Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

M155 - Falklands Referendum Motion Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Regardless of the case for defending the Falklands, Mrs Thatcher seemed to take far too much satisfaction and pleasure during the war, not mourning those British soldiers and any Falkland Islanders who died.

The Falkland Islanders kept their British status, within a few years Argentina had democracy, and the British had another 15 years of rule by a right wing government.
    Or to phrase it another way, Britain has continued to be ruled by democratically elected representatives. Just because you don't like the government, doesn't mean it's undemocratic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    There is a debate forum.
    Well, I've tried to be polite and justify the motion, so if you've still got a problem, quit *****ing and take it up with the speaker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisawhitmore)
    Well, I've tried to be polite and justify the motion, so if you've still got a problem, quit *****ing and take it up with the speaker.
    I'm sorry, I didn't really mean to be rude.

My point is that 'stimulating debate' should not really be a justification for letting a motion through. That isn't what the HoC is for. If you want to debate the merits of the vote, do it in the appropriate place. This is where you should be calling on the HoC Government or a specific institution e.g.(M)UN or Argentinian Government to carry out a specific action. Calling on the international community to respect the wishes of the vote means almost nothing.

If the current generation of MPs like EDMs, my words are moot. I'm also biased because I spend a goo portion of my working day dealing with EDMs and it is depressing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hilly1)
    The Falklands legistititave house has aknowledged that they themselves on a slow transition from dependancy to independence. and I think calling it 'Thatcher's little vote winner' is REALLY disrespectful on all sides who lost troops. You should be ashamed.
    Thank you for telling me to be ashamed of myself, but I won't be. The Falklands war was engineered in the way it was by Thatcher to boost her public image and help win the following election.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Don't really care tbh. Abstain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mad Dog)
    Thank you for telling me to be ashamed of myself, but I won't be. The Falklands war was engineered in the way it was by Thatcher to boost her public image and help win the following election.
    I think you may be holding Thatcher in higher esteem than most of her supporters. While they do credit her with giving correct orders to the British troops, you seem to be crediting her with the ability to give orders to the Argentine junta and their troops.

ReputationRep:
    War Could have been avoided

I think you may be holding Thatcher in higher esteem than most of her supporters. While they do credit her with giving correct orders to the British troops, you seem to be crediting her with the ability to give orders to the Argentine junta and their troops.

ReputationRep:
    Did you even read your source? It states that the war could be avoided without mentioning why, presents a brief, biased and occasionally unintelligible rundown of the causes for the Argentine invasion of British soverign territory and then goes on to the sinking of the Belgrano, a matter of complete irrelevance to your claims.

Try harder, this is sub par even for the tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy *******s the internet usually produces.

ReputationRep:
    Did you even read your source? It states that the war could be avoided without mentioning why, presents a brief, biased and occasionally unintelligible rundown of the causes for the Argentine invasion of British soverign territory and then goes on to the sinking of the Belgrano, a matter of complete irrelevance to your claims.

Try harder, this is sub par even for the tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy *******s the internet usually produces.
    You completely missed the point didn't you. A thousand British troops did not die because of the Falklands war - they died because of Thatcher ordering the Belgrano be sinked. If Thatcher had not sunk the Belgrano the war could have been severely less deadly and the majority of it even prevented.

ReputationRep:
    In fairness, that isn't what you titled your embedded link
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Division! Clear the lobbies!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.