Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Is rep on TSR important to you? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by study beats)
    what do u mean by "but still end up with neg rep as those who gave the negative rep have higher rep power than those who gave the positive rep" ?
    Everyone as rep power, which is determined by how much rep they have.

For example, I (think) I have seven green gems, so have a rep power of seven. If I neg you, it will deduct seven points of rep. If I pos you, it will add seven points.

So you can receive 50 positive reps, but if most of these are from people with little to no rep power, it will be outweighed by negative rep from more high powered users.

For example, when I joined the site I soon got into the red. I think I had four red gems (the amounts needed for each gem was different then). However, when I subbed I looked back at my rep and saw that I received about an equal number of positive reps as I did negative reps. However, the negative reps were often from subscribers/more experienced members who had more power. This meant their rep was worth more than most who gave me positive rep and I ended up with red (negative) reputation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Everyone as rep power, which is determined by how much rep they have.

For example, I (think) I have seven green gems, so have a rep power of seven. If I neg you, it will deduct seven points of rep. If I pos you, it will add seven points.

So you can receive 50 positive reps, but if most of these are from people with little to no rep power, it will be outweighed by negative rep from more high powered users.

For example, when I joined the site I soon got into the red. I think I had four red gems (the amounts needed for each gem was different then). However, when I subbed I looked back at my rep and saw that I received about an equal number of positive reps as I did negative reps. However, the negative reps were often from subscribers/more experienced members who had more power. This meant their rep was worth more than most who gave me positive rep and I ended up with red (negative) reputation.
    oh ok thanks for that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wattsy)
    I still don't like the fact that TSR doesn't respect my pos/neg reps. Why is your opinion worth 9 and mine worth 0, it seems a little illogical. It's just that I want TSR to value me as a member and it doesn't.
    I've never really thought about that to be honest! I suppose that the whole rep system is an incentive to be a positive member, but it's quite easy to put up something that you'd expect to be respected just for the neg brigade to get involved!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eliza.anne)
    Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn. About rep that is.
    Rep for one of the best movie quotes of all time. Sadly a couple of people seem to have no idea.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    The delicious irony of people making witty first page posts saying how much they hate rep. :lol:

Most rep I've ever gotten has come accidentally to me, rarely from helpful posts.

This is exactly the issue I find. I know the site wants to make money, but allowing subs to see who has /hasn't negged them creates a really one sided culture on the site. I understand that long standing members should have more say, but I dislike that education and study help forums are pretty much meaningless in the face of the troll threads in the relationship forums.

ReputationRep:
    Its a fun little rating system i guess, but nothing to be bothered about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichyFrench)
    Rep for one of the best movie quotes of all time. Sadly a couple of people seem to have no idea.
    I know right!! I don't care about getting negged but at least appreciate the quote, damn!

ReputationRep:
    I can see how in the early days, even if there is a roughly equal split between one view and another - because the positive rep creates a feedback loop one set of view could have as little as 1% more support, making that set slightly more powerful as reppers thus giving their supporters more rep.

5 years later and some people have massive negative rep and others have massive positive rep - and it doesn't accurately reflect the feelings of the members.

ReputationRep:
    yes i talk about military, politics, countries...but not in a way that will offend anyone?
    Most people on TSR are left-wing, so as there are more of them, they will gang up on and attack right wingers.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that's certainly true in my case
    That made me lol

Reminds me of a facebook status that went viral a while back, some guy wrote 'my penis is so big if you were to lay it out on a keyboard it would stretch from A to Z :doh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    I've never really thought about that to be honest! I suppose that the whole rep system is an incentive to be a positive member, but it's quite easy to put up something that you'd expect to be respected just for the neg brigade to get involved!
    And there lies the problem. It means people bothered by the reputation system fail to express their opinions fully in fear of negative rep. That doesn't make for good discussion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maskofsanity)
    No - I think it should be scrapped. The thumbs up/down should remain but just as an indicator of which posts are popular or disliked; there's no need for them to count towards an overall score. I think a rep system just encourages rep-whore posts and a culture of everyone trying their hardest to be witty or controversial. Not to mention the inevitable hostility between members who neg one another, particularly subscribers who strangely seem to believe they are 'above' negs.
    The amount of messages I've had saying "wtf u neg me 4 bro" style stuff just makes me laugh.

ReputationRep:
    I think rep should be scrapped.

It's always annoying to see that helpful and informative posts are often overlooked and instead users who try so hard to be witty get so much positive rep.

Also, I've negged a few subs who have then proceeded to PM me asking why. It's pathetic that some people take it so seriously!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iron Lady)
    Most people on TSR are left-wing, so as there are more of them, they will gang up on and attack right wingers.
    i agree, this is so true, most truthful thing i heard since joining student room....

i have noticed that everytime i have an opinion that goes against everyone else, those people suddenly turn into keyboard warriors and argue so much and get other people to gang up on you.....

quite sad really

ReputationRep:
    i agree, this is so true, most truthful thing i heard since joining student room....

i have noticed that everytime i have an opinion that goes against everyone else, those people suddenly turn into keyboard warriors and argue so much and get other people to gang up on you.....

quite sad really
    Exactly - it's a way to stroke their egos.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wattsy)
    Wrong, you have to have -100 to get 3. I'm on -143 and I don't care, I don't like negs for no reason, and if I go below -200 I'm not particularly happy because I'm not really that controversial and that gets you 4 red gems! I can handle it but it hardly fills me with joy.

I just found a bit that really hacks me off! I have 1292 posts and my rep power is 0, the new guy with 1 post has a rep power of 1. I'm supposed to be 'Exalted and Worshipped' yet TSR values my post rating at nothing, that is not a cool feature.
    Sorry, my mistake.

ReputationRep:
    Its certainly not a matter of life and death, it is nice when you see people agree with or find a particular post of yours funny. But a number of red gems at least hints that a user may talk ****, is a ****, or most importantly might be a troll, so the system at least serves that purpose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobifier)
    I have always assumed that the disco gems still exist for that one member who makes a post amusing enough to get him all the way through the gold gems (which I guess probably also are hanging around somewhere).
    Well considering it's been 2.5 years and we still haven't touched the tenth shiny green gem (let alone the gold ones), even if the disco gem still exists I don't think it will ever be possible for a user to actually attain that much rep in practice.

Which was roughly the whole point of changing the rep system in 2010 - to combat rep "inflation"

ReputationRep:
    I like it when people agree with my posts but I think the rep system should be scrapped for reasons already stated.

ReputationRep:
    I am so confused!
    I wrote that I love getting good reps, and everyone neg repped me!!?
    come on! Seriously .........?
    i have soooooooooo much to offer!!!
    xxx

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.