Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Suspicous Yahoo! Mail change password request Watch

ReputationRep:
    My email was hacked 2 days ago, but apart from lots of messages bouncing back to my inbox which had been sent to people on my contact list, no obvious further damage was done.

So I was in Yahoo! Mail this morning looking through some emails, and all of a sudden I get a pop up window message saying that recently my email security was breached blah blah, it is recommended to change your password.

Now, the URL was fine, and it looked like a genuine email, because ultimately my email WAS breached the other day, and I presumed this was just Yahoo! advising me to be more cautious now. I do believe the email was from Yahoo!.

However, in hindsight, have I just fallen for phishing?

Should I change my password again immediately?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    My email was hacked 2 days ago, but apart from lots of messages bouncing back to my inbox which had been sent to people on my contact list, no obvious further damage was done.

So I was in Yahoo! Mail this morning looking through some emails, and all of a sudden I get a pop up window message saying that recently my email security was breached blah blah, it is recommended to change your password.

Now, the URL was fine, and it looked like a genuine email, because ultimately my email WAS breached the other day, and I presumed this was just Yahoo! advising me to be more cautious now. I do believe the email was from Yahoo!.

However, in hindsight, have I just fallen for phishing?

Should I change my password again immediately?
    lolz, people never learn.

yes, change it immediately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    lolz, people never learn.

yes, change it immediately.
    How can you be sure it was phishing?

ReputationRep:
    I have just reset my password again, changed my security questions/answers to custom questions (not the selective ones), and also created a sign-in seal with my own custom image which will "secretly display on this laptop only to make sure I am on a genuine Yahoo! site". :rolleyes:

What a load of baloney. I have no faith left now in da interwebz.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    How can you be sure it was phishing?
    I'm sure yahoo doesn't directly message you via email to ask you to change your password.
    change it

ReputationRep:
    I looked at my recent log-in activity, too.

March 12, 2013, at 23.45hrs my account was accessed via Yahoo! Mobile from Slovakia. I should have known it would be from the Eastern Bloc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    I'm sure yahoo doesn't directly message you via email to ask you to change your password.
    change it
    I think my Date of Birth is public on Yahoo! Mail, and I cannot figure out how to make it private.

Does anyone know?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2013
Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.