Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

International students and their obsession with UK Universities Watch

ReputationRep:
    As an international student (Thai) applying for Medicine in the UK I have my reasons:

- I'm fully bilingual, but I prefer writing and working in English - already, this limits my choices to UK, US, Canada and Australia as I want to be in an environment where I would not have to struggle with language barriers.

- My school is an asian branch of Harrow UK and it follows the British curriculum (I took IGCSEs and am taking A-levels) - thus, UK universities seem like a good, cohesive way to continue my education.

- Any university in the UK offering a course in Medicine would be of a higher standard than any international Medical course I can find in my own country.

- Unlike USA and Canada, the UK offers Undergraduate Medicine. I would be studying four years less than in the aforementioned countries.

- I find the UK, as a country in general, beautiful. I like the architecture, the scenery, the changes in the weather. Also, shopping there have always been incredibly fun.

I wouldn't say international students are "obsessed" with UK universities. In my case, at least, I think it's the most suitable place for me and that's why I applied there. Many of my friends would say the same.

ReputationRep:
    The poor buggers are being sold absolute snake oil by the marketing departments of universities. Of course they don't know the difference between, say, Manchester and Man Met.

I suspect that they tend to go to those universities which have outreached into their various spheres, like say you are currently at a Chinese university which has links with MMU they will go to MMU for a year or two without a second thought.

I agree with the assessment that our degrees are pretty good value for money. You get a fair proportion of the prestige of an American university at a fraction of the cost. And by comparison the free universities on the Continent are a total waste of time, and that's assuming they teach in English.

ReputationRep:
    So kka, the argument over statistics aside, you don't agree with my point that MMU (and other former polytechnics) does have outstanding areas and that international students, particularly research postgraduates, are attracted to this?

All I want is just a sensible discussion about the issues you raised (ie. the reason why you created this thread).

(Original post by scrotgrot)
    The poor buggers are being sold absolute snake oil by the marketing departments of universities. Of course they don't know the difference between, say, Manchester and Man Met.
    I think that is a bit patronising.

What makes you think they don't know the difference between University of Manchester and MMU? They aren't stupid. They have access to the Internet. They have access to league tables (including international league tables).

ReputationRep:
    As an international student applying to the UK, here is my reason-
    It's easier to get into Oxford or Cambridge than an average university here and that 1 reason is enough to overlook the cons of it!
    Ps-
    1. I'm not doing it for the posh British accent like someone claimed above
    2. Uni in the UK is a lot more expensive compared to state-run universities here. Private universities are almost as expensive, but affordable
    3. Locally acquired degrees are more valued when it comes to employment prospects but its a super-competitive which makes it easier to apply abroad
    4. Exams like the LNAT are a lot easier than their equivalents here.

I thought you all must hear it from an international student before getting into a heated debate about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    And by comparison the free universities on the Continent are a total waste of time, and that's assuming they teach in English.
    I don't know about other third-world countries, but ALL degrees in India are taught in English unless it is a degree in a specific language.

Ps- International students aren't poor buggers and all of them don't get influenced by the 'snake oil' that you say some universities sell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BioBio)
    . The only positive about having to to pay such high fees in the UK - paying fees in other countries is not the big deal it used to be. The world has become our oyster these days!
    Really? Only for people with rich parents. The fees and living costs may be the same in another country but you can only get the tuition fee and maintenance loans and grants if you stay in the UK. For me, the UK would still be the only option, and the loans are not that bad because you only start paying them back when you get a job and earn a certain amount.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)

Why pay such extravagant international fees (you can buy a house with those fees! :eek:) if they are planning to study in a pretty much unknown university worldwide? :confused:
    I'm sure their own local universities quality suppress these universities.
    An ok 1 bedroom apartment in central Moscow would go for £600-700k in a single day. What houses are you talking about, exactly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shruti2)
    It's easier to get into Oxford or Cambridge than an average university here.....Locally acquired degrees are more valued when it comes to employment prospects but its a super-competitive which makes it easier to apply abroad
    very interesting, i even read about the same thing in NYTimes,
    but looking at the fact that india's university are not (yet?) in 100 list of times higher education ranking eventhough its v.difficult to get in, do you think there are biases in the ranking?

happy to see that indian employers prefer indian univs over oxbridge or hardyale

china, singapore, japan are the only asians in the list

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moronz)
    but looking at the fact that india's university are not (yet?) in 100 list of times higher education ranking eventhough its v.difficult to get in, do you think there are biases in the ranking?

happy to see that indian employers prefer indian univs over oxbridge or hardyale

Well, China, Japan and Singapore have recognized affiliations with major unis abroad which may help them in terms of a high ranking and prestige. Here, there aren't many universities which have tie-ups with foreign universities which makes them relatively unknown. The irony of things is that I'm studying under an educational board founded by Cambridge which has higher standards of learning etc. but Cambridge doesn't think we're eligible to apply for an undergraduate degree!
    The thing is, if you have an MBA from Harvard, a degree from MIT or an MBBS from Oxford, you're the IT thing. On the other hand, you may end up homeless with a degree in Anthropology or Psychology even if its from Oxbridge. It's sad actually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpha510)
    I did. He said "international students" are obsessed and only talked of China.
    That, is a blunt exaggeration.
    I believe that is what people call an example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moronz)

well the league table methodologies seem to be to get academics to rate other unis so I'd not be suprised if countries with a lot of universities eg usa naturally formed internal 'rep rings' because that's the education system those academics are most familiar with and where most of the people (s)he meets at conferences have come from.

Dunno how seriously academics recieving these questionaires take filling them out, presumably they already have more than enough work to be getting on with already. They might not be giving a large amount of thought to filling them out...

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.