Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Samsung Galaxy S4 Discussion Thread Watch

• Reporter Team

ReputationRep:

One of the most anticipated events in the smartphone calendar finally arrives tonight, when Samsung will announce the latest flagship in their popular Galaxy line. I'll be covering the announcement as it happens and updating this post from right now!.

So, are you guys looking forward to whatever Samsung bring to the game? What are you hoping to see? Have you been holding off purchasing a new phone for this fateful day? Get discussing below!

News from the Event

* Lots of feature names being flung around, confirming rumours like eye tracking and "contactless touch". More info when they get properly covered in the keynote.
    * Surprise surprise, the new product is confirmed to be the Samsung Galaxy S4.
    * Confirmed to be a 4G device (unsurprisingly), launching in April.
    * Sounds like it's running a new version of Touchwiz.
    * It has an infrared blaster, a lá HTC One
    * Temperature and humidity centres, just what we were hoping for!
    * Dual camera mode; primary video/picture capture with the rear cam whilst simultaneously recording yourself with the front one. There's also something called Sound Shot, where videos are accompanied by a short sound clip.
    *Drama shot and Eraser are more new camera features. Drama Shot takes a mass of frames and overlays them for a sort of time-lapse effect, whilst Eraser is just that- a Photoshop style eraser tool.
    * New translation software, type out a message in English and it reads it out in one of nine languages, and then listens to the response and writes it back out to you. Photo translation will do text for you.
    * Adapt Display controls screen settings depending on environment and whatever task you're doing at the time.
    *Album creation software lets you pick templates and stuff then dump all your photos/videos into it and add tags to them. Physical photobooks can be bought in-app.
    * HomeSync chucks content taken on your phone into the cloud which can be accessed for multiple users.
    * S Voice Drive is updated S Voice with larger fonts and things to optimise use in-car.
    * Smart Switch allows complete transfer of data from your old smartphonephone to your S4.
    * Some sort of wizardry lets you use the phone with gloves.
    * Samsung Hub is a consolidated location for getting hold of media by the sounds of it.
    * Samsung Knox is a new security system that also allows you to separate work and personal content.
    * Group Play allows multiple phones to share music between phones and set up "surround sound" configurations. Music can be spread from phones via NFC.
    * Dual Camera also works with video chatting.
    * Air Gesture is the feature that allows you to perform actions without touching it (Sounds like it does have its limitations), and Smart Stay tracks eye movement to pause/play stuff.
    * S Health is a fitness system that gathers information on all sorts of stuff, ranging from acting as a pedometer to heart rate. There's going to be accessories for measuring things like blood sugar.
    * S Cover has a little window for displaying information without having to open up the phone.

Specs List:

OS Android 4.2.2 with Touchwiz
    Dimensions 136.6mm x 69.8mm x 7.9mm, 130g
    Network 4G LTE
    Display 5" 1080p Super AMOLED display (441 ppi)
    Cameras 13MP Rear, 2MP Front
    RAM 2GB
    Storage 16/32GB/64GB, MicroSD expansion
    Battery 2600mh (removable)

ReputationRep:
    I guess bigger than s3 :L
    • TSR Community Team
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Have they said any more about the eye-tracking tech that was rumoured for this? The idea being that you could scroll web pages etc simply by looking at the relevant part of the screen. That would be interesting, although to be honest I'd consider it's biggest selling point to be its power and usability. I remember Samsung making a big deal about the S3's voice control at launch, and the feature turned out to be utterly useless. Features like that make for an interesting presentation, but they don't change the way regular people use phones.
    • TSR Community Team
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeterminate)
    When will Samsung stop making big and clumsy devices? I guess I'll never know

