Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'd really like some advice to people who are already at Nottingham... I've got an email saying there is no more En-Suite accommodation so I can either accept my second preference or wait until results day to see if any become free if people don't make the cut.. Does anyone have any advice on the chances of getting one is? I'm really confused as to what to do!!
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentgrace)
    I'd really like some advice to people who are already at Nottingham... I've got an email saying there is no more En-Suite accommodation so I can either accept my second preference or wait until results day to see if any become free if people don't make the cut.. Does anyone have any advice on the chances of getting one is? I'm really confused as to what to do!!
    What's your second choice? Shared en-suite or single study? I'd be tempted to go with your second choice - otherwise, you're gambling on someone dropping out, not making their grades or whatever, and you don't know how far down the waiting list you are! Shared ensuite gives you almost the same privacy and everything - they tend to have same-gender pairs so you wouldn't get stuck sharing a bathroom with a really grim bloke or anything I'm in a single study, so I share a bathroom and loo with 4 other people, which works fine for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bethany_Rose)
    I recieved the same email today. I'm so confused as to what to do. Do you think if we were to wait until results that we may lose out on both our first and second choices? I just don't want to end up sharing a bethroom with someone I don't get along with.
    I'm not sure about you but I put my second room as large single study.. I didn't know whether to accept it and see which hall I get put in and if it doesn't seem to suit me change my mind and go on the waiting list? Because for all the people who don't get the grades and for all the people who get in as an insurance, we'd be ahead of them because we've firmed Nottingham?

and thank you alex193.. what hall are you in and are all the sharing bathrooms of 5 or can come be more?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about you but I put my second room as large single study.. I didn't know whether to accept it and see which hall I get put in and if it doesn't seem to suit me change my mind and go on the waiting list? Because for all the people who don't get the grades and for all the people who get in as an insurance, we'd be ahead of them because we've firmed Nottingham?

and thank you alex193.. what hall are you in and are all the sharing bathrooms of 5 or can come be more?
    In your position, I would go with the large single study. Be quick though, these are usually the next to fill after the ensuites. They tend to be in some of the nicer halls (Nightingale, Florence Boot, Hugh Stu) whereas the majority of ensuites are in Ancaster and Cavendish, which are nice enough, but lack the character of some of the older halls.
    this link from last year gives more insight -
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...ite+ripped+off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbow2753)
    In your position, I would go with the large single study. Be quick though, these are usually the next to fill after the ensuites. They tend to be in some of the nicer halls (Nightingale, Florence Boot, Hugh Stu) whereas the majority of ensuites are in Ancaster and Cavendish, which are nice enough, but lack the character of some of the older halls.
    Thank you so much for your advice, that link was really helpful, I don't think I'm going to wait for the chance of an en-suite when a larger single study seems far better!! I really appreciate everyones advice!
    Bethany_Rose, I think i'm going with my second choice as en-suites do not seem worth it one bit!
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Sherwood. I believe it can be up to 6 to a bathroom, but I've yet to have to wait for anyone with 5! There's sinks and mirrors in the studies anyway so we only use the bathroom for showers. It's cleaned daily BTW.

Studentgrac, if you were worrying about the ensuite, that link pretty much describes them. I had terrible problems fitting into the shower (6'3" problems lol) when I stayed in Cavendish, so it's up to you - do you want the privacy of an ensuite, albeit small, for ~£1K, or would you be happy to share?
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I've just read the above link too, about the en-suite. Quite relieved now that there are none available! Hopefully shared en-suite isn't quite as bad. I'm regretting not going for a large single study now though, sounds like you've come out with the best option!
    I'm at the end of a long corridor of shared ensuites and they seem to work really well - AFAIK they're gender-separated, lockable (in Sherwood at least - so you can only blame your neighbour when your shampoo disappears ) and everyone seems to get on fine.
    The best thing about the large studies is the bigger bed. Certainly from what I've seen, the floor area isn't that much greater per se but you get a nearly-double bed and a slightly bigger wardrobe I've got a standard and there's plenty of space for me (see page 2 for a pic )
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, that doesn't sound too bad actually. Would be nice to have a double bed but i'm sure I can survive with a single since that's what i'm used to anyway I think I'm probably just worrying for no reason. Looking at that picture, the size of the room seems good too. Thank you so much for your help, not so worried anymore. Just want to know what hall I've got now. Thanks again
    Yeah, the rooms aren't enormous (still managed to fit 14 medical students in for predrinks one night though) and it's hardly luxurious (consider bringing a rug and some posters!) but it's perfectly adequate to live in - I've found I don't actually spend much time in my room at all! There's many more options once you move out of halls, plus it's a lot cheaper (I'm in a 7 bed house, all double beds, nicely furnished, garden, garage and parking for £77 a week next year )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbow2753)
    I'd like to point out to any applicants for this year that the link in the quote above could not be further from the truth.

