Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Should I even consider Oxbridge- specifically Cambridge if my gcse grades are:
    2A*s 8As and 4Bs??

I have little A*s which isn't good compared to other students who have 10A*s
    Does it matter if I went to a poor comprehensive school?
    My AS level predictions are 4As. I haven't got my A2 predictions yet.
    Also, is it worth doing an EPQ next year?

I know, I know, this topic of "Are my grades good enough" is overkill -.- SORRY

ReputationRep:
    I think that if you go to a poor school when doing your GCSE's they give you more leeway as to the grades you got. This happened for someone that I know and he didnt get any A* at all

ReputationRep:
    Hey, they are good grades. I got an offer from oxford with 3a* 6a and a B at GCSE with a AAAD at AS, so I would definitely try depending on what you actually achieve in August. What subject do you want to apply for?

ReputationRep:
    if you're worried about your GCSEs apply to cambridge, they put much less emphasis on GCSE grades than oxford does. oxford actually uses an algorithm based on the number of A*s you have at GCSE, combined with your aptitude/TSA test to decide who to invite to interview. Cambridge focuses more on your A level UMS scores. The average amount of A*s at gcse for either uni is 5-7 I believe.

it makes absolutely no difference what kind of school you went to, they don't discriminate either way. however, make sure you are informed as to the admissions process as your school may not be, wheras private schools are usually very clued up.

EPQs are good but not that important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Short Story Long)
    Hey, they are good grades. I got an offer from oxford with 3a* 6a and a B at GCSE with a AAAD at AS, so I would definitely try depending on what you actually achieve in August. What subject do you want to apply for?
    I'm looking to apply for Engineering, hopefully if my main 3 A levels (Maths, Further and Physics) go well.
    Should I drop English literature and take up Chemistry AS next year? Or just focus on the three? Everyone on TSR says that they only focus on the top 3, however there are people who do well in 4 or even 5 A levels! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I got 3A*s, a Distinction* in Drama (worth 2 GCSEs at A* apparently), 3As, 2Bs and a C (the Bs and Cs were in Sciences, which has absolutely nothing to do with my degree in the slightest). I got A*A*A at A2 and an A at AS and I'm currently holding an unconditional offer from Cambridge. My advice? Focus on your A levels, your GCSEs should be fine as long as your Bs aren't in subjects related to your degree.

ReputationRep:
    Try Oxford Brooke's instead, Oxbridge is out of the question with a B grade at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vianli)
    I'm looking to apply for Engineering, hopefully if my main 3 A levels (Maths, Further and Physics) go well.
    Should I drop English literature and take up Chemistry AS next year? Or just focus on the three? Everyone on TSR says that they only focus on the top 3, however there are people who do well in 4 or even 5 A levels! :eek:
    Cambridge are interested in your AS UMS marks, almost everybody will have straight A grades at AS. They generate two averages-your sciences UMS and your top three-for this one they will include all Maths & FM as one subject so they will include the English results.)

If you do very well at UMS they will be relatively disinterested in your GCSEs-what were your Bs in? Very good GCSEs from a poor school give you an advantage, but they do not give allowance for weaker GCSEs just because of the school.

Chemistry AS is probably more useful for Engineering than English Lit A2 but I doubt it would make much difference to your chance of getting an offer.

Most serious Cambridge candidates are capable of doing four subjects including FM without harming their chances of good grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colmans)
    If you do very well at UMS they will be relatively disinterested in your GCSEs-what were your Bs in? Very good GCSEs from a poor school give you an advantage, but they do not give allowance for weaker GCSEs just because of the school.
    I got Bs in...Biology, Chemistry, Textiles and Music...
    For core and additional science, I got A*s but it was the triple grades that brought me down. Mainly due to the fact that our school doesn't make triple science compulsory and very few students chose it, so most of the people in the class just dossed around. The teachers didn't help either because they didn't even know what they were doing half the time.should've gotten a tutor or something I know it's not an excuse but hey, what can I do but worry and worry, revise and revise? TT^TT

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.