Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    French. It was ridiculously dull and the stuff we learnt was close to useless. Regret doing Chemistry as well but that was more to do with the fact I found it so difficult...

ReputationRep:
    AS Modern History. I did really well in it but it took up all of my revision time last year, so I dropped it. However, I also hate English Lit. French and Physics are pretty good, and Maths is awesome. My biggest regret is not doing AS Further Maths last year; I picked it up this year and got the highest exam result in the year on FP1, but I can't do an A2 in it

ReputationRep:
    Geography, because I'm the only girl in my class, it's boring and because we get hardly any work done during lessons so we have to do an entire lesson for homework. Also, I'd prefer napping during a free to getting shouted at for napping during geography.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xTashax)
    Pretty self explanatory really, just wondering if anyone is similar to me

I slightly regret taking Spanish! Spanish was one of the lowest grades I got and one of those subjects where pretty much everything you learnt in the past will become relevant in future studies. Not saying the stuff I learnt at GCSE has no relevancy at all to what I am doing now but I've forgotten quite a bit of what I have learnt and I don't really find its necessary to have all that info to do the studying at advanced level.

Spanish is one of the hardest subjects. It requires constant practise and I'm not doing so well in it. The jump for spanish is ridiculous and since i got average at gcses and did a lot better in other subjects, it makes it even harder for me. I chose it because I changed from chemistry at A level and my spanish teacher was willing to take me on the course two months after I had started! I wish I did something I enjoyed better and not what will make me look good when I apply for Uni because what's the point in doing a good subject but getting a low grade? I would've picked geography because I absolutely loved it but was told that taking it at A level was too specific (meaning I would've probably ended up doing a geography degree) and I didn't want to do geography! What silly advice! I thought that Spanish would help me to get into the top Uni's better but if I got geography at a top grade, then I would still likely be able to get into a top uni too. I want to do English at uni anyway! Disappointed really

I would've kept chemistry had I not panicked as well! It got easier during the year, so said all of my old classmates and the jump was so massive. I thought it was chemistry that was the problem but it was just a levels in general. Spanish is a fun language to learn but my chances of getting into a top uni have slightly lowered, just because I'm struggling.

best advice: do the subjects you ENJOY THE MOST
    a levels are so demanding anyway. If you don't enjoy your subject then... well, good luck.

ReputationRep:
    German. Too much work on top of my other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Maths. I don't have much choice because I need a maths A Level for what I want to do. I just don't enjoy it, find it very challenging and don't find my teacher very interesting or supportive when I don't understand something.

ReputationRep:
    Maths for the simple fact I wasn't very good at it. I had to work a ridiculous number of hours to get a b at AS and it just made me so stressed and tired when I could have been revising for my other exams.

It was interesting enough though, I guess, just not a subject I was naturally good at.

ReputationRep:
    Psychology, its absolutely pointless. I would of rather done philosophy or history.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Physics. I love electricity but mechanics, materials and waves do my absolute head in. With two other hard subjects (German is very easy for me so it doesn't count) it's just so much work and stress to learn it, and Physics is the least relevant to my career choice.

Why, Physics, WHYYY?>>

ReputationRep:
    Spanish, I was really unprepared for that leap from GCSE to A-level. I got an a* at GCSE with pretty minimal effort so I thought it would be okay, but it's so intense... it makes chemistry seem easy!

