Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redolent)
    He strongly opposed legislation introduced in 2010 by the Argentine Government to allow same-sex marriage, calling it a "real and dire anthropological throwback".[10] In a letter to the monasteries of Buenos Aires, he wrote: "Let's not be naive, we're not talking about a simple political battle; it is a destructive pretension against the plan of God. We are not talking about a mere bill, but rather a machination of the Father of Lies that seeks to confuse and deceive the children of God."[11] He has also insisted that adoption by gay and lesbian people is a form of discrimination against children.

this guy
    Sounds like a horrid man with quite sinister delusions.

He's a perfect fit for the Catholic Church. Good job, cardinals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuckyBerry)
    BBC news had nothing to say about him... literally all they could find was that he rode the bus....
    Issue here my friend, your picture.

TSR just not big enough for two grumpycats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipoop)
    I think I won't bother reading his wiki page, this makes me sick... :sad:
    what else would you expect?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GrumpyCat)
    Issue here my friend, your picture.

TSR just not big enough for two grumpycats
    The world can never have enough grumpy cats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3 Phase Duck)
    Lol your sig is brilliant!!
    Thanks mate! Unfortunately, as of a couple hours ago, it't outdated. :angelblush:

We actually have a new pope now!

(Original post by alwayshustling)
    i hope he doesnt gain support for the falklands going to argentina
    Small minded to the extreme.

ReputationRep:
    Another homophobic irrelevant madman, hooray.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon9)
    Another homophobic irrelevant madman, hooray.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone was routing they would pick someone younger for the role. He's 76, another 'old' pope, my only thought is, I wonder how long he will be in power or how long until he also gets ill and has to step down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilypsychology)
    Everyone was routing they would pick someone younger for the role. He's 76, another 'old' pope, my only thought is, I wonder how long he will be in power or how long until he also gets ill and has to step down.
    Most of the Cardinals are 70-80 years old - I believe only about 3 are under 60?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...ls-select-pope

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilypsychology)
    The record for the shortest papal reign is 13 days, I believe.

It's odd that they insist on electing popes when, in physical terms, they're in their twilight years where they're likely to be more susceptible to ill health, reduced mobility and have less vitality than a younger candidate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by almost_instinct)
    The record for the shortest papal reign is 13 days, I believe.

It's odd that they insist on electing popes when, in physical terms, they're in their twilight years where they're likely to be more susceptible to ill health, reduced mobility and have less vitality than a younger candidate.
    There's lots of "missing history" from the official sites - in the days of the Holy Roman Emperors, anti-Popes and Avignon, there were about three Popes and Anti-Popes a week during some particularly turbulent periods. Well, maybe not quite that many, but they went through a lot and not all of them are acknowledged by the modern Vatican.

ReputationRep:
    "This isn't the first time an argentinian has won through the hand of god"

Prince Charles.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if Nostradamus' prophecy was right?

ReputationRep:
    As far as popes go, it could have been far worse. He's condom/single parent/poor friendly, but believes adoption by a gay couple is discrimination. That's a step forward from ''condoms are the cause of aids''. Seems like their getting better, at this rate the next one will be pro-equality.

ReputationRep:
    The Catholic ethics and the Spirit of Ignorance. :rolleyes:

Being from Poland, I genuinely think there was a greater progressive mood in the Slavonic/Gothic mythologies than after papacy took over. We could at least have remained pagan. Did you know that in 1700 Stockholm was still around 5% Norse pagan.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if Nostradamus' prophecy was right?
    Here's hoping.

There's lots of "missing history" from the official sites - in the days of the Holy Roman Emperors, anti-Popes and Avignon, there were about three Popes and Anti-Popes a week during some particularly turbulent periods. Well, maybe not quite that many, but they went through a lot and not all of them are acknowledged by the modern Vatican.
    This is rather amusing.

Like all things coveted by men whose only desires are power and personal glory, even something as supposedly righteous as the papacy has been the cause of so much chaos and disorder.

ReputationRep:
    He supports homosexuals .. I'm not against but I guess we might soon see gay marriages

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The way to shoehorn this one in is to say any pope is "Peter the Roman" simply by virtue of being Pope so we can still have fun expecting the end of the world any time now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EvilOfficer)
    The Catholic ethics and the Spirit of Ignorance. :rolleyes:

Being from Poland, I genuinely think there was a greater progressive mood in the Slavonic/Gothic mythologies than after papacy took over. We could at least have remained pagan. Did you know that in 1700 Stockholm was still around 5% Norse pagan.
    I'm an avowed atheist but I secretly love the idea of having Norse gods. Give me Thor, Odin, Loki et al. any day of the week.

Preferably Thursday, which is Thor's day.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.