Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Those with offers from Lenton & Wortley, I've made a thread especially for this halls of residence, so check the link below if you are interested

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2315481&p=42160 238#post42160238

ReputationRep:
    melton hall!!!

ReputationRep:
    St Peters Court

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex193)
    -
    You say you live in university halls and I was wondering if you could clear some things up. On the checklist of what to bring when you move in it says bedding and covers - does this mean I have to bring an actual duvet and pillow of my own with coverings or just to bring coverings such as sheets, duvet covers and pillow covers on their own :P
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilypsychology)
    You say you live in university halls and I was wondering if you could clear some things up. On the checklist of what to bring when you move in it says bedding and covers - does this mean I have to bring an actual duvet and pillow of my own with coverings or just to bring coverings such as sheets, duvet covers and pillow covers on their own :P
    I do indeed live in university halls
    In Sherwood (and I assume the other halls too), they do have duvets and pillowcases that you can borrow, but they don't provide sheets or anything. Most people bring their own, the uni ones seem to be steamrollered at some point during the laundry process

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex193)
    Don't worry about which hall you get put in, I've yet to meet anyone who doesn't like where they're living.
    Facilities-wise, each hall has its own laundry, with about 6 washers and 6 driers (£1.40 for a wash, £1 for a dry, but they're massive so you can do like 2 weeks worth of laundry in one go) and irons and ironing boards. There are pantries, normally in each block, with microwaves, kettles, bins etc (no full kitchens in catered halls sadly). The JCR has sofas, a TV with sky, and normally a couple of pool tables and a ping-pong table. The bar is, well, a bar, with table football, pool, sofas and stuff (pints are about £2 in the hall bars). The rooms get cleaned every fortnight, but you have to take your own rubbish to the communal bins in the pantries.
    Food is generally pretty good - if you're catered, you have breakfast and dinner in your hall and then for lunch you get £5.10 to spend in the restaurants and cafes on campus (some halls are open for lunch, there's cafes in the med school, libraries, engineering department, science block, then in the Portland building there's a massive food court with Starbucks, a pancake shop, Chinese, fried chicken, pizza and pasta, Carribean...). Portland building actually has loads of stuff - there's the SU shop, Boots, a beauty salon and hairdressers, a big bookshop, Costa, Santander and Natwest (with cashpoints!), a baguette bar...
    Locationwise, none of the halls on Uni Park are terribly far away from anything. Sherwood, Rutland and Nightingale have the advantage for the gym, Hu Stu and Flo Bo are nearest Portland, Lenton is foreveralone on the other side of campus... Seriously though, I'm a medic and the med school is practically the furthest away faculty, and the closest hall is about 8 minutes walk and the furthest is about 20 Bring a bike if you can, there's cycle paths all through the campus and city and it's a really quick way to get around. Buses go everywhere - getting into the centre is a flat £1 fare on the 34, 35 or 36, all of which acually stop right on campus. If you need to go to Jubilee, there's a free hopper bus that goes every 10 minutes or so, but beware - it gets really busy at peak times!
    EDIT - added photo, labelled everything that comes as standard in a single study, shared bathroom room (I share a bathroom and loo with 3 other people, works fine for me!). With the deluxe study, you get a double bed and a bigger room. With a deluxe shared bathroom, see above plus you only share a bathroom with 1 other person. The en-suite rooms have a shower and loo as well as the mini bathroom I have.
    Attachment 202639
    Which halls was that a picture of? Do you know anything about Willoughby hall? I'm doing medicine so it's miles away. Are the facilities good? Do you know what the rooms are like?
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippokrates)
    Which halls was that a picture of? Do you know anything about Willoughby hall? I'm doing medicine so it's miles away. Are the facilities good? Do you know what the rooms are like?
    That's my room in Sherwood - the ones I've seen in Wills are about the same size, slightly more modern (Sherwood's due a revamp). Wills is nice, big modern bar, nice central staircase with full-length windows and sofas and things. I've got some friends there, there seems to be a really good community and people go out with their floors and stuff - they had a big 1920's themed formal a few weeks ago which looked really fun. It's a bit of a commute, about 20 minutes or so. Easiest way is to go straight towards Portland, cut through science block and you end up right at the med school footbridge,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chaelif)
    Offer for Cavendish en-suite. Anybody else?
    yeh just got mine through. not too happy about the hall though:mad:. what are you hoping to study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by worksetsyoufree)
    yeh just got mine through. not too happy about the hall though:mad:. what are you hoping to study?
    Why're you not happy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by worksetsyoufree)
    Natural sciences? You?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dslash)
    Cool, Chemistry here. From Rotherham so not too far hehe, you?
    hey!, im also chemistry! in sherwood

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vicky__reeves)
    I just got an offer for Sherwood Hall - what is it like?
    hey, im also in sherwood!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naran)
    I'm doing Chemistry and I've just applied for an en-suit at Broadgate Park
    hey, im also doing chemistry!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, economics here, up in florence boot hall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukenoel123)
    hey, im also in sherwood!
    Hey guys I'm in Sherwood too!

ReputationRep:
    I'm also in Florence Boot Hall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chaelif)
    Natural sciences? You?
    Architecture

ReputationRep:
    Anyone at Raleigh Park on Sillitoe Court? Just received my offer from there

ReputationRep:
    Just got my offer of accommodation through for Rutland! not sure what it is like though

Any one else in Rutland studying architecture?

ReputationRep:
    So I got an accommodation offer for single study in willoughby hall, although from what I've read it doesn't seem too good of an allocation...
    I'm undecided as to whether to get reallocated: I plan to study architecture and wills seems quite a way from this department. However I do understand that the reallocation is at random so I may not be guaranteed a closer block.
    Can anyone give me advice or info on wills or on what to do?
    :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.