Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Really confused about Physics paper question (OCR) Watch

ReputationRep:
    In this paper, Q2 (a) (ii):

http://www.ocr.org.uk/images/58130-q...nd-photons.pdf

Surely the answer is that negative ions move to the positive terminal of the battery?

The mark scheme and examiner report both say that it is positive ions.

Inside the battery, the positive terminal is positive because positive charges are being pushed onto it. The negative terminal, similarly, is negative because negative charge is being deposited there by the chemical reactions taking place in the electrolyte. This is how a battery works.

You are thinking about what happens outside in the circuit.
    Outside, the negative charges that have been deposited and have collected on the negative terminal flow around to the positive terminal if there is a circuit connection that lets them.

So the system is
    -charges inside get pushed onto the terminals (energy provided by the battery)
    -charges flow from terminals around the circuit back to the battery where they get pushed back onto the opposite terminal to go round again.

ReputationRep:
    Okay thank you.

It's just very confusing because my notes and book say in electrolytes the charge carriers are ions. Positive ions are attracted to the negative electrode and negative ions to the positive electrode, and this is all it has about electrolytes and ions.

So I don't know how we are expected to know that it works like this in a battery?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mule)
    Okay thank you.

It's just very confusing because my notes and book say in electrolytes the charge carriers are ions. Positive ions are attracted to the negative electrode and negative ions to the positive electrode, and this is all it has about electrolytes and ions.

So I don't know how we are expected to know that it works like this in a battery?
    Well that's true.

Whatever chemical reactions take place, the general principle of electrons going around the outer circuit and ions flowing in the opposite direction through the electrolyte happens in all batteries.

Have a look at this. explains it in clear and concise terms:

http://www.explainthatstuff.com/batteries.html

(Original post by Mule)
    Okay thank you.

You are confusing two different situations.

The case where "positive ions are attracted to the negative electrode" is for when you apply an external pd to the solution. Eg connect an external battery across a copper sulphate solution. This is not a battery.

The case of a battery is totally different. Here, the chemical reactions inside the battery (in the solution) move charges to the terminals. The terminals become "charged" as a result.

ReputationRep:
    ITS always from positive to negative

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.