Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am currently picking my a levels. I am thinking about going on to do psychology as a career so for my alevels I have chosen psychology, sociology, history and I need one more! Which is better law Btec or applied science Btec? I was going to do English lit but I think I would have too much of a work load as the rest are essay based subjects

ReputationRep:
    English Lit would be a good subject to take. But it is difficult in the amount of work required. I would stay away from BTEC Law because it isn't respected as an A-level, let alone as a BTEC. It has nothing to do with the degree content either. (I realise you don't want to study Law). My aunt used to teach it as an A-level. Can I ask why you need to take 4 subjects? Are you planning on dropping one at the end of AS? I do four subjects and the amount of work is pretty intense, especially if you are aiming for top grades.
    I would advise choosing the 3 you have there because they are good, solid subjects that will keep your options open. If you must take four, then English lit or applied science.

ReputationRep:
    Can you do law as an a level?

ReputationRep:
    Definitely applied science as it gives you a wider scope. English lit while a good option, means all your choices are in a narrow subject area, but with science unis will see that you're more of an all-rounder

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking that biology might be useful for psychology - most of my friends who are looking to study that subject picked up biology as a traditional science that had the most relevance to psychology.

Edit: whoops, sorry, misread your question. I'd say applied science, in that case

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ffijon)
    Can you do law as an a level?
    If your college/sixth form offer it, yes. But beware, it is not particularly respected and is not relevant to a Law degree.

ReputationRep:
    If you're looking to apply for the top universities then keep away from applied subjects or BTEC's. English Lit would be a very good choice although it will mean doing an essay every week at the least.

ReputationRep:
    Applied science, it broadens your scope

ReputationRep:
    I was like this, I wanted to pursue a career in psychology and picked psychology sociology law and maths for A-levels.. Just warning you, sociology is possibly the most boring subject, psychology is brilliant though

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.