Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    I need some advice http://static1.tsrfiles.co.uk/4.23/i...lies/frown.png

So does the LDR work?
    My boyfriend is moving all the way up to Ripon, so he'll be like four hours away
    and I'm not really liking the idea of him not being around
    He says it'll be fine as long as we text and call each day , and that it'll just make the time we have together more special but I don't know, I just don't like the idea
    I do trust him , But I do know what he can get like when he's out with his mates and am slightly worried about that
    Any Advice?

xx

ReputationRep:
    How long have you been together?

ReputationRep:
    A few months, but when we talk and are toghether , it's like we've know each other ages

ReputationRep:
    It definitely can work, mine is atm. We were together for two years beforehand though, and after this year won't be LD any more. If you make time to talk (preferably every day, even if its just a text) and see each other regularly then there's no reason why it absolutely can't. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    It depends. I have always been in a long distance relationship with my boyfriend; we started off an hour apart, now, since I've gone to uni, we're four hours apart. For us, it isn't a problem; obviously we miss each other and would love to spend all our time together, but we know that we'd rather see each other a little than not at all.

By the sound of your "I do trust him, but..." you don't trust your boyfriend and that is the issue here. If someone isn't committed enough to remain faithful then a LDR can't work.

I think it's important for you to talk to him about your relationship and explain your concerns so that you both know where you stand.

ReputationRep:
    I was kind of like you, been with my boyfriend a few months and seeing him every other day and then bam! off to uni you go and you're 4-5 hours away. Seeing as I have been in my LDR for 3 years now and still going strong it's proof it can work. this was only through skype/calls each day and seeing each other every few weeks we can. I'm not saying it's easy, but it's definitely worth it as long as the trust is there. Let him go out with his mates, give him that little space but maybe just send him a goodnight text or call the next morning to see how he is if you're worried. Not all LDR's work, but they can be worth it in the long run, I know mine will be when I move in with him in September. Good luck!
    • TSR Support Team

(Original post by Karinartemis)

So does the LDR work?
    My boyfriend is moving all the way up to Ripon, so he'll be like four hours away
    He says it'll be fine as long as we text and call each day , and that it'll just make the time we have together more special but I don't know, I just don't like the idea
    I do trust him , But I do know what he can get like when he's out with his mates and am slightly worried about that
    Any Advice?

xx
    Some do work and some don't, it is all about communication and honesty with each other, if you are both willing to put the effort in then it is possible. Also we got a big thread here with many people in your situation http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=626670

ReputationRep:
    My advice is that you need to change your attitude in order for this to work. You need to stop doubting your relationship and instead of saying 'I'm worried it might not work' you need to say 'It will be challenging and potentially difficult but I am going to put everything into this because I WANT it to work'. Otherwise, you don't have a chance and will probably break up in the first month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karinartemis)

So does the LDR work?
    Any Advice?

xx
    Don't worry, the doubting and worries are normal for the first few weeks/months and then you'll get used to it and feel more relaxed and comfortable with it If it's meant to be it will work out. Just concentrate on other things and keep distracted it makes everything easier and the other posts are right, communication preferably everyday is the key.

ReputationRep:
    Try it, if it works great, if it doesnt then its a shame but you'll move on, Me and my partner are in an LDR and we're in a potentially temporary break up at the moment but the distance isnt even a factor in the issues

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.