It's one of the several reasons why I'm happy with my iPhone 5, and waiting for the next in the series.
    I had the S3 for about six months and - although it is big - it doesn't feel clumsy. The slimness of it means the screen size doesn't feel over-the-top - and it is awesome if you use the web a lot on your mobile.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shooks)
    Have they said any more about the eye-tracking tech that was rumoured for this? The idea being that you could scroll web pages etc simply by looking at the relevant part of the screen. That would be interesting, although to be honest I'd consider it's biggest selling point to be its power and usability. I remember Samsung making a big deal about the S3's voice control at launch, and the feature turned out to be utterly useless. Features like that make for an interesting presentation, but they don't change the way regular people use phones.
    No more word on the eye tracking software yet, although it does sound interesting. I expect Samsung will really go to town specs-wise on this thing, they were showing off the octa-core CPU at MWC earlier this year and while that concept might not make it into this iteration (Although it may well do) they're obviously putting a big focus on staying ahead in the proverbial arms race of specs. I'd much rather they invested more time into the sort of features you've mentioned that improve usability.

(Original post by Indeterminate)
    When will Samsung stop making big and clumsy devices? I guess I'll never know

It's one of the several reasons why I'm happy with my iPhone 5, and waiting for the next in the series.
    I can see why iPhone users don't like the size of recent smartphones, I've only just been won around to 4.7" displays and I'd still much rather manufacturers built them closer to the size of the 4.2" Galaxy S2. But it seems this is the direction the market is moving in and Samsung are just fulfilling that demand.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't resist and went for the One X+.

I wasn't gonna wait longer for this.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    More videos of this phone coming from Asia, can be seen on The Verge.

I've never liked the aesthetic of the Galaxy phones, they look very cheap and plasticky.

Also I think the new features are extremely naff. The eye tracking seems to be mainly used to pause videos when the phone can't see your eyes, hover finger is just a novelty, it serves no purpose other than inaccurate navigation.

The UI also looks a bit laggy (apparently always a problem with Galaxy devices), especially when locking/unlocking the phone.
    I've never really been a fan of Samsung's build quality either, nothing really wrong with it but I prefer the more solid, weighty feel of phones from the likes of HTC and Apple. Inspires a little more confidence in me somehow.

I haven't heard anything about hover finger, do tell :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    It looks way too big for sure. I might just stick to my iPhone.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    The screen works from off the screen.

Second video here: http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/14/41...-s4-video-leak
    Don't think I could use that :no: I'm sure those with a phobia of fingerprints could get behind the idea though!

ReputationRep:
    what time is the announcement? is there gonna be a live coverage?
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by study beats)
    what time is the announcement? is there gonna be a live coverage?
    11pm, I think they're streaming it live on YouTube :yep:

ReputationRep:
    yeah size puts me off, why isn't there a top range iphone sized android phone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack93o)
    yeah size puts me off, why isn't there a top range iphone sized android phone?
    There is but the're all in China.

Meizu MX2, Xiaomi Mi 2, Huawei Honor 2 etc...

They are around 4.3"-4.5" screen size, but physically the same size as an iPhone, and much much much better spec than the iPhone 5.

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty, despite having been a fan of Samsung in the past I've completely lost interest as of late. I find their design utterly uninspired, their inability to push out the latest updates frustrating and touchwiz is just completely unforgivable. I like that Samsung has finally brought Android into the mainstream to a point where people are actually recognising an Android phone within the frame of public consciousness, but they just haven't improved in the most important area for me: design and interface.

To put it bluntly; I'm sick of flimsy plastic. If I'm going to spend £500+ on the latest smartphone I expect it to be made out of premium grade materials and a flimsy plastic back although useful, doesn't cut it for me any more. Aluminium, "VaporMg" or Polycarbonate, just anything but plastic. From my experience both with an S2 and an S3, even with Jellybean, touchwiz makes the phone feel slow and cheap. I don't need droplet noises, I don't need fade out animations, I don't need pictures of dandelions. All together, it's just unforgivable at this pricepoint.

The S4 will undoubtedly have the crap marketed out of it alongside a host of impressive internal specs. It will also be objectively a great phone. But for all its follies, I can't justify it. I've been won over by the HTC One despite not liking the skin (though at least its more sensible now). The robust design of the One reflects the price and is generally what a non-nexus device at the highend spectrum should be. If only HTC gave the option for stock firmware, I'd probably never consider a Galaxy device again.

