Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Is it weird to be in your twenties and not want a boyfriend/girlfriend? Watch

ReputationRep:
    If you're not that bothered about relationships etc when you're in your 20's is there a chance that you might 'get left on the shelf' so to speak as your 20's slowly evolve into your 30's and beyond?

ReputationRep:
    Your 20s span 10 years and that obviously is a long time. Many people go through phases in their 20s of not wanting a relationship, but there are perhaps not as many people who feel like that for the entire duration of this period of life. And even if they do, their attitude might change as they get older. Being single at any age is becoming increasingly socially acceptable anyway and nowadays no one bats an eyelid at a 30+ singleton. And people who marry in their 20s and seemingly have it sorted might be divorced in 10 years' time and 'back on the shelf' as it were. I guess if you want kids though, it's generally advised to get the ball rolling earlier rather than later. As for reasons why a 20 something might not want a relationship: maybe they simply want to play the field, want the single life after a relationship, don't feel ready for a relationship. There are many reasons. As long as they're happy and not hurting anyone it doesn't matter what a person wants, really.

ReputationRep:
    No, why would there be anything weird about it?
    • TSR Support Team

Nothing wrong with it, I went through a face in my mid 20s in not wanted a girlfriend.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chefdave)
    If you're not that bothered about relationships etc when you're in your 20's is there a chance that you might 'get left on the shelf' so to speak as your 20's slowly evolve into your 30's and beyond?
    I suppose you will go through the wedding season in your late 20s so there will probably be fewer prospective partners out there by the time your 20s draw to a close compared to when they began, but there will still be plenty around and there's no point being in a relationship you don't want to be.

I imagine staying single throughout your 30s too becomes more problematic if you want to have kids, but there isn't a similar biological issue with. 20s

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm going through that phase right now. The only girl I actually want to be with is taken due to idiocy on my part, so I'd rather just be single for the time being. Even my housemate has tried it on with me but I just don't want any of it. Meh. Sucks when I think about it, but that's how it is.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chefdave)
    No, I'm 20 and I just came out of a 2 years long relationship a few months ago, and I sure as hell aren't looking for a relationship at the moment, and I don't think it's abnormal...

I don't think I'll get left out either, there's far too many people in the world for me not to find that special someone whom I'd like to settle down with...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    Nothing wrong with it, I went through a face in my mid 20s in not wanted a girlfriend.
    But eventually you pulled an about-face and ended up with someone? :cool:
    • TSR Support Team

(Original post by Teofilo)
    But eventually you pulled an about-face and ended up with someone? :cool:
    Good god I made an awful typo, was meant to say phase

ReputationRep:
    Good! They're a pain in the ass. You don't have to worry, despite my cynical self you will at some point experience someone who will contradict every ****ing thing you know, believe or expect to happen. Until then.. enjoy being single. It's so easy in hindsight. It's the age old thing about not having something, so you want it *or think you should want it.

ReputationRep:
    No single male in their 20's wants a girlfriend. They want to have meaningless sexual intercourse with thousands of attractive willing females. Unfortunately there aren't a thousand willing attractive females for each man so as a compromise he gets a girlfriend who, in return, gets someone to take out the rubbish, do DIY and maybe impregnate her one day. That's life.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.