Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

In which we try to change an aspect of the country Watch

ReputationRep:
    Say you are now the Prime Minister of Great Britain and you are granted one wish with absolutely no strong opposition.

You can change anything, from the practices of the state to how people think.

What would you do?

For me, I would abolish inheritance tax. It is the final blow for a hard-working individual.

Thank you, TSR.

ReputationRep:
    I thought you all were relatively ambitious?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I would introduce a regulated educational voucher policy enabling all people of ability access to our world class private education system.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iron Lady)
    Say you are now the Prime Minister of Great Britain and you are granted one wish with absolutely no strong opposition.

What would you do?

For me, I would abolish inheritance tax. It is the final blow for a hard-working individual.

Thank you, TSR.
    Anybody with a computer and access to Google can avoid inheritance tax these days!

I'd try to bring the standard of education offered by the state up to a level equivalent to that offered by the top day schools, private and state (I think trying to replicate the top boarding schools is difficult, as most parents aren't willing to be separated from their kids), starting with primary.

ReputationRep:
    Repeal the repressive anti trade union laws.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kibalchich)
    Selfish.

ReputationRep:
    Selfish.
    Yes, what could be more selfish than wanting the majority of people to be able to take collective action regarding their working conditions.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Yes, what could be more selfish than wanting the majority of people to be able to take collective action regarding their working conditions.
    Which working conditions do you want improved?

ReputationRep:
    I'd do what Singapore have done over the past 50 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Which working conditions do you want improved?
    What, for me personally? I think NHS pay scales for nurses are too low and breaks in the local trust are too short. A 45 minute break in a 13 hour shift is not enough.

ReputationRep:
    Selfish.
    I thought there would be no strong opposition?

For me, I would introduce proportional representation.

ReputationRep:
    So...many...ideas...

Seriously, I find it hard to choose. But since I can do something totally impractical and change how people think: I'd like to see an end to prejudice, bigotry, unfair discrimination, and that whole related bundle of -isms and -phobias.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

What would you do?

Thank you, TSR.

I would do what Jeremy Clarkson said and abolish every single piece of legislation New Labour introduced. Then I'd abolish New Labour just for good measure.

ReputationRep:
    It won't make any difference. Thanks to mass immigration, the offshoring of our manufacturing base to China and a culture of temporary contracts the working class has more or less been obliterated as a political entity. We need far more than a 1970's style trade union to give workers a fairer deal, the whole system needs changing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chefdave)
    It won't make any difference. Thanks to mass immigration, the offshoring of our manufacturing base to China and a culture of temporary contracts the working class has more or less been obliterated as a political entity. We need far more than a 1970's style trade union to give workers a fairer deal, the whole system needs changing.
    The working class still exists, the majority of people are working class. What has changed is that Fordism no longer exists, so we don't have masses of workers in the same work place, living in the same areas, drinking in the same pubs. Its much more fragmented and atomised.

ReputationRep:

What would you do?

Thank you, TSR.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2279560

ReputationRep:
    Please can you explain these dangerous working conditions.

ReputationRep:
    What, for me personally? I think NHS pay scales for nurses are too low and breaks in the local trust are too short. A 45 minute break in a 13 hour shift is not enough.
    If you're in the nursing profession, the ideal is to save lives, not receive more money for the public service - as long as the employee receives enough money to survive. The NHS is at a large size, this costs money (taxpayers' money), along with the other services. Nurses do a good job but it's ambitious to increase their wages more than needs be as it will be too expensive, and no I don't want tax increases to fund this.

How long would you want a break for? What do you plan do to in these breaks?

In the past trade unions pursue special treatment and this is far from being fair. As long as there are no discriminatory laws in place and the workers aren't exploited, then give it a rest.

ReputationRep:
    I would try and sort out this, because it is disgusting in my opinion:

Name:  BFGcPTZCEAIf4_p.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  66.5 KB

ReputationRep:
    If you're in the nursing profession, the ideal is to save lives, not receive more money for the public service - as long as the employee receives enough money to survive. The NHS is at a large size, this costs money (taxpayers' money), along with the other services. Nurses do a good job but it's ambitious to increase their wages more than needs be as it will be too expensive, and no I don't want tax increases to fund this.

How long would you want a break for? What do you plan do to in these breaks?

In the past trade unions pursue special treatment and this is far from being fair. As long as there are no discriminatory laws in place and the workers aren't exploited, then give it a rest.
    U b trolling. Good one.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.