Samsung really will need to pull something out of the bag to capture my eye and that means more than just adding a few useless features and a powerful processor.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    There is but the're all in China.

Meizu MX2, Xiaomi Mi 2, Huawei Honor 2 etc...

They are around 4.3"-4.5" screen size, but physically the same size as an iPhone, and much much much better spec than the iPhone 5.
    I would buy a Meizu MX-4 if it came to the UK at a decent price just for its well implemented digital audio output :coma:
    /audiophile

ReputationRep:
    How much will this phone be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    In all honesty, despite having been a fan of Samsung in the past I've completely lost interest as of late. I find their design utterly uninspired, their inability to push put the latest updates frustrating and touchwiz is just completely unforgivable. I like that Samsung has finally brought Android into the mainstream to a point where people are actually recognising an Android phone within the frame of public consciousness, but they just haven't improved in the most important area for me: design and interface.

To put it bluntly; I'm sick of flimsy plastic. If I'm going to spend £500+ on the latest smartphone I expect it to be made out of premium grade materials and a flimsy plastic back although useful, doesn't cut it for me any more. Aluminium, "VaporMg" or Polycarbonate, just anything but plastic. From my experience both with an S2 and an S3, even with Jellybean, touchwiz makes the phone feel slow and cheap. I don't need droplet noises, I don't need fade out animations, I don't need pictures of dandelions. All together, it's just unforgivable at this pricepoint.

The S4 will undoubtedly have the crap marketed out of it alongside a host of impressive internal specs. It will also be objectively a great phone. But for all its follies, I can't justify it. I've been won over by the HTC One despite not liking the skin (though at least its more sensible now). The robust design of the One reflects the price and is generally what a non-nexus device at the highend spectrum should be. If only HTC gave the option for stock firmware, I'd probably never consider a Galaxy device again.

Samsung really will need to pull something out of the bag to capture my eye and that means more than just adding a few useless features and a powerful processor.
    I know what you mean, Samsung design isn't amazing and they do talk up their phones like they're the best thing ever. But they have come a long way to be the worlds best selling manufacturer. Sure i don't agree with everything they've done (especially the rehashing of old handsets) but what they've done has allowed them to grow into the company they are today.

And to be honest Samsung aren't that bad with updates, if you compare to Sony or LG or a few other OEM's then Samsung look like they're the best for android updates. Sure the touchwiz skin isn't great but it's tailored towards more of an "Apple" audience. Besides you can always install another launcher on the phone or an entirely different rom.

Yeh Samsung could use better quality materials to build the phone but i have to admit their quality control is amazing. I rarely see high end Samsungs go wrong or have common faults compared to other brands like HTC. There is a reason why Samsung are selling more and it's pretty evident why.

Also another reason Samsung are doing well is because they haven't conformed to other manufactures who don't have removable batteries or Micro SD support in their phones. But i do agree that Samsung do just overhype some of their gimmicks a bit like apple did. But it works for Samsungs and tbh i'd rather have those small gimmicks than not have them. Especially when the specs back up the phone.

So i wish Samsung the best success with the future, at the moment they're killing it in the TV/phone/others market and thats great for them.

I hope HTC can get back on their feet as well but tbh everythings not looking good for them, especially now that the HTC One has been delayed, and also the fact that there are already quality control issues.

@gofre, could always import it, i've been doing it for a while now. But tbh it's a bit old now so i'd wait for the new lot of phones to come out before making a decision.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingsley simba)
    How much will this phone be?
    Probably about £450-£500, the S3 launched at £499 so expect it within that same ballpark.

ReputationRep:
    I plan to buy it as an upgrade to my S2. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    Also another reason Samsung are doing well is because they haven't conformed to other manufactures who don't have removable batteries or Micro SD support in their phones.
    :yes: That's one of the main reasons I'm sticking with Samsung (I also like the physical home button).

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.