ReputationRep:
    Seen quite a lot of other people saying they regret taking a language. I loved French at GCSE, and got an A. But then at AS-level we were doing OCR, and I think the course structure is very flawed, especially if you've just come from doing easy Edexcel GCSE French. They should have first given us a huge list of vocabulary and told us to learn it ALL and THEN get us started on book exercises which have no effect unless you already are adept with the language. Because otherwise it's impossible to keep up with the workload and try to keep track of all the new words. That's what put me off I think. In my whole AS year I did about 2 pieces of homework for French and I still managed a high grade D (probably because I have a good memory and I already speak a Latin-based language, making it slightly easier for me) and since that was slightly higher than my low D in Physics (another I regret taking), I decided to carry it on into A2. Now I'm improving because I'm making vocab lists and practising my verbs etc, but I still wish I'd taken Economics instead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midnight1811)
    I like the concept of maths, but I haven't covered much a star stuff like competing the square. I'm still in yr 11 so I can still go though it
    I am doing maths at A2 level now and I would tend to disagree with the other member who said that only take maths if you are really passionate about it. for my AS january exam, I only revised for a week before the exam and got an A and I do not call myself too passionate but I do like the concept of maths. I also like Alevel Maths more than GCSE maths. But yes I do agree with the fact that you have to ask yourself some questions before going into the course. it also depends on what you want to do at uni. I want to do medicine but did not want to take physics so took chem, bio, maths although i kind of regret not taking physics as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midnight1811)
    Hey there ? How can I prevent this happening to me ? I'm still in year 11, should I just go over everything I learn about chemistry basics ! Please can you tell Mr:-)
    My advice is if you want to take chemistry, then don't listen to other people who might not have had a good experience. Another advice which will take you very far in life if you follow it is, first of all pay attention in classes and remain consistent with your work. You should not be like doing 5 hours work one day and then nothing the next day. Every day when you come home from school, go over all of what you have learnt that day and do all the homeworks that same night. Do this everyday and you won't have a lot of pressure at all in Alevels. Gradually, you will feel that as the pressure is increasing for those people who did not keep up with studies daily, it is actually reducing for you. Always go over everything you have learnt every night for that day. Follow this one advice and you know will be successful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evethomas)
    Physics - OCR Advancing Physics syllabus is awful and the exams are a nightmare.
    I'm going to be doing this syllabus next year what's so bad about it? Aren't there are revision guides?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    English lit - the examiners are too hash & look for specific things although its supposed to be subjective
    History - there is too much content to cram & the important bits are very dull
    But I need these subjects for my uni course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsNerd1)
    Biology, there's just too much to learn and extremely boring!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Exactly!Its too boring I just feel like sleeping and dream about the stars!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meilegg)
    Geography, because I'm the only girl in my class, it's boring and because we get hardly any work done during lessons so we have to do an entire lesson for homework. Also, I'd prefer napping during a free to getting shouted at for napping during geography.
    Snap, I'm the only girl in my class of 6 too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcao03)
    I slightly regret taking Spanish! Spanish was one of the lowest grades I got and one of those subjects where pretty much everything you learnt in the past will become relevant in future studies. Not saying the stuff I learnt at GCSE has no relevancy at all to what I am doing now but I've forgotten quite a bit of what I have learnt and I don't really find its necessary to have all that info to do the studying at advanced level.

Spanish is one of the hardest subjects. It requires constant practise and I'm not doing so well in it. The jump for spanish is ridiculous and since i got average at gcses and did a lot better in other subjects, it makes it even harder for me. I chose it because I changed from chemistry at A level and my spanish teacher was willing to take me on the course two months after I had started! I wish I did something I enjoyed better and not what will make me look good when I apply for Uni because what's the point in doing a good subject but getting a low grade? I would've picked geography because I absolutely loved it but was told that taking it at A level was too specific (meaning I would've probably ended up doing a geography degree) and I didn't want to do geography! What silly advice! I thought that Spanish would help me to get into the top Uni's better but if I got geography at a top grade, then I would still likely be able to get into a top uni too. I want to do English at uni anyway! Disappointed really

I would've kept chemistry had I not panicked as well! It got easier during the year, so said all of my old classmates and the jump was so massive. I thought it was chemistry that was the problem but it was just a levels in general. Spanish is a fun language to learn but my chances of getting into a top uni have slightly lowered, just because I'm struggling.

best advice: do the subjects you ENJOY THE MOST
    a levels are so demanding anyway. If you don't enjoy your subject then... well, good luck.
    I absolutely agree with you 100%.I mean just thinking about it now I just wish I took the subjects I enjoy most(although there weren't as many as One would expect)..and Another BIG ADVICE is that you should never take a subject you did in O level and passed well (not unless you passed well in all)---->because it is a little bit different in A level.I mean you obviously will not learn the same way you learned in GCSE and Just take subjects you love and enjoy and you would finally take it to uni and probably get a good job.----at least that's is the best you can do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacemenrule94)
    English literature, because it's the subject that makes me the most miserable
    Thank god their someone who feels my pain

ReputationRep:
    Biology

Too much to rote learn and not enough 'skill' involved

I am a man of great skill; hence why I like Physics and Mathematics

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.