Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I'm looking for a summer job between graduation and starting a PGCE in September. I'm unsure of the best places to look, however - I've looked through several job websites but it's hard to filter down vacancies to jobs that will take me on temporarily over the summer. I've never worked before so does anyone have any advice?

ReputationRep:
    *bump*

Would really appreciate some useful advice - I'm a novice when it comes to this sort of thing.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBritishArmy)
    Hi all, I'm looking for a summer job between graduation and starting a PGCE in September. I'm unsure of the best places to look, however - I've looked through several job websites but it's hard to filter down vacancies to jobs that will take me on temporarily over the summer. I've never worked before so does anyone have any advice?

You need to look for something seasonal and touristy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBritishArmy)
    Seeing as you're starting a PGCE it would be great to work with kids! How about looking into working at a summer club for children? This is obviously seasonal work as they are at school during term time so the job would just be over the summer
    Also, the day nursery that I used to work at took on students over the summer so the main staff could go on holiday. I know the children would be a bit younger than the age you'd be teaching but it's all valuable experience and it can be fun too!
    Most of these kinds of jobs aren't actually advertised...so it's a case of finding contact numbers of people that run kids clubs and nurseries (google is a good tool for this) and just phoning people up and explaining your situation. Tell them you are going to be studying for a PGCE and so you're looking for a job for over the summer, they'll appreciate your enthusiasm and you should get a few positive responses This is how ive found jobs in the past

Good luck!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Local council websites may be a good place to start

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.