The Student Room Group

French Do these sentences make sense?

Does this make sense if not what should I correct

Aussi à mon avis le monde a besoin d'un coup de main pour rester viable. Mon ami et moi voulons devenir *médecin*, malgré le fait que nous sachions que le tâche
When I wrote that there was a bit at the end :tongue:

That end says:

Despite the fact that we know that the task....
Original post by __Student__
Does this make sense if not what should I correct

Aussi à mon avis le monde a besoin d'un coup de main pour rester viable. Mon ami et moi voulons devenir *médecin*, malgré le fait que nous sachions que le tâche

I don't think the 'le fait' is necessarily, malgré que already encapsulates the notion of another fully-fledged idea (in English we need 'the fact that' because despite on its own works only with nouns, to introduce secondary ideas, we need to add this little filler in - this can just be replaced by 'que' in Fremch).
Reply 3
Original post by constantmeowage
I don't think the 'le fait' is necessarily, malgré que already encapsulates the notion of another fully-fledged idea (in English we need 'the fact that' because despite on its own works only with nouns, to introduce secondary ideas, we need to add this little filler in - this can just be replaced by 'que' in Fremch).

While I do agree the formulation is a bit heavy sounding, malgré que isn't correct French and as such not accepted by l'Académie Française.
Original post by xmarilynx
While I do agree the formulation is a bit heavy sounding, malgré que isn't correct French and as such not accepted by l'Académie Française.

Really?! I've always seen malgré que in the dictionary. So, you really do need the le fait to make sense? :confused:
Reply 5
Do you need medecins instead of medecin?
Reply 6
Being French, I would rather say : "même si nous savons que la tâche..."
However, your first sentence seems uncorrect to me, not "natural" at all :smile:
Reply 7
Really?! I've always seen malgré que in the dictionary. So, you really do need the le fait to make sense? :confused:

Malgré que is said sometimes, and certainly does make sense, but its use is quite controversal and not accepted by grammar nazis. I mean, I've seen LOL in the dictionary too, it doesn't mean I'd write it in an English essay.

rebe972's suggestion is probably the most natural of way of saying it. If you absolutely want to get a subjunctive in there then bien que ou quoique would work too.

Académie Française
Malgré que s’emploie bien dans la langue soutenue, mais seulement avec le verbe avoir conjugué au subjonctif. Malgré que j’en aie, quelque mauvais gré, si mauvais gré que j’en aie ; en dépit de moi, de ma volonté : Je reconnais les mérites de mon rival, malgré que j’en aie ; Malgré qu’il en ait, nous savons son secret ; Elle ne put cacher son dépit, malgré qu’elle en eût.

En revanche, encore que de nombreux écrivains aient utilisé la locution conjonctive Malgré que dans le sens de Bien que, quoique, il est recommandé d’éviter cet emploi.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by xmarilynx
Malgré que is said sometimes, and certainly does make sense, but its use is quite controversal and not accepted by grammar nazis. I mean, I've seen LOL in the dictionary too, it doesn't mean I'd write it in an English essay.

rebe972's suggestion is probably the most natural of way of saying it. If you absolutely want to get a subjunctive in there then bien que ou quoique would work too.

Merci, Marilyn, j'ai écrit trop la mauvaise phrase dans mes rédactions ! Alors, je me souviendrai ça pour la fois prochaine :smile: merci
Reply 9
Merci, Marilyn, j'ai écrit trop la mauvaise phrase dans mes rédactions ! Alors, je me souviendrai ça pour la fois prochaine :smile: merci

Y'a pas de quoi, plein de Français font cette faute aussi donc ne t'en fais pas :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending