The Student Room Group

cloning animals

Cloning using nuclear transfer: The cell was taken from the mammary gland of a 6 year old ewe, its nucleus transplanted into a cell from a second sheep and then inserted into the uterus of a third sheep, and then a fourth to develop.

Why is it even placed in the 3rd sheep? Why can't it just be placed straight into the surrogate?
Reply 1
Original post by tammie123
Cloning using nuclear transfer: The cell was taken from the mammary gland of a 6 year old ewe, its nucleus transplanted into a cell from a second sheep and then inserted into the uterus of a third sheep, and then a fourth to develop.

Why is it even placed in the 3rd sheep? Why can't it just be placed straight into the surrogate?

It can just be placed straight into the surrogate.
Original post by joostan
It can just be placed straight into the surrogate.

In my book it says that it was placed into a 3rd sheep before the surrogate though :confused:
Reply 3
Original post by tammie123
In my book it says that it was placed into a 3rd sheep before the surrogate though :confused:

It seems rather random, unless the 3rd sheep had some special factor that allowed the embryo to implant more easily, I can't see why you'd bother.
http://www.abpischools.org.uk/res/coresourceimport/resources/poster-series/images/clon01.png

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending