The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham Accommodation Offers: Meet Those In Your Halls!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Rutland, En suite
I haven't confirmed yet though! Does anyone know anything about what Rutland's like???
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by rodders1000
Ah ok fair enough do you know what nightingale is like? Have you applied for halls?

From what I heard, it is really good; but I've heard positives for the most of the halls in university park lol :tongue:

Yup, I got into Cavendish Hall :smile:
Reply 22
Hey guys, current 1st year student living on University Park here - if you've got any questions about life in halls, feel free to ask! I'm in Sherwood by the way :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by alex193
Hey guys, current 1st year student living on University Park here - if you've got any questions about life in halls, feel free to ask! I'm in Sherwood by the way :smile:

Hey! What's the atmosphere like in general, do people get on well/is it like a community? What do you know about Rutland? :biggrin: Thanks!
Original post by JasmineN19
Rutland, En suite
I haven't confirmed yet though! Does anyone know anything about what Rutland's like???

Rutland is a pretty average hall in terms of accommodation. Good location near the sports centre/gym and a nice walk across the downs to the centre of campus.
Prepare yourself for some 'friendly' banter if you're staying in Rutland :smile:
Reply 25
So from what I can gather the Hugh Stewart Hall is the largest and oldest? Is that a bad or a good thing? I can't decide :/ and still no one elseee in it??
Reply 26
Hey! What's the atmosphere like in general, do people get on well/is it like a community? What do you know about Rutland? :biggrin: Thanks!

Living in halls is really good fun - when you first move in, you'll know everyone in your block by the end of the day :tongue: I get on pretty well with all the people from my hall, you all live and eat together so you do get to know people pretty quickly. There's lots of events that the JCR run in each hall - we have open mic nights in the bar, pub crawls, socials, formal dinners once or twice a term, lots of charity stuff; so there's plenty to get involved with within your hall.
I don't know how much you know about Karnival, the uni charity fundraising organisation, but they run loads of events and each hall has its own team (along with special medic, physio and independant teams) which compete to raise the most. Go on some rag raids, they're infamously hilarious :cool:
Having been into most of the halls on uni park, each has its own attractions. The rooms are by and large the same across campus, especially in the newer halls, but for example Hu Stu has a really nice country house at the centre, Sherwood has pretty wood cladding, Rutland's got a giant octagonal library with a turret, Willoughby's got big open-plan seating areas by the stairs... Each hall has a bar, and 4 have The Mix, a kind of cafe where you can go for lunch and stuff.
Rutland and Sherwood are traditional rivals lol, you're just opposite us. Very near to the gym which is useful (£200 for unlimited gym, pool, physio and everything for the whole year btw).
Reply 27
Got an offer for Florence Boot - large single study!
Reply 28
Nightingale - Large single study, not as good as Florence or Cripps for Larges..
Reply 29
Original post by Dslash
Right? :P What course are you for? :smile:

Politics... You? Where you moving from? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Cavendish en suite! Anyone know what Cavendish is like? I don't think I saw it on the open day
Reply 31
Original post by Rainbow2753
Rutland is a pretty average hall in terms of accommodation. Good location near the sports centre/gym and a nice walk across the downs to the centre of campus.
Prepare yourself for some 'friendly' banter if you're staying in Rutland :smile:

So do you think it would be best not to be reallocated in case I got a worse halls?
Reply 32
Original post by rfm311
Cavendish en suite! Anyone know what Cavendish is like? I don't think I saw it on the open day

I stayed in Cav during medlink, from what I can remember the en-suites are pretty small (although I'm pretty big as well lol, I'm 6'3" and had trouble bending over in the shower to pick up the shampoo :colondollar: ) but the rooms are perfectly OK :smile: Some of the corridors are a bit bare, lots of painted breezeblock, but you could petition your JCR to put up posters or something if that bothers you! You do have one of the nicer bars though.

So do you think it would be best not to be reallocated in case I got a worse halls?

Rutland is nice, you're unlikely to get an 'upgrade' unless you get a more expensive room type. A single study in Lincoln is pretty much the same as a single study in Newark etc :smile: Can you even switch? I don't think we were able to last year lol.
Reply 33
Original post by alex193
Rutland is nice, you're unlikely to get an 'upgrade' unless you get a more expensive room type. A single study in Lincoln is pretty much the same as a single study in Newark etc :smile: Can you even switch? I don't think we were able to last year lol.

