Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Help me please for my mission! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey people!

I'm an 18 year old girl, 5 foot 2 and 11 stone 2 (aka very overweight).
    I've played sports all my life but having had 2 knee operations by the time I was 18 really set me back. I was 9 stone 7 on the night of my formal in Oct 2011 and since then, not exercising has just taken its toll completely - yes it is my own fault for not watching what I was eating.

Basically, I'm going to America for the whole summer to work at a camp. I leave in exactly 3 months time and I would love to be 10stone for leaving. So I'm looking to lose 16 pounds in 3 months (probably unrealistic but I really want to try). I've already lost 4 pounds in the last 6 weeks or so but now I'm ready to go harder at it.

I've basically stopped drinking (and as a first year this has been tough enough). I'm using myfitnesspal and limiting myself to 1200 calories - but when I exercise then I can eat more I suppose or this is what I've been doing. I've been exercising 3 times a week but I'm trying to increase this to 5 times.

I've been doing 30 minutes on the bike (200 calories approx on the machine), 20 minutes on the cross trainer (200 calories again) and then 40 lengths of swimming. By doing the bike - surely this would mean I'm gaining muscle in my legs but I want to lose weight, not gain muscle. Due to my knee operations I am not able to use the treadmill/go for a run so I have to make do with these machines

My eating pattern kind of sucks. I have weightwatchers bread for breakfast, a ham sandwich/soup for lunch and then for dinner I have spaghetti bol/chicken curry/chicken & pasta or something like that. Did not realise how many calories were in rice or pasta until myfitnesspal! Crazy. My problem is that I'm ALWAYS hungry. No matter how much water I drink or whatever - and I don't like vegetables (was never forced in to it as a child and now I just don't eat them at all) so my dinners be kind of poor quality. Find myself eating chewing gum and crackers allllll the time.

Any tips at all would be really appreciated. Any exercise tips. Anything to increase calorie loss. Anything to help with stopping hunger.

16 pounds in 3 months? Can it be done with good will power? Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    16 pounds in three months can absolutely definitely be done. You need to use MyFitnessPal to count calories and make sure you stay under the goal. There's no need to be hungry. You must be able to find SOME kind of vegetable that you like, because there's so many. And even if you don't like them then it's a good idea to try harder, because vegetables are good for you and contain vitamins etc.

ReputationRep:
    My fitness pal is amazing. I lost over 1 and a half stone using if, but you have to use it properly for it to work. I suggest having porridge and fruit for breakfast? That should keep you fuller? Exercise seems good but your body will get used to it eventually and you may plateau? Try switching things up. Try walking/pilates(great for strengthening joints) and strength training to tone? The bike won't give you great big muscles either, it'll tone for sure but I doubt you'll gain muscle from it so don't worry about that. Biggest tip I can give is to weigh weekly. It's great motivation and doesn't get you too obsessed about numbers. Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You're probably hungry because it sounds like you're not eating enough.

Google BMR and work that out. Then you can get a proper idea of the food you need to eat. Your body will probably burn around 2000 calories at least just to keep you alive... That's without exercise. You should really try to eat more vegetables and fruit. You don't mention what you're drinking... I'd try to stay away from fizzy stuff. Make sure you're getting enough water fluids.

Also, gaining muscle is a good thing! Honestly, it is. I'd try to get some weights in aswell, instead of just doing cardio. You will lose weight doing that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neillom)
    Hey people!

I'm an 18 year old girl, 5 foot 2 and 11 stone 2 (aka very overweight).
    I've played sports all my life but having had 2 knee operations by the time I was 18 really set me back. I was 9 stone 7 on the night of my formal in Oct 2011 and since then, not exercising has just taken its toll completely - yes it is my own fault for not watching what I was eating.

Basically, I'm going to America for the whole summer to work at a camp. I leave in exactly 3 months time and I would love to be 10stone for leaving. So I'm looking to lose 16 pounds in 3 months (probably unrealistic but I really want to try). I've already lost 4 pounds in the last 6 weeks or so but now I'm ready to go harder at it.

I've basically stopped drinking (and as a first year this has been tough enough). I'm using myfitnesspal and limiting myself to 1200 calories - but when I exercise then I can eat more I suppose or this is what I've been doing. I've been exercising 3 times a week but I'm trying to increase this to 5 times.

I've been doing 30 minutes on the bike (200 calories approx on the machine), 20 minutes on the cross trainer (200 calories again) and then 40 lengths of swimming. By doing the bike - surely this would mean I'm gaining muscle in my legs but I want to lose weight, not gain muscle. Due to my knee operations I am not able to use the treadmill/go for a run so I have to make do with these machines

My eating pattern kind of sucks. I have weightwatchers bread for breakfast, a ham sandwich/soup for lunch and then for dinner I have spaghetti bol/chicken curry/chicken & pasta or something like that. Did not realise how many calories were in rice or pasta until myfitnesspal! Crazy. My problem is that I'm ALWAYS hungry. No matter how much water I drink or whatever - and I don't like vegetables (was never forced in to it as a child and now I just don't eat them at all) so my dinners be kind of poor quality. Find myself eating chewing gum and crackers allllll the time.

Any tips at all would be really appreciated. Any exercise tips. Anything to increase calorie loss. Anything to help with stopping hunger.

16 pounds in 3 months? Can it be done with good will power? Thank you!
    I'm in a similar position - trying to lose about 11-12 pounds in 3 months. So far, I've managed about 4-5 in 6 weeks, but I really want to push harder. I'd never heard of myfitnesspal until now - definitely going to try it!

I think 16 pounds is definitely do-able. That's less than 2 pounds per week!

Exercise-wise, you're definitely doing better than me - I'm ridiculously skint so I can only afford the odd gym class, 90% of the time I rely on home workouts. Usually 45 mins once or twice every day. I didn't think I would be able to achieve much by working out by myself like that, but it's been surprisingly effective. So it definitely might be worth you trying some exercise videos and stuff like that. DeStorm on YouTube is good, also there are a lot of fitness sites which give advice on what exercises to do depending on what areas you want to focus on the most.

Food - you mentioned you don't like vegetables. I'm not keen on them either, but I love eating chopped carrots, celery and cucumber with humous. Tasty and an easy way to get some veggies down you.

As for stopping hunger, I find filling up with veggie or fruit snacks usually does the trick - filling but low calories (especially celery-humous, apples, etc).

Hope this helps, and good luck, hope you achieve what you want to!

ReputationRep:
    Instead of having a couple of big meals a day it's healthier to have 5 healthy small meals. Keeps ur metabolism high 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elitemodella)
    Instead of having a couple of big meals a day it's healthier to have 5 healthy small meals. Keeps ur metabolism high

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you have any actually evidence to back up this claim, or have you just vaguely heard it somewhere?

From most things that I've ever read, eating calories at different times of the day has a negligible effect at best. I've always eaten the majority of my cals in the evening, for example (1,000 at least out of the 1,400 I eat when losing weight) and I've done okay.

The only thing that may be a problem is that if you allow yourself to get very hungry you'll be more likely to eat more at your meals.. but if you weigh out your portions then this can be prevented.

ReputationRep:
    Try to avoid carbs, such as pasta, bread and rice, instead have more meat, which should fill you up quicker.
    When you're exercising, on bikes and cross trainers etc, don't have it on a high level (presuming you can adjust the levels on your equipment?) because that will build muscle, where as having it on a lower level is like cardio, so you're less likely to build as much muscle.
    If you don't like vegetables, maybe try to eat more fruit, but although it's healthy it's high in natural sugars so not too much. But also, there are SOOOO many vegetables out there, so just try new ones, and you're bound to like one of them.
    If you get hungry often, try to distract yourself from it by doing something, you may find that you're not actually hungry, but just bored or something

hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sofiax0)
    Try to avoid carbs, such as pasta, bread and rice, instead have more meat, which should fill you up quicker.
    When you're exercising, on bikes and cross trainers etc, don't have it on a high level (presuming you can adjust the levels on your equipment?) because that will build muscle, where as having it on a lower level is like cardio, so you're less likely to build as much muscle.
    If you don't like vegetables, maybe try to eat more fruit, but although it's healthy it's high in natural sugars so not too much. But also, there are SOOOO many vegetables out there, so just try new ones, and you're bound to like one of them.
    If you get hungry often, try to distract yourself from it by doing something, you may find that you're not actually hungry, but just bored or something

hope this helps
    What's your thinking about avoiding carbs? Carbohydrates are an important part of a balanced diet. Too much of anything is a bad thing.

Also, if you're in a calorie deficit (which you have to be in order to lose weight) there's no way having machines on a higher setting will build any kind of significant muscle. Increasing the difficulty of exercise is the only way to progress. Doing cardio on the lowest setting won't burn as many calories as having to work harder for a higher setting.

(Original post by sofiax0)

hope this helps
    You know, it's actually pretty rude to neg somebody when they're giving information. There are so many misconceptions about dieting and exercise. You should be grateful that people are willing to take the time to explain things to you.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.