Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm Dyslexic, but very good at covering it up, years of practice. I'm in the top set 4 english but have been told i will struggle in the exam but CW is like a or b so i'm not going to fail. But will it look bad when i go for uni and sixth form as i'm not staying at my school. When applying to secondary schools i couldent get in to the Grammer school because of it so i ended up at a pretty bad school. I hope this wont be the case again.

woud love to know

Thanx

ReputationRep:
    No. Being dyslexic won't affect your chances of going to a top university or grammar school. If they reject you because of that, you should sue them for discrimination. You'll get extra time in your exams - increasing your chances of doing better. I know of some very clever people that are dyslexic - one had an interview at Cambridge and was offered a place. You shouldn't worry about being discriminated against just because you're dyslexic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boygenious)
    being dylesic sholdn't afect yuo in shcool.
    beat me to it

ReputationRep:
    it shouldn't hopefully cause you too many problems Im only jsut getting tested for dyslexia now i'm at uni and i did fine at school. It pisses me off a little bit though that after 4 months of teaching my teacher suggected getting a test wheras i've been at school for god knows how many years and they ignored all my problems and just had a go at me for my spelling and handwriting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sian14)
    I'm Dyslexic, but very good at covering it up, years of practice. I'm in the top set 4 english but have been told i will struggle in the exam but CW is like a or b so i'm not going to fail. But will it look bad when i go for uni and sixth form as i'm not staying at my school. When applying to secondary schools i couldent get in to the Grammer school because of it so i ended up at a pretty bad school. I hope this wont be the case again.

woud love to know

Thanx
    Don't worry, it shouldn't affect you. I'm dyslexic, and I got an offer from Cambridge to read English.

Try and screw as much help from your school as possible, extra time, word processing etc. It makes a big difference.

No school will refuse to accept you because of your dylexia, you just need show them your intelligence!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winorloose)
    Don't worry, it shouldn't affect you. I'm dyslexic, and I got an offer from Cambridge to read English.

Try and screw as much help from your school as possible, extra time, word processing etc. It makes a big difference.

No school will refuse to accept you because of your dylexia, you just need show them your intelligence!
    Agreed 100%. My girlfriend is terribly dyslexic but still managed to get BBC at A level. I was very proud of her to say the least

ReputationRep:
    I am dyslexic and i get 25% extra time and use of a computer. Generally it should not make a difference as you should tell them and they are not allowed to refuse you just on that

ReputationRep:
    dyslexic joke:

What did the devil-worshipping dyslexic do?
    Sold his soul to santa.

Sorry, i couldn't resist

ReputationRep:
    Dyslexia is fine as longs as its not used as an excuse because everybody will see through it. It this reason that most people choose not to have the extra time in university exams.

However as longs as your tutors know you're dyslexic then they can't mark you down. If you have good grades if anything being dyslexic may improve your chances of getting into university as the universities will be keen to avoid discrimation charges.

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine is dyslexic yet constantly does well and is hoping to go to Oxford to read history.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2004
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.