Ok, thanks for the reassurance; people keep saying it's bad and now I'm scared!! I'm going for en suite and emailed them to ask about it, they said that they can randomly reallocate me a room but I won't be able to change it, although it will be my first choice. So I'm too worried to risk it incase I really don't like the one they reallocate me to, so as long as the location and everything is nice then that's ok :smile: What are the facilities like?
Reply 34
Ok, thanks for the reassurance; people keep saying it's bad and now I'm scared!! I'm going for en suite and emailed them to ask about it, they said that they can randomly reallocate me a room but I won't be able to change it, although it will be my first choice. So I'm too worried to risk it incase I really don't like the one they reallocate me to, so as long as the location and everything is nice then that's ok :smile: What are the facilities like?

Don't worry about which hall you get put in, I've yet to meet anyone who doesn't like where they're living.
Facilities-wise, each hall has its own laundry, with about 6 washers and 6 driers (£1.40 for a wash, £1 for a dry, but they're massive so you can do like 2 weeks worth of laundry in one go) and irons and ironing boards. There are pantries, normally in each block, with microwaves, kettles, bins etc (no full kitchens in catered halls sadly). The JCR has sofas, a TV with sky, and normally a couple of pool tables and a ping-pong table. The bar is, well, a bar, with table football, pool, sofas and stuff (pints are about £2 in the hall bars). The rooms get cleaned every fortnight, but you have to take your own rubbish to the communal bins in the pantries.
Food is generally pretty good - if you're catered, you have breakfast and dinner in your hall and then for lunch you get £5.10 to spend in the restaurants and cafes on campus (some halls are open for lunch, there's cafes in the med school, libraries, engineering department, science block, then in the Portland building there's a massive food court with Starbucks, a pancake shop, Chinese, fried chicken, pizza and pasta, Carribean...). Portland building actually has loads of stuff - there's the SU shop, Boots, a beauty salon and hairdressers, a big bookshop, Costa, Santander and Natwest (with cashpoints!), a baguette bar...
Locationwise, none of the halls on Uni Park are terribly far away from anything. Sherwood, Rutland and Nightingale have the advantage for the gym, Hu Stu and Flo Bo are nearest Portland, Lenton is foreveralone on the other side of campus... :wink: Seriously though, I'm a medic and the med school is practically the furthest away faculty, and the closest hall is about 8 minutes walk and the furthest is about 20 :smile: Bring a bike if you can, there's cycle paths all through the campus and city and it's a really quick way to get around. Buses go everywhere - getting into the centre is a flat £1 fare on the 34, 35 or 36, all of which acually stop right on campus. If you need to go to Jubilee, there's a free hopper bus that goes every 10 minutes or so, but beware - it gets really busy at peak times!
EDIT - added photo, labelled everything that comes as standard in a single study, shared bathroom room (I share a bathroom and loo with 3 other people, works fine for me!). With the deluxe study, you get a double bed and a bigger room. With a deluxe shared bathroom, see above plus you only share a bathroom with 1 other person. The en-suite rooms have a shower and loo as well as the mini bathroom I have.
IMG_6821.JPG
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by euphful
Politics... You? Where you moving from? X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool, Chemistry here. From Rotherham so not too far hehe, you?
Reply 36
Applied for Broadgate Park ensuite

I would stick with your offer of a room in Rutland. If you have requested an ensuite room, the most likely halls to be allocated (based on the fact that they have the largest number) are Ancaster and Cavendish, both of which are fine, but a little bland. Rutlanders always seem very loyal to their hall :smile: It really is the people that make a hall a good place to be and there'll be a random selection of people in whichever hall you're in.
Reply 38
Original post by abzy1234
Same here! I didn't get a chance to look at it at the open days or the visit day, so meh, I'll wait in eager anticipation :tongue:

What course are you doing? :biggrin:

I didn't get to see it either, though I had a quick peek on Google :P

I'm doing English Lit and German! How about you?
Reply 39
Original post by Dslash
Cool, Chemistry here. From Rotherham so not too far hehe, you?

Ahhhh Worksop, so not far either! Lol in fact Worksop is closer to Rotherham than Nottingham :smile:... Well done on getting in, it's going to be great x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending