Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

As a South Asian tourist, will I experience racism in England? Watch

ReputationRep:
    i know London, Manchester etc are very multiethnic and cosmopolitan so i'm not too worried about big cities. however, i am thinking about visiting some of the national parks which are usually located in rural areas with very little in the way of minority populations. i have heard that some rural and majority white populations in England can sometimes be racist or xenophobic against people of color, especially to those who "look" Pakistani or Muslim as i do. are my fears unfounded or should i be cautious? if it helps im thinking about visiting Eastbourne/brighton (to see beachy head/seven sisters/south downs national park), exmoor national park/cheddar gorge, so i guess the somerset area, and northumberland national park. thanks for your advice

i'm from Canada btw, not that it will matter all that much haha. i can always wear a Canada t-shirt?
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You will most likely be absolutely fine!
    Those people who are racist in our country are a minority, and even fewer of them are actually vocal about it. Most people in Britain very much disapprove of racism, so even those who may feel that way tend to keep it to themselves.
    If you were to hang around inner-city impoverished areas, you may be more likely to come across it; but in general you really shouldn't have a problem at all. The majority of those who are racist are also part of the older generation, and actually quite harmless.

The national parks are great places to visit, and most people around them are very welcoming and friendly.

ReputationRep:
    There are separate restrooms for South Asian people. Just thought I'd warn you.

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to stop reading whatever newspaper it is that you read. :rolleyes: I can't imagine you'll encounter anything worse than apathy. These things may have been true decades ago but we've all moved on since then. Although Cornwall is a bit funny to be fair...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baddoctor)
    i know London, Manchester etc are very multiethnic and cosmopolitan so i'm not too worried about big cities. however, i am thinking about visiting some of the national parks which are usually located in rural areas with very little in the way of minority populations. i have heard that some rural and majority white populations in England can sometimes be racist or xenophobic against people of color, especially to those who "look" Pakistani or Muslim as i do. are my fears unfounded or should i be cautious? if it helps im thinking about visiting Eastbourne/brighton (to see beachy head/seven sisters/south downs national park), exmoor national park/cheddar gorge, so i guess the somerset area, and northumberland national park. thanks for your advice

i'm from Canada btw, not that it will matter all that much haha. i can always wear a Canada t-shirt?
    I highly doubt that you'll get any trouble.

Racism exists in pretty much every country, so of course there are a few in the UK. That being said, these few are not representative of the population, and most of those who do hold racist views probably wouldn't hassle you simply for existing, even if you are in a majority white area.

Having been to brighton, you'll be fine, although I can't speak to exmoor.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt if you'll experience any racism especially as a tourist.

(Original post by perfectsymbology)
    Hahaha, this isnt america.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perfectsymbology)
    oh dear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baddoctor)

I used to live in Eastbourne, grew up and went to school there for 14 years before I moved to London. You've got nothing to worry about, I rarely experienced racism during the years I've lived there and most of my father's side still live there and have never had a problem. There are a growing number of south asian and black people moving into the area, so you'll be fine. Brighton is probably more 'multicultural' than Eastbourne, so you've probably a lesser chance of being seen as odd when visiting the area.

Enjoy your stay in the UK

ReputationRep:
    There are racist people in the UK, yes. Though, it usually depends what area you go into.

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine! I'm Asian and I come from London, but I have been on holiday quite a few times in Kent where my family was the only coloured family there! Most people are really nice, you may get a few looks especially if you're the only coloured person there, but mainly out of curiosity than racism. Racism exists but usually less than you think.

ReputationRep:
    If you actively seek racism, you might just find it.

Having said that, I'm oblivious to skin colour, so racism hasn't really had a place in my sphere of existence. It just isn't a factor in my life.

I highly doubt you'll encounter racism. There are many other parts of Europe and certainly the United States where racism is rife on all sides. Don't be fooled into thinking that it is only Anglo-Saxons that are racist! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Short answer- no.

Long answer- racists are pretty rare in the UK. I have never seen active racism before in my 17 years of being in the UK. Of course, there is prejudice but it is a small minority and they are seen as stupid by the majority of Brits.

The main reason for prejudice towards ethnic minorities here from some people is the whole 'they come here and take our jobs!' Etc. However, nobody will care if they see a coloured person walking down the street.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.