The difference between people who have an en-suite in Cavendish or Ancaster, and people who have shared/communal facilities, is that people who have an en-suite don't care if you don't have an en-suite.

Where as you get a small minority of people from other halls who find some need to publicly degrade the image of en-suite halls to prospective students. This is usually because they either have some silly underlying vendetta due to being either too late to apply for one a few months prior, or simply not being able to afford it. They then look to belittle en-suites and vilify those in them to fuel this ridiculous vendetta.

I was in a single study for 3 weeks. Want me to share some horror stories about it in those 3 weeks?

Eg: Cling film placed under the toilet seat, and you find out when it's too late?

Eg: All showers being taken up between 8am-9am, not necessarily even from people who are in your block. So you go to the lecture smelling and looking rather unappealing.

Eg - Worst one: Nothing working because that 'unilad' you're forced to share with decided to bring his entire sports team back after a friday night social, leaving all communal areas either broken or full of feces, fresh with the stench of stale urine? Also note: the cleaner doesn't come in for another 3/4 days after that - so it's up to someone to clean that up. It won't be the bloke you live with, because he's hungover.

All of that in 3 weeks. I was then transferred to an en suite in Cavendish. I love it here. The room is the exact same size as the single study. The bed is the same. The people are great and all this talk about 'hall character' is rather silly. A building is not a personality. You'd think people that are bright enough to get into Notts would know that. People bring halls to life, not the other way round. Nottingham is the best university in the UK for that, as they mix everyone up so nobody knows each other (which is why no one applies to a specific hall!). You'll always get good, exciting people in EVERY hall.

They always leave me a food pack when i'm late back for meal times due to sports. So what the person in that link is saying is total rubbish. It's probably because he speaks to them like he posts his threads.

Now, my experience isn't representative of everyone in a single study. Which is why I never posted it until I saw that link above, which made me both angry and deflated, as people are nervous enough about moving away to uni without moronic 1st years trying to scare them off because they failed at making friends and look to blame someone/thing apart from themselves. So they blame a hall with en-suites, haha, it's laughable really.

All in a single study, don't be put off by my experience As there's many I know who had a great time. And all who have read that nonsense post about en-suites: I can tell you first hand that it will be the best decision you made.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got Jubilee Campus Accomodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohdearinsanityy)
    x
    Thank you so much for reassuring me, after reading so much negativity (I got into Cavendish this year)!

I guess people are failing to realise that, as with anything, its what you make of it

ReputationRep:
    I think it's best said the halls are extremely dependant to who is there.. Ohdearinstanityy, I think it's fair to say you were possibly stuck with the worst boy so for you an £1000 was definitely worth it but had he not been there, things would have probably been fine! As you said, room size was no difference so by getting a shared bathroom you're effectively saving a lot of money, plus everyone else I've spoken to had no problems whatsoever with sharing.

It is definitely fair to say I am now in a mad panic over what to do with the rooms but I guess ill just have to see how things go and if you could move after 3 weeks all hope is not lost.
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohdearinsanityy)
    I'd like to point out to any applicants for this year that the link in the quote above could not be further from the truth. ... All in a single study, don't be put off by my experience As there's many I know who had a great time. And all who have read that nonsense post about en-suites: I can tell you first hand that it will be the best decision you made.
    Which hall did you start off in? :O Haven't heard of anything like that happening anywhere else, sounds like you got stuck with some seriously unpleasant people
    Very good point about 'hall character' though - it is a load of nonsense, everyone's randomly allocated so you get a really good mix of people, and people generally get on really well (ohdearinsanityy unfortunately seems to have been stuck with a bit of a 'lad') - but as she showed, if it really doesn't work out the uni will do their best to help sort things out. Someone moved into an empty room in our corridor a couple of weeks into the term, so it seems you can ask to switch if it really isn't working out!

ReputationRep:
    I've just applied for a large single room in University Park last Friday. Anyone knows the chances of getting it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Cavendish, en-suite - Zoology Foundation Year

ReputationRep:
    Received my offer from Broadgate Park for a shared bathroom, unfortunately I didn't get en-suite for which I applied for as my first choice :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adampowdrill)
    Just got my offer Willoughby hall, single study. Has anyone else had an offer for Willoughby? And do any current students know what it's like there? Thanks!
    I also got an offer for Willoughby hall single study :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annemariemoore)
    I've just gotten an offer for Willoughby hall today. You're the first person I've seen on TSR to have an offer from there too, haha. I think it looks like a nice hall! Fairly friendly, it's not a palace but it's all part of the student experience, eh? Just to get the grades now!
    I have also received an offer for Willoughby :-)

ReputationRep:
    Offer for Cavendish en-suite. Anybody else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chaelif)
    Offer for Cavendish en-suite. Anybody else?
    LOADS of people on the FB group in Cav!! :P

https://www.facebook.com/groups/492882774105402/

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.