The Student Room Group

Birkbeck (UofL); Mature student

I am looking at heading back to uni (Sept 2013) after having a bad time a couple of years ago (I was enrolled in a BSc in Australia but failed so many units- decided to drop out to avoid doing any further damage, in June 2010). I had a hard time following my fathers death, so I was all over the place.

I am not sure how Birkbeck sees such a fail.

I emailed the admission office at Birkbeck, however the lady was not very helpful as she gave me generic answers such as "the tutors will take in to account PS, Rec. and transcripts, when making offer". I even asked her to put me in contact with the tutor, so as I can speak to one directly to see if I stood a chance, which she dodged.

And as a Mature student, the normal grades for entry does not apply to me, so I really want to apply (for their Biomed degree). But really afraid to make the move, fearing rejection :confused:

If anyone has any experience with a similar route or know any information that could help, I'd appreciate your feedback.

Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by addison_cb
I am looking at heading back to uni (Sept 2013) after having a bad time a couple of years ago (I was enrolled in a BSc in Australia but failed so many units- decided to drop out to avoid doing any further damage, in June 2010). I had a hard time following my fathers death, so I was all over the place.

I emailed the admission office at Birkbeck, however the lady was not very helpful as she gave me generic answers such as "the tutors will take in to account PS, Rec. and transcripts, when making offer". I even asked her to put me in contact with the tutor, so as I can speak to one directly to see if I stood a chance, which she dodged.

And as a Mature student, the normal grades for entry does not apply to me, so I really want to apply (for their Biomed degree). But really afraid to make the move, fearing rejection :confused:

If anyone has any experience with a similar route or know any information that could help, I'd appreciate your feedback.

Thank you.

Birkbeck run a number of open evenings where tutors are available to talk to about the course, see http://www.bbk.ac.uk/prospective/prospective-events/open-evenings

My experience in another department is that once you have applied, the admission tutor will consider your application as an individual. Your personal motivation is key, there is some flexibility available in entrance criteria. Because Birkbeck is an evening college it can be hard to get hold of tutors during the day and in the evenings they are teaching. Ultimately if you want a definitive answer, you will have to apply. There is also the option to sign up to one of the open entry short courses and see whether Birkbeck is for you. This will also provide you and Birkbeck a clear indication of current academic ability. Birkbeck does not suit everyone.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2

Thank you.

I would try go to one of their open evenings for further advice.

I recently applied to Birkbeck as a mature student without any qualifications, and just an enthusiastic personal statement. They accepted me for a course in Criminology and Criminal Justice without an interview. So they are very understanding and encouraging when it comes to mature students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
A friend of mine was accepted into Birkbeck as a mature student with no A Levels and a handful of poor GCSE equivalents. He did amazingly well there. Birkbeck is specifically designed for people coming to uni-level education from non-traditional backgrounds.

Attending an open evening will probably put your mind at rest, so that really is good advice. I failed my first attempt at a degree as a school leaver. In my late forties, I'm now starting my PhD having done an undergrad degree and a Masters in quick succession. Some of us just discover the joys of learning later than others :smile:

If you fear rejection to the point where it prevents you acting, then you'll never do anything new! Be brave - apply in a spirit of adventure, just to see what happens. I think you might be pleasantly surprised :smile:
Reply 4
Thank you so much everyone for your feedback and encouragement. I will definitely go ahead and apply.

Will hopefully remember to log back in to advise of my outcome in the next few months.

:smile:
I'm going to be attending Birkbeck as of September 2013 studying Law.

With Birkbeck if you're under 21 you have to have A Levels (BBB I believe). If you're 21+ they base your application on an individual basis, and take in to consideration work experience, life experience and so on.
Original post by Knalchemist
I'm going to be attending Birkbeck as of September 2013 studying Law.

With Birkbeck if you're under 21 you have to have A Levels (BBB I believe). If you're 21+ they base your application on an individual basis, and take in to consideration work experience, life experience and so on.

I'm just finishing the 3 year full time LLB from Birkbeck. This has been one of the best eras of my life! I'll miss the place... work hard, and enjoy what you do..there are some inspiring teachers there - a couple of my favourites were..

Prof Anton Schütz (Legal History and Legal Theory)..think "Mad professor"
Dr Marinos Diamantides (Constitutional Law and Medical Law) think "Sarcastic and Lovable".

Only thing is both of these are very harsh markers (as are many there) :-) so you really need to work hard on the degree. It's no breeze.

I hope you have a lot of fun and don't forget the extra curriculars (mooting, cumberland lodge, the law society, the brand new Law Review etc.) they are very active on extra curriculars..
(edited 11 years ago)

Thank you.

The worst that can happen is that they'll say that you need to start with their access course - such as a Cert HE to gain the experience necessary to study for that degree. So don't worry! Go for it!
Original post by tabshiftspace
I'm just finishing the 3 year full time LLB from Birkbeck. This has been one of the best eras of my life! I'll miss the place... work hard, and enjoy what you do..there are some inspiring teachers there - a couple of my favourites were..

Prof Anton Schütz (Legal History and Legal Theory)..think "Mad professor"
Dr Marinos Diamantides (Constitutional Law and Medical Law) think "Sarcastic and Lovable".

Only thing is both of these are very harsh markers (as are many there) :-) so you really need to work hard on the degree. It's no breeze.

I hope you have a lot of fun and don't forget the extra curriculars (mooting, cumberland lodge, the law society, the brand new Law Review etc.) they are very active on extra curriculars..

Do you have lectures every day Mon - Thurs, or are there some evenings where you'd have 2 lectures?
I have lectures and/or seminars every day except Friday - I have at least two subjects a day. Also, on the other days of the week, I'm busy doing the immense amount of study that you are given, notwithstanding that to get a superior grade, you need to be going the extra distance to add more reading and knowledge to your subjects.
Reply 10
Original post by tabshiftspace
The worst that can happen is that they'll say that you need to start with their access course - such as a Cert HE to gain the experience necessary to study for that degree. So don't worry! Go for it!

Thank you! I am currently working on my kick ass personal statement.
Thank you! I am currently working on my kick ass personal statement.

btw start a dialogue with the admission officer or programme director for your course, so that they know who you are and what you're about..believe it or not, they're only human and will appreciate a potential student that actually cares about what they want to study before they get there... that will help your case.
Reply 12
When I applied to Birkbeck to study BSc Maths the programme director said that any mature student with an A-level in maths is usually given a shot, as the term "Mature" student tends to mean more than just how old the person is!

Best people to ask will be the Uni themselves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending