Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

I feel like I'm wasting my time. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosaknows)
    Yes, but you'll have to work very hard.
    Okay thank you, I think what I'll do is just continue with what I have, work the hardest I can and hope that I'll be able to get into an Economics/Accounting course without having Maths. Very unlikely, but hey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pessimist)
    Okay thank you, I think what I'll do is just continue with what I have, work the hardest I can and hope that I'll be able to get into an Economics/Accounting course without having Maths. Very unlikely, but hey.
    Any time! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    There are a good few decent Economics courses which A2 Maths aren't strictly necessary. Also you could always do Business Economics or something like that which are less maths orientated. You've got good A level choices dont worry about it, although Spanish is good (im self learning it , not in A level form though) if I was you i'd drop it after AS (you said you dont like it) and do an AS in Maths in 2nd year. Do as well as you can in your 2 years at college and you'll have few or no probs getting into Economics. Good luck.

btw i'm starting Economics in 2013 at uni in case you wondered (fingers crossed anyway.. long story)

ReputationRep:
    In my experience, I think grades matter more, most decent universities just want AAA in generic subjects, unless your going for something competitive and/or speciallised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3DDY)
    There are a good few decent Economics courses which A2 Maths aren't strictly necessary. Also you could always do Business Economics or something like that which are less maths orientated. You've got good A level choices dont worry about it, although Spanish is good (im self learning it , not in A level form though) if I was you i'd drop it after AS (you said you dont like it) and do an AS in Maths in 2nd year. Do as well as you can in your 2 years at college and you'll have few or no probs getting into Economics. Good luck.

btw i'm starting Economics in 2013 at uni in case you wondered (fingers crossed anyway.. long story)
    Thank you so much, I really needed that. Literally didn't know what I was going to do with my life haha. One problem though, I got a C at GCSE Maths because I didn't try at all, which means I can't take AS Maths, unless I do Use Of Maths, which is pretty pointless, no?

And congratulations what Uni are you studying it at?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maple)
    In my experience, I think grades matter more, most decent universities just want AAA in generic subjects, unless your going for something competitive and/or speciallised.
    Yeah, I mean all of the top 10 economics Uni's require you to have A*AA with Maths A* or A. Whereas, once you get out of that top10 list, it's only a case of having an A at Maths GCSE level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maths is a big part of economics though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseafan)
    Maths is a big part of economics though.
    I know

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Economics or Accounting and Finance
    You are very funny.

Of course ICT and Economics aren't related to Economics or Accounting and Finance.

It would also be very smart dropping out when you are looking to achieve AAA.

I honestly believe you don't feel like dropping out but say you are because you want attention and comfort, which is fine to a degree.

You can apply to almost any university in the world let alone the UK with AAA, and be accepted on the grounds that your personal statement is good enough.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've applied to Uni's for economics without A level maths and I've had 4/5 offers of AAB/ABB! (the last one was an offer to transfer to another course but I'm like heck no!). As long as you have GCSE maths at grade A or B then you should be okay! I'm going to be firming a top 10 university so it proves that although A level maths is beneficial for applying for economics, it's not always compulsory By all means try to do A level maths in one year though as it will help

ReputationRep:
    Hey, those A-levels are well-respected Languages, in particular, are in great demand at the moment.

To be honest, it all depends on what subject you want to study, as well. Obviously, a science and maths student will be favoured for medicine / science subjects, but presumably that's not what you want to study at university, is it?

For most subjects, there are minimal subject-specific requirements. You just need to be predicted high grades, and write a good personal statement. So don't stress - you'll do just fine.

ReputationRep:
    Your A Levels are fine, the only disadvantage you've put yourself at is the lack of Maths. You don't have to start sixth form again, anybody who tells you otherwise is an idiot. Just be prepared to do a lot of Maths when you get to uni, I'm in the same position and I've come to that realisation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JediArron)
    You are very funny.

Of course ICT and Economics aren't related to Economics or Accounting and Finance.

It would also be very smart dropping out when you are looking to achieve AAA.

I honestly believe you don't feel like dropping out but say you are because you want attention and comfort, which is fine to a degree.

You can apply to almost any university in the world let alone the UK with AAA, and be accepted on the grounds that your personal statement is good enough.
    Is ICT related? I know it is for the career I want to go into but not directly to the courses? And when I said about dropping out, I was overreacting and was just confused and annoyed at myself for my choices. And that's not true if there's specific requirements. E.g A in Maths when you don't take Maths, surely?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Way to put on a downer on A-Level Economics!

Thanks a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MalteseMalteser)
    Hey, I've applied to Uni's for economics without A level maths and I've had 4/5 offers of AAB/ABB! (the last one was an offer to transfer to another course but I'm like heck no!). As long as you have GCSE maths at grade A or B then you should be okay! I'm going to be firming a top 10 university so it proves that although A level maths is beneficial for applying for economics, it's not always compulsory By all means try to do A level maths in one year though as it will help
    Thank you so much, honestly, it sounds stupid but you've just made my day and what University? Every Top 10 Uni I looked at required Maths at A-Level

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacemenrule94)
    Hey, those A-levels are well-respected Languages, in particular, are in great demand at the moment.

To be honest, it all depends on what subject you want to study, as well. Obviously, a science and maths student will be favoured for medicine / science subjects, but presumably that's not what you want to study at university, is it?

For most subjects, there are minimal subject-specific requirements. You just need to be predicted high grades, and write a good personal statement. So don't stress - you'll do just fine.
    Economics, so for most Top 10 Universities Maths at A-Level is required. Thank you so much

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by senz72)
    Way to put on a downer on A-Level Economics!

Thanks a lot.
    What do you mean? I freaking love A-Level Economics! By far the best A-Level I do. I was referring to my other A-Levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr DaMan)
    Your A Levels are fine, the only disadvantage you've put yourself at is the lack of Maths. You don't have to start sixth form again, anybody who tells you otherwise is an idiot. Just be prepared to do a lot of Maths when you get to uni, I'm in the same position and I've come to that realisation.
    Yeah, I'm prepared for that, I just need to find a decent University that doesn't require me to have done A-Level Maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much, honestly, it sounds stupid but you've just made my day and what University? Every Top 10 Uni I looked at required Maths at A-Level

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey don't worry about it, as I was also worried about my offers due to not having A level maths! I'm firming Lancaster (not top 10 for economics but when I read your posts I thought you meant top 10 universities overall), but I also had offers from Aston, Loughborough and Kent. I also applied to York, but they told me to instead apply for Accounting, Business Finance and Management (heck no!).

So yeah, it's not the end of the world and you can still get accepted for Economics courses without A level maths, but you're opening more doors by doing A level maths, although diverting your attention to do A level maths could mean that you get grades below AAA

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm prepared for that, I just need to find a decent University that doesn't require me to have done A-Level Maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've got offers from Lancaster, Leicester, Sheffield, UEA and Exeter, likely to firm Exeter and I don't do maths. Lots of Uni's don't, although lots do. It'll narrow your options down but not by much.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.