Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

I feel like I'm wasting my time. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MalteseMalteser)
    Hey don't worry about it, as I was also worried about my offers due to not having A level maths! I'm firming Lancaster (not top 10 for economics but when I read your posts I thought you meant top 10 universities overall), but I also had offers from Aston, Loughborough and Kent. I also applied to York, but they told me to instead apply for Accounting, Business Finance and Management (heck no!).

So yeah, it's not the end of the world and you can still get accepted for Economics courses without A level maths, but you're opening more doors by doing A level maths, although diverting your attention to do A level maths could mean that you get grades below AAA

Hope this helps
    Good luck with Lancaster mate! And, yeah I've still got until summer to decide what year 13 brings in terms of Maths because the only maths I would be able to do would be Use Of Maths (which is irrelevant?) because of my current C at Maths GCSE (didn't try at all), but, I'm retaking that in November to get an A hopefully. Thanks for all your help mate, it's gone a long way

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr DaMan)
    I've got offers from Lancaster, Leicester, Sheffield, UEA and Exeter, likely to firm Exeter and I don't do maths. Lots of Uni's don't, although lots do. It'll narrow your options down but not by much.
    They're some good offers! And, I'm sure when I checked the Entry Requirements for Exeter it said that A-Level Maths was required?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pessimist)
    Good luck with Lancaster mate! And, yeah I've still got until summer to decide what year 13 brings in terms of Maths because the only maths I would be able to do would be Use Of Maths (which is irrelevant?) because of my current C at Maths GCSE (didn't try at all), but, I'm retaking that in November to get an A hopefully. Thanks for all your help mate, it's gone a long way

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Anytime pal! with regards to your username, try and be optimistic a bit! Lastly, make sure your Personal Statement is the best is can be and that your tutors write absolutely brilliant references for you

ReputationRep:
    Year 12... that means AS? In that case, don't worry/stress - AS rarely gets anyone anywhere.

As long as you do well in your A-Levels overall and get on a decent course at a decent uni, surely that is all that really matters, assuming that is the route you want to go down? The majority of undergrad degrees do not require you to have done the subject at A-Level (as long as you make the other minimum requirements obviously), though there are some exceptions.

Personally, I'm doing a Sociology degree after doing it at GCSE and A-Level, but I am definitely the minority. I am outnumbered 5/1 with regards to people who did not do it at A-Level, I'd estimate.

I really wouldn't think twice about it unless you want to do a subject at degree level that DOES require an A-Level in it that you won't be getting. But if that's not the case, then what is the issue?

ReputationRep:
    Anytime pal! with regards to your username, try and be optimistic a bit! Lastly, make sure your Personal Statement is the best is can be and that your tutors write absolutely brilliant references for you
    Haha, I'll try! And, I need to make a start on my PS, haven't gone anywhere near it yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not to promote a single uni or anything, but I have a friend doing Business Management at King's, and he specifically applied there because maths wasn't required.

I know it isn't exactly Econs or Accounting, but thought this may be of help nonetheless

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I'll try! And, I need to make a start on my PS, haven't gone anywhere near it yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I started on my PS in August, and kept sending it to my tutor every couple of weeks, then every week, then every day, after adjustments and changes. I sent my PS off on 7th November. I would concentrate on your exams now, and after your exams start to think about your PS - think of why you want to study economics, what areas of economics interest you and why, any extra reading? any extracurricular activities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deja Vu)
    Year 12... that means AS? In that case, don't worry/stress - AS rarely gets anyone anywhere.

As long as you do well in your A-Levels overall and get on a decent course at a decent uni, surely that is all that really matters, assuming that is the route you want to go down? The majority of undergrad degrees do not require you to have done the subject at A-Level (as long as you make the other minimum requirements obviously), though there are some exceptions.

Personally, I'm doing a Sociology degree after doing it at GCSE and A-Level, but I am definitely the minority. I am outnumbered 5/1 with regards to people who did not do it at A-Level, I'd estimate.

I really wouldn't think twice about it unless you want to do a subject at degree level that DOES require an A-Level in it that you won't be getting. But if that's not the case, then what is the issue?
    Sadly, that's the issue. I want to do an Economics degree which most Universities want you to have an A-Level in Maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I started on my PS in August, and kept sending it to my tutor every couple of weeks, then every week, then every day, after adjustments and changes. I sent my PS off on 7th November. I would concentrate on your exams now, and after your exams start to think about your PS - think of why you want to study economics, what areas of economics interest you and why, any extra reading? any extracurricular activities?
    Okay pal have you read any Economic-related things? I can imagine that would look pretty good on a PS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hslakaal)
    Not to promote a single uni or anything, but I have a friend doing Business Management at King's, and he specifically applied there because maths wasn't required.

I know it isn't exactly Econs or Accounting, but thought this may be of help nonetheless
    I'll have a look, Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They're some good offers! And, I'm sure when I checked the Entry Requirements for Exeter it said that A-Level Maths was required?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nah Exeter don't ask for Maths. Off the top of my head, bar the top uni's' LES oxbridge Warwick etc the only uni's who specifically ask for maths are liverpool, manc and sheff for the BSC course and I think York and Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    Okay pal have you read any Economic-related things? I can imagine that would look pretty good on a PS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I read the Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith as it's supposedly the original economics text.

I did more economics 'activity' and 'learning' than reading though, such as:
    I study Economics, Politics, and Ancient History.
    Paragraph 1) I talked about what parts of economcs that I love and why.
    Paragraph 2) I talk about what different political ideologies say about the economy and why.
    Paragraph 3) I talk about how and why the Ancient Romans and Ancient Greeks controlled their Empires using various methods.
    Paragraph 4) I talk about what extra-economicsy things that I've done, such as invest in stocks on the FTSE 100 and the resulting outcome of this.

So even if you don't do a lot of extra reading (I'd look at the reading lists of top 10 universities to get some ideas of books), just linking everything in your PS to economics can make it seem like a very economics-related PS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr DaMan)
    Nah Exeter don't ask for Maths. Off the top of my head, bar the top uni's' LES oxbridge Warwick etc the only uni's who specifically ask for maths are liverpool, manc and sheff for the BSC course and I think York and Bristol.
    Doesn't the programme requirements mean that you have to have it? Or is that optional?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    I read the Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith as it's supposedly the original economics text.

I did more economics 'activity' and 'learning' than reading though, such as:
    I study Economics, Politics, and Ancient History.
    Paragraph 1) I talked about what parts of economcs that I love and why.
    Paragraph 2) I talk about what different political ideologies say about the economy and why.
    Paragraph 3) I talk about how and why the Ancient Romans and Ancient Greeks controlled their Empires using various methods.
    Paragraph 4) I talk about what extra-economicsy things that I've done, such as invest in stocks on the FTSE 100 and the resulting outcome of this.

So even if you don't do a lot of extra reading (I'd look at the reading lists of top 10 universities to get some ideas of books), just linking everything in your PS to economics can make it seem like a very economics-related PS
    I can't thank you enough! You invested in some stocks? How did that go?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I can't thank you enough! You invested in some stocks? How did that go?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I did, just after the crash of '08. Invested in some Lloyds shares (as the gov't had recently bought into them) and made some money after selling them about 6 months later! then about 18 months ago I bought them again but they plummeted and I lost pretty much all of my profit from the time before :/

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I did, just after the crash of '08. Invested in some Lloyds shares (as the gov't had recently bought into them) and made some money after selling them about 6 months later! then about 18 months ago I bought them again but they plummeted and I lost pretty much all of my profit from the time before :/
    How old are you? And how much did you make the first time round if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How old are you? And how much did you make the first time round if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm currently 18, so when I traded I got my dad to do the dealings as I wasn't old enough - and I made about £400 ontop of my ~£600 investment! I don't put too much money on the stock market, and the stock price for Lloyds is pretty darn low (always lower than 100p per share since I've been looking at the stock market, meaning that the gains are higher on each share but not so much money is made).

ReputationRep:
    That's the problem though, I can't do Maths because I need a B at GCSE to take it and the nearest time I can retake GCSE Maths is in November which is after Year 13 starts - meaning I can't do Maths
    There is a Maths GCSE sitting in May/June. If you're serious, you can get a B in that amount of time!

ReputationRep:
    That would mean retaking Maths GCSE as I only got a C and you need a B to take A-Level Maths when the next available exam for that is in November - after the start of the acedemic year (September) and I don't understand how that works. Would that mean I would be doing another year after next year to complete A2 Maths?
    Do it as an independent candidate after you finish school and/or convince the school people you're capable of it despite your grade.

There's no rush to get to university, once you're there you're living on borrowed time because after uni you have to get a job straight away. Take as many gap years as you can get away with after you finish your current A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently 18, so when I traded I got my dad to do the dealings as I wasn't old enough - and I made about £400 ontop of my ~£600 investment! I don't put too much money on the stock market, and the stock price for Lloyds is pretty darn low (always lower than 100p per share since I've been looking at the stock market, meaning that the gains are higher on each share but not so much money is made).
    Oh, fair enough pal! So you still actively trade on it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.