Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I dropped out of University at the start of January and now work full time in retail.
    I'm considering studying for a degree part time because I don't want to go back to University full time and would like to keep working full time.

I'm thinking a Business related degree would be the best way forward. Would employers look at me more favourably if I did a degree with the Open University, or a part time degree at a brick Uni nearby?

ReputationRep:
    OU degrees are generally well though of, so unless the nearby brick uni has some huge edge (e.g. it has an amazing reputation for you subject, or whatever) then I'd say there's no great difference.

It's probably worth thinking a bit about what would work best for you study-wise - OU study is really flexible (e.g. no need to attend lectures; study whenever and wherever suits you) but requires you to motivate yourself and work well independently; going to a brick uni would give you face-to-face contact with your lecturers and fellow students, but might affect when you could work, job-wise (e.g. lectures might happen at not very convenient or consistent times).

ReputationRep:
    what is brick uni?
    how can I know its reputation for a specific subject?
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foreverabsent)
    Would employers look at me more favourably if I did a degree with the Open University, or a part time degree at a brick Uni nearby?
    Well, I've studied with the Open University and I've recently been told that the OU is ranked in the top 40 universities in the UK.

Unless the brick uni. is ranked higher than the OU then from an academic perspective you'd be far better off with the OU.

Having said that I think the majority of employers would prefer you to have a degree from a traditional brick uni. Once you've graduated there's no difference at all in the piece of paper you get at the end of the day. The only difference would be that your cv would automatically indicate that you've done a part-time degree over 5-6 years instead of the usual 3-4 years for a full time course.

If you studied with the OU it would still be classed as part-time studies and it usually takes a student 5-6 years to get a first degree.

Given the choice between a part-time degree with the OU and part-time degree at a traditional uni. I'm sure that the majority of employers would much prefer you to have the latter. It is far more respectable to study at a traditional uni. instead of distance learning with the OU.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.