The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Original post by Cleo*
Hello,

Basically I have only done 2000 words of a 9000/ 10,000 word dissertation and it is due in 4 days.

I am freaking out a bit.

What should I do - stay up all night? Cheat?

My flatmate has offered me this 'smart drug' thing called modafinil (I think) which I have looked up and it actually looks like it might help.

Anyone got any experience of this?

Or ANY advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Get off tsr and focus on the dissertation at hand, have the usual sleep time and breaks, but focus on doing that piece, you can easily get more than half way through it by the end of tomorrow.
(edited 11 years ago)
Don't do the drug just try to write as much as you can.
You'd better get cracking then!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
Remember, caffeine is your friend.
Reply 5
[video="youtube;VCDnR6Px-co"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCDnR6Px-co[/video]
Reply 6
Don't take the drug. Whats wrong with you? What the hell have you been doing? I'm assuming you're in your final year?
Get off this site right now. RIGHT NOW. And do as much as you flipping can do right now. Then go to sleep.

Edit: what the eff do you mean 'cheat'? If it's a dissertation project I'm assuming that they will assess it for plagerism. Don't risk it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Do you know what you're writing? Done any research? If not...best of luck, I can do a 3000 word assignment in 3-4 days including research, don't think I could do 8000 as easily though.

Man and I felt bad having done only 5,200 words with 4 weeks to go (well 3 ideally, since I need some time to another 2k word essay).

But anyways personally I wouldn't take those pills, you don't want the chance you don't react so well to them and get too hyper to think straight or something.
Without meaning to alarm you, my housemate at uni did his in about 3 days and only just scraped a third.

Stop procrastinating; if you spent as much time on your dissertation as you did looking up this 'smart drug' imagine how much you could have written.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
If you've got all the prep done (reading, research etc) then 8000 words in 4 days is easy. 2000 words a day isn't exactly easy, but its very doable.

I wrote my 10,000 one in just under a week since I wrote it, read it, thought it was terrible, then re-wrote it - I had done all the prep etc, just had to put it together.

If you have done nothing.... oh dear.
Just cinch in and churn the ****er out, I hope for your sake there's no statistics or numbers in it. Aim to finish in three days and spend the last day checking it doesn't read like a crackpot Internet blog. With academia a large part of it is sounding like you know what you're talking about even if you don't so the final check is essential.
(edited 11 years ago)
Don't cheat or use the drug.

You need to write 1750 words a day. Try to think of each 1750 word section as an essay that you have one day/night to complete. Assuming you have done the research already that's not so bad as long as a) you work 10-13 hours a day (i.e. 8 hours of sleep and 3 hours of breaks gives you a maximum of 13 hours available), b) you cut off contact with everyone and c) you stock up on coffee.

Make sure you are consistent each day in achieving the 1750 words. It honestly is possible still to get a decent grade but you're going to have to put in some serious hours of high concentration.
Reply 12
Original post by ice cube
Don't take the drug. Whats wrong with you? What the hell have you been doing? I'm assuming you're in your final year?
Get off this site right now. RIGHT NOW. And do as much as you flipping can do right now. Then go to sleep.

Edit: what the eff do you mean 'cheat'? If it's a dissertation project I'm assuming that they will assess it for plagerism. Don't risk it.

WOW calm down, I only came on here for some advice, chill out.

As for "what the hell have you been doing?" ... there is actually a reason why this has happened. Don't be so quick to 'effing' ,as you put it, judge people; I haven't been sitting doing nothing, I have had NO time to do it.

Also before anyone says, I cannot ask for an extension as I would not be able to obtain the appropriate documents (as evidence, which is required at my uni).

Thanks to the others for the advice.
Reply 13
Original post by maskofsanity
Don't cheat or use the drug.

You need to write 1750 words a day. Try to think of each 1750 word section as an essay that you have one day/night to complete. Assuming you have done the research already that's not so bad as long as a) you work 10-13 hours a day (i.e. 8 hours of sleep and 3 hours of breaks gives you a maximum of 13 hours available), b) you cut off contact with everyone and c) you stock up on coffee.

Make sure you are consistent each day in achieving the 1750 words. It honestly is possible still to get a decent grade but you're going to have to put in some serious hours of high concentration.

Thanks, that doesn't sound so bad actually :P and yes I have spent the summer doing the research so I have everything here ... it's just putting it together!
Reply 14
Original post by linkdapink
If you've got all the prep done (reading, research etc) then 8000 words in 4 days is easy. 2000 words a day isn't exactly easy, but its very doable.

I wrote my 10,000 one in just under a week since I wrote it, read it, thought it was terrible, then re-wrote it - I had done all the prep etc, just had to put it together.

If you have done nothing.... oh dear.

Hi, thank you for that! No, I have done the work, it's just that something happened which meant I couldn't focus on my dissertation in the time that I had planned to.

Fingers crossed I will be okay... nothing like this has ever happened to me before so it was just a case of not knowing how to deal with/ organise other things (if that makes any sense!)
Reply 15
[QUOTE="Cleo*;41801432"]Hello,

Basically I have only done 2000 words of a 9000/ 10,000 word dissertation and it is due in 4 days.

I am freaking out a bit.

My flatmate has offered me this 'smart drug' thing called modafinil (I think) which I have looked up and it actually looks like it might help.

Or ANY advice would be much appreciated, thanks.[/QUOTE

Modafinil is helpful, but seriously dont take too much you get reallyyyyy bad mingrains.
Reply 16
Original post by Cleo*
Hello,

I am freaking out a bit.

Or ANY advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Don`t take some BS drug. Lock yourself in your room or library and crack on. It is possible. Coffee and hard work :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending