Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Please help me with this concentration question! watch

ReputationRep:
    So I've been carrying out an experiment using spectroscopy. I dissolved a penny weighing 3.599g in 20cm3 of nitric acid. Then I poured this solution into a 100cm3 volumetric flask and made up to the mark with water. Then I divided these in 4 beakers of 25cm3 and added 2cm3 of ammonia to each. After this, I extracted 4 mls of this solution and poured it into a test tube, and added 4ml of deionised water. After shaking it, I pipetted the solution into a 1cm3 cuvette (3/4 of the way) and measured the absorbance. Using beers law I calculated the concentration to be = 0.000396695 however I am assuming because of the dilutions this is not the concentration of the original brass solution therefore it won't get me the correct mass. How do I go about this? Please help

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 13, 2013
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.