Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Oh, don't worry, it's not subtle - I was just thinking, who is even more famous than the Pope? Answer - Kim Kardashian! Would she be comfortable with a Popemobile? She doesn't need one - her fans commune with her via the tabloids and she likes being close up with the papps. However, her cats may need special protection when on display, she is very fond of them and probably would like them to not be in actual physical contact with her mobs of fans.

I suppose a Biebermobile is also a possibility though.
    If you think Kim Kardashian is more famous than the Pope than the world as we know it is doomed. Doomed I tell ya. We're all doooooomed.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, that's a good point - he might well act as a lobbyist for Kirchner, the Vatican wields a lot of diplomatic power.
    I was thinking about this earlier as well, but I eventually came to the conclusion that since the USA and EU respect peoples' right to self-determination that even though the pope does have some diplomatic influence, it wouldn't be able to ignore the fact that only 3 people voted against remaining British. If Argentina do take over, then internationally it would be them looking like imperialists.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean that as a serious point? If anything, given his statements about it on record, they will be encouraged.

Mind you, Cardinals being what they are, he may have just been doing his best to 'blend in' in Buenos Aires, saying things to please the crowd.
    Most Argentines (and others) think that those Islands belong to them, but his election as Pope has squashed any idea of the Argentine government wanting to retake them. As Pontiff, he can not come out and back an invasion of the Falklands, and he would be under reassure to condemn it. Would the Arentine government put him under that position?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    If you think Kim Kardashian is more famous than the Pope than the world as we know it is doomed. Doomed I tell ya. We're all doooooomed.
    You're in a gloomy mood this evening. KK is only trying to brighten up the world, in her own inimitable fashion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eterna)
    I hope the new pope is black.
    Read something on here about the world ending if that happened.
    no.... You clearly did not understand the context. The "Black Pope" refers to a corrupt pope as opposed to the ethnicity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Kim K is more famous than Pope Francis I because hardly any knows about Pope Francis I given that he's only been in the mielight for hours.....

ReputationRep:
    You're in a gloomy mood this evening. KK is only trying to brighten up the world, in her own inimitable fashion.
    I'm not gloomy I just don't rate the popularity of her that much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by almost_instinct)
    I'm an avowed atheist but I secretly love the idea of having Norse gods. Give me Thor, Odin, Loki et al. any day of the week.

Preferably Thursday, which is Thor's day.
    Thor's day! We should blood eagle the new pope :medieval:

ReputationRep:
    This new Pope is such a gaylord. ******.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrBlueMo0n)
    This new Pope is such a gaylord. ******.
    How dare you! He may have some passive homosexual feelings towards young males as most priests do, but he is still the pope! I personally think this pope is ****ing great and is gonna do a better job than the last ******.

ReputationRep:
    It feels like these days all they're doing is rearranging the deckchairs on the titanic, although organised religion is a much more gradually sinking ship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pete_Lawton)
    It feels like these days all they're doing is rearranging the deckchairs on the titanic, although organised religion is a much more gradually sinking ship.
    Like the government? They just put new leaders up to have a go at sorting out the mess of the previous leader. As you can tell, the previous Pope did make quite a mess...

ReputationRep:
    He's a conservative theologically that's hardly a shock but is disappointing from a liberal stand point.

At least he seems to genuinely care about social justice. The Pope as an advocate for the poor and under privileged, especially in the 3rd World is a good thing in my opinion. Despite what some posters want to believe the Catholic church still has massive influence around the world and cannot be disregarded whether you agree with them or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrBlueMo0n)
    Like the government? They just put new leaders up to have a go at sorting out the mess of the previous leader. As you can tell, the previous Pope did make quite a mess...
    on a little boys face!

high five?... anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Guy)
    on a little boys face!

high five?... anyone?
    Hell yea sista!!!

ReputationRep:
    Apparently, he is on record suggesting that chocolate M&Ms be replaced at the Eucharist in favour of the wafers.

ReputationRep:
    I'm an avowed atheist but I secretly love the idea of having Norse gods. Give me Thor, Odin, Loki et al. any day of the week.

Preferably Thursday, which is Thor's day.
    Plus when you die you get to go to Valhalla and drink beer for the rest of eternity. What other religion offers you that?

ReputationRep:
    Looks like it's a case of "meet the new boss, same as the old boss."

Spoiler:
    Show
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Trained by the Jesuits eh? Are you a highly skilled debater? Was there an Inquisition at the school? (joke) Do you know where to find the albino assassin? (also joke) How many angels are there on a pinhead then?

Sorry, I've run out of Jesuitical jokes now.
    Ha all I know is AMDG.(Ad majorus natus sum) aka "Ah must dae good". :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    The record for the shortest papal reign is 13 days, I believe.

It's odd that they insist on electing popes when, in physical terms, they're in their twilight years where they're likely to be more susceptible to ill health, reduced mobility and have less vitality than a younger candidate.
    Many Cardinals want to be the Pope, and by electing older members, it means that some of them will actually get the chance.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.