Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Where do go on a date? Watch

ReputationRep:
    While I've got no problem in asking a girl out, I've never actually done so before. The problem is I wouldn't know where to take her.

A movie seems a little childish to me. I feel like going to a restaurant is a little too serious (I'm 20 btw, as is the girl I want to ask out), though it's an option. The only things I can really think of are meeting for coffee, or asking her to join me and my friends for drinks at the bar we usually go to. I do get incredibly awkward talking to girls in front of my friends though for some reason, even though it should actually take the pressure off.

Any advice? What's worked for you in the past?

ReputationRep:
    I agree about things being awkward in front of friends, it doesn't help at all.

ReputationRep:
    Dinner but somewhere nice and casual would be my bet, followed by a nice drink in a relaxed bar if things had gone well. There is nothing inherently serious about food - Pizza Express, if you must!

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the kind of impression you want to make, although the setting of the date isn't entirely determined on it. For e.g a typical date would be movies and dinner (and maybe a sleepover :3)
    But your personality obviously alters the 'enjoyment factor' - and if she's new to dating to then it won't be bland or boring

Ice skating... really fun

Alternatively you could try a gay bar

ReputationRep:
    back to your house, kebab shop, walk round town, starbucks ect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guitarded)
    While I've got no problem in asking a girl out, I've never actually done so before. The problem is I wouldn't know where to take her.

A movie seems a little childish to me. I feel like going to a restaurant is a little too serious (I'm 20 btw, as is the girl I want to ask out), though it's an option. The only things I can really think of are meeting for coffee, or asking her to join me and my friends for drinks at the bar we usually go to. I do get incredibly awkward talking to girls in front of my friends though for some reason, even though it should actually take the pressure off.

Just confidently ask a girl out to a restaurant. It's not too formal - it works, and it makes the girl feel special that you asked her to a restaurant. It's good to do something over food because then you have something to do to punctuate your conversation, so there will be fewer awkward silences - you'll be busy chewing when you can't think of anything. Just do it. It wont necessarily go perfectly the first time but it's fun to talk to someone and once you've done it a few times you'll become rehearsed and practiced so that when you do find the one, things go more smoothly! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JediArron)

Alternatively you could try a gay bar
    Haha that genuinely sounds like a great idea. Like it would just be crazy fun and hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Albino)
    Kebab shop...really? That's more of a relationship thing.

I'd say go for a coffee or something, go somewhere you'll be able to talk uninterrupted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

you want something you can chat over. so not a movie...

either coffee
    or dinner
    or a drink one evening

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cyfer)
    Haha that genuinely sounds like a great idea. Like it would just be crazy fun and hilarious.
    Yeah, in that scenario I'm not speaking from experience, I'd imagine it's something you'd do after you've gone on a few dates and want to spice it up a bit. On a first date I'd assume it imprints that you're not taking it seriously or it's just a big joke, but after a while I'd make it a genuine recommendation

ReputationRep:
    For a walk, town, window shopping...as real as gets bro.

ReputationRep:
    Somewhere where you can pull a quickie if things go well.

ReputationRep:
    NANDOS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eliza.anne)
    Kebab shop...really? That's more of a relationship thing.
    Girls love it when i take them to 'Ali Babas Kebabs' dunno what you're on about

ReputationRep:
    I know you're unsure about going to see a film, but I'd be inclined to say the cinema. It provides a good talking point afterwards

Either that, or go for a coffee. It's cheaper and you'll probably have more time to chat.

ReputationRep:

I agree about the movie thing - for a first date it always seems a bit odd to me. Not so much childish, but just because the whole point is to get to know each other, and it seems to defeat the point, spending two hours in a dark room watching a film with a bunch of other people! Is that just me? :dontknow:

I find eating in front of people I don't know quite awkward, also as you said it seems a bit too serious at our age. If you feel awkward seeing her with your friends then avoid doing that - you want to feel comfortable enough to chat to her. Although I'm sure when you know her better, you'll be happy chatting to her in front of your friends. Taking her out for coffee is a good idea I think. If it's going well you can easily do something afterwards, if you're getting along really well.

ReputationRep:
    Girls love it when i take them to 'Ali Babas Kebabs' dunno what you're on about
    Seriously?!? For a first date I'd imagine most girls would be very unimpressed with that lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

See signature. If you can't be bothered - out for drinks at a fancy bar.

ReputationRep:
    you romantic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eliza.anne)
    Seriously?!? For a first date I'd imagine most girls would be very unimpressed with that lol.
    You obviously havent tried ali babas kebabs then lol

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2013
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.