's also a Danish rule and an EU rule for things in most cases, and you can choose which way you want to do it if both are open to you.

Under the Danish rule, we would have to have lived together for two years and be able to prove it (as far as I can tell), and we've only lived together since September. I can't see any way for us to meet this requirement if they ask me to leave at the 6-month point.

Under EU rules, we could go and live in a different EU country for a period of 3 or 6 months (I forget which), exercising my partner's right to free movement, and by virtue of that I would then be entitled to a Danish social security number (possibly with some annoying fees to be paid). Many people apparently move to Malmö for a while and continue working in Copenhagen to get around this, but it's a bit early to be considering that I think, and my partner really likes where we live (and waited a long time to get this apartment) and it would be a rather unpleasant commute for him from Malmö.

Ultimately, if I don't get a job by 8 August, I may be asked to leave. I've written to the British Embassy to see if they can tell me if this is likely, and how soon I can come back if it does. I will still want to do the Danish AS-levels in Chem and Physics as a self-teacher in the spring so I can apply to the University of Copenhagen in March, and I hope I can do this without a Danish social security number if I still can't/am not allowed to get a job. Then it's just a case of continuing to try to get a job when I can, and/or waiting to (hopefully) start the degree in September 2014.

Is it 'sambo' (in Swedish) or the equivalent by any chance?

I don't understand why you would have to leave the country? As long as you have money to support yourself and your an EU citizen I think its okay.

Theoretically, I was in Sweden for nearly a year without any sort of residence permit/certificate. I applied online but then they never got back to me to tell me it all went through successfully. They really do prefer doing these sorts of things in person/paper it seems. I was there on a study exchange for a year. Although you can only stay without any permit/certificate for 6 months or less IIRC.

P.S. I've read a few of your posts on this so thought I'd give some input.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1650
Original post by hessajee
Is it 'sambo' (in Swedish) or the equivalent by any chance?

I don't understand why you would have to leave the country? As long as you have money to support yourself and your an EU citizen I think its okay.

Theoretically, I was in Sweden for nearly a year without any sort of residence permit/certificate. I applied online but then they never got back to me to tell me it all went through successfully. They really do prefer doing these sorts of things in person/paper it seems. I was there on a study exchange for a year. Although you can only stay without any permit/certificate for 6 months or less IIRC.

P.S. I've read a few of your posts on this so thought I'd give some input.

In Danish 'sambo' is used to refer to a roommate. I've just checked and 'samliv' is the word for cohabitation, or 'samlivsforhold' or 'papirløst forhold' - 'samliv' seems like it can be used to mean something to do with the sexual side of being in a cohabitation arrangement so I'm not sure what the neutral term would be. :tongue:

To stay longer than 3 months as an EU citizen (and this applies to all EU countries, I've checked) you have to have a 'registration certificate', which is just a confirmation of your right as an EU citizen to work and live there. To get one, you have to either be a worker, be self-employed, have sufficient funds to support yourself, or some other options I've forgotten. As an unemployed EU citizen looking for a job in the country, you may stay up to 6 months (in some countries they still have this as 3 months but most say 6 as the definition of a 'reasonable period'). I can't find anything about how often they ask people to leave/how often they grant extensions (if ever), or how long a 'lockout' there would be. It certainly wouldn't make sense for them to let me in a week later to try for another 6 months if they cared enough to ask me to leave in the first place.

I do not have the funds required for the 'self-funding' requirement - I have absolutely no source of income, we live off my partner's fairly meagre salary (we have about 10k kroner per month to live on) and the amount given as appropriate for people applying for the 'Greencard' programme (can't find any amounts for EU citizens right now) is over £7000. I can't even borrow £7000 from anyone.

Though while checking for the amount I did stumble across this (not for the first time), if you can read Danish:
http://www.nyidanmark.dk/da-dk/Ophold/borgere_fra_eu_og_norden/eu_og_eos-statsborgere/eu_og_eos-statsborgere.htm
En EU/EØS-statsborger kan opholde sig frit i Danmark i op til 3 måneder. Hvis EU/EØS-statsborgeren søger efter arbejde under opholdet, han eller hun være her i op til 6 måneder og herefter længe, den arbejdssøgende kan dokumentere, at han eller hun fortsat søger arbejde og har reelle muligheder for at blive ansat.

It says that I can stay as long as I can document that I am still looking and have a real chance of being offered a job. However that is not the way the rule is described on the Foreign Office website or whatever it was I saw it on as a general EU-wide rule - it said that I would only be allowed to stay if I had upcoming interviews/job tests in the fortnight or so coming up when it reached the time limit. I'm now very interested to hear what the Embassy has to say, if they bother replying to my email.

Edit: Just found this info from the European Commission as well:
European Union citizens have the right to remain in another Member State for a reasonable period of time while looking for work. In the absence of a formal definition of a 'reasonable time', most Member States permit non-national citizens to remain on their territory for a period of six months while seeking employment. A citizen cannot be requested to leave the host Member State if he/she can prove that they are still genuinely looking for work and that they have a real prospect of finding a job.

I'm very confused/slightly irritated that a UK government website (still can't remember what it was) had information which strongly suggested that I could (and likely would) actually be asked to leave - that doesn't fit at all with the EC rule given above. Safe to say I'm feeling quite relieved right now. Though I still desperately need a job.
Edit 2: Though I can't work out whether the last sentence in that EC extract refers only to the six month period. Still, the Danish website's interpretation sounds more pleasant.
(edited 10 years ago)
x

Just out of interest, what books did you buy for Classical Greek? :smile:
Original post by TheFlowersInMay
If you find any good ones, please can you post them on this thread? I'm having trouble finding ones that are cheap enough for me. :frown:

"So You Really Want to Learn Latin" books 1 to 3 :smile: You can find them all here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_12?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=so+you+really+want+to+learn+latin&sprefix=so+you+reall%2Caps%2C338
Ronove
x

Well done on your results :ahee:

Cornwall, like everywhere else, has terrible mobile internet :colonhash:
Original post by justanotherindigo
Just out of interest, what books did you buy for Classical Greek? :smile:
First of all I bought Greek to GCSE, because they looked brilliant, precisely my learning style which is Grammar and Why. Unfortunately- there was no answer-book with them. (He still hasn't published one.:angry:) I knew from Latin that an answer book is essential: you cannot self-teach a language without answers. You need feed-back, otherwise your mistakes become entrenched.

(People say practice makes perfect. That's not true- it's practice makes permanent.)

Then I bought JACT books, because they actually publish an Independent Study Guide and tapes to hear the Greek, but I just never got on with it.
Original post by Ronove
x

Big congratulations on your results! :h:

:woo: :party: :awesome:
Original post by Ronove
xxx

Llongyfarchiadau!! ^^ Mae'n ddrwg 'da fi, I didn't see you had results back!
Original post by Ronove

Oh dear...you've really done your research! Okkkkkkkkk! So you have a wide range of options for this year...:tongue: I'm sure things will fall into place for you Ronove, as you're way too proactive to allow this overly complicated Danish immigration situation to go all 'smadret' infront of you! :biggrin:
Reply 1658
Thanks people. :h:
:zomg:[!

:'( Ich bin jetzt kahl
Ich will meine Haare zurück :mad:
Ich werde immer zu Hause bleiben!! :sad:

Latest

Trending

Trending