Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    Currently I am 15 and studying for my GCSEs. I am predicted high marks in all, mostly A*s. I live in a four bedroomed house with my 8 siblings and Mother and Step-dad and share a small room with my 5 and 6 year old sisters and I really want to move out for college as I don't want to be sharing with such young siblings and under all the stress of home life when im studying for a-levels and wanting to have fun with friends aswell! I am planning on moving in with my long term boyfriend in September of 2014 but I don't know how to go about it. I am planning on getting a part time job as soon as I hit 16, I have did a lot of volunteer work already so I can gain all experience I can get before trying to get a job. My boyfriend will be starting university at the time of moving in therefore he receives student benefits and will have a part time job as well. And of course i would have gathered quite a lot of savings by that time in conjunction with my boyfriend. I've looked at student accommodation and flats but im just not sure how to go about things. Any advice? I just want to note that this isn't a spur of the moment decision and a silly young girl thinking its gonna be fun and games. I live with EIGHT children three of them very small and have to share a room with little girls with a TEN year difference from me. Which I think is a very valid excuse seeing as its already caused me a lot of hardship and caused mental health issues and above all stress. My boyfriend and I have been together for more than a year now and if something were to happen between now and next year then my decision may be altered unless I can find a roommate.

ReputationRep:
    I won't judge, but it won't be easy. Many landlords won't lease a property to somebody until they're 18 years of age or at least in full-time employment. If you're serious about saving up for a place of your own, a full-time job is probably a must.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexanderStuart)
    I won't judge, but it won't be easy. Many landlords won't lease a property to somebody until they're 18 years of age or at least in full-time employment. If you're serious about saving up for a place of your own, a full-time job is probably a must.
    I agree. A landlord will require proof that you can pay the rent and references. Your partner will have his student loans and you, your part time income. However, you're unlikely to get more than minimum wage which is less than £4 (not 100% sure since it's a while since I was your age) under 18. In that case you're partner would be almost fully responsible, you'll be council tax exempt (full time education) but would still need to pay for utilities and Internet etc. You'll also need a month to six weeks deposit, a lot of money if you don't have much. I wish you luck though.

ReputationRep:
    only thing i can think of is fostercare or try getting into a boarding school with a scholarship. I dont like your idea of moving in with you bf cos so many guys cheat these days. What if (god forbid) your bf cheats on you and you break up? What would happen to your house/flat? That' cause more stress than pribably living with parents, no? The best solution in my opinion would be to try stick it out at hole till uni and study in libraries or at school. i had issues studing at home during alevels so i went out to the library or sat in an empty room in school

Good luck whateve you decide!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    only thing i can think of is fostercare or try getting into a boarding school with a scholarship. I dont like your idea of mocing in with you bf cos so many guys cheat these days. What if (god forbid) your bf cheats on you and you break up? What would happen to your house/flat? That' cause more stress than pribably living with parents, no? The best solution in my opinion would be to try stick it out at hole till uni and study in libraries or at school. i had issues studing at home during alevels so i went out to the library or sat in an empty room in school

Good luck whateve you decide!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Or if she cheats. Or if they just break up. Come on man, don't discriminate against yourself.

OP, it's not going to be easy to move out and live on your own at 16. I would seriously suggest applying for a boarding school. I have four siblings, and while most of them are much older than me (and so when I was doing GCSEs and A-levels they had already left the family home), I know some of them moved in with our aunt down south when they had GCSEs because it was so crowded at home, so if you can't get into a boarding school maybe you could see if any other relaties would take you in?

I completely agree that you should move out, but I don't think it's a good idea to move in with your boyfriend.
    • Welcome Squad

I agree with what most people have said. It could be risky moving in with your boyfriend.
    Have you considered asking to live with other relatives? Or applying for some kind of scholarship to go to a boarding school/ a boarding school in general?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouspie227)
    I agree with what most people have said. It could be risky moving in with your boyfriend.
    Have you considered asking to live with other relatives? Or applying for some kind of scholarship to go to a boarding school/ a boarding school in general?
    I agree.
    Are there any other relatives you could move in with.

ReputationRep:
    I have an 11-year gap with my brother. Yes it is stressful but it isn't that bad. Also, they are growing fast and will get much more mature over the next 2-years. I would definitely stick it out. You can move out for uni.

You would need to do a lot of hours in a part time job before you are able to cover your living costs let alone contribute to rent. Try to find a calculator online and add up rent, utility bills, food and see how many hours that would take on £5 an hour. You would basically be reliant on your boyfriend's student loan to live. This is not a good position to be in and probably more stressful than what you have at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    when i was doing my gcse's my little brother used to come to my room and ask me to play with him and build lego :cry: I always said no and now he's older and doing his GCSE's I miss that chance I had bonding with him . So sad. I wish i could go back 10 years and play with my brother again. :cry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    when i was doing my gcse's my little brother used to come to my room and ask me to play with him and build lego :cry: I always said no and now he's older and doing his GCSE's I miss that chance I had bonding with him . So sad. I wish i could go back 10 years and play with my brother again. :cry:
    Ask to play Lego with him, better late than never .
    • Welcome Squad

(Original post by Tbx)
    Ask to play Lego with him, better late than never .
    That made me smile.

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at some of the information here.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...inding_a_place

ReputationRep:
    I moved out aged 15. I was lucky enough to have a boyfriend who could provide for us both and keep my part time income-but he was a total asshat and I ended up feeling trapped by him.
    Having said that, if you and your boyfriend get along well , and you can find a way of living with him-then it may be your safest option. Is he going to be in halls or a student accommodation house?If so-you may not be able to live with him as a non-university student though.

ReputationRep:
    thankyou for all the responses and I agree with mostly all of you that yes it would be risky moving in with him however ive known him for a long time and have been with him for over a year. Like I said if we were to come to blows or I thought the relationship was ending I wouldn't move in with him and put up with home life until I think of a solution. He would be living rent free as his parents are buying the flat, hed obviously still have to pay for electricity etc. but he's lucky to have wealthy parents. They have agreed to my moving in if it were ever to happen so I wouldn't be sneaking! I might stay at home after all but its 50 50 at the moment I think.

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources
How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.