Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanvyj)
    My concern would be power efficiency. I doubt I'm ever going to need more than 4 cores... my laptop only has 4 cores and its a friggin i7! There isn't any point in more. What in the world does a phone need that much parralel processing for (I doubt any imaginable apps/current software would use it to its full advantage anyway!)? Bear in mind cores =/= power. The rest of the technology needs to catch up.

Like the battery life. I'd happily pick the 4 core over the 8 core if it lasts longer.

Looks like its going to be a choice between note 2 and s4 for me...
    Hmm if I were you I would go for the s4. Its a next gen quad core so more power, as well as increased efficiency. But if you like screen real estate go for the note 2. Ohh in i7! Damn! Must be bloody fast, im gettin a 14 inch laptop probably with a i3 processor, or might puah the budget to an i5, pricey thoo, how much did your laptop cost you?

ReputationRep:
    My concern would be power efficiency. I doubt I'm ever going to need more than 4 cores... my laptop only has 4 cores and its a friggin i7! There isn't any point in more. What in the world does a phone need that much parralel processing for (I doubt any imaginable apps/current software would use it to its full advantage anyway!)? Bear in mind cores =/= power. The rest of the technology needs to catch up.

Like the battery life. I'd happily pick the 4 core over the 8 core if it lasts longer.

Looks like its going to be a choice between note 2 and s4 for me...
    You honestly can't compare a quad core i7 with a phones quad core processor, just like with the new 8 cores. The power isn't anything like a desktop CPU.

The phone has to do more than you think. Having more cores however low in power means that tasks can get broken up more efficently with no lag. Something we now take for granted.

No doubt cores can be switched off when not in use etc too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kage)
    You honestly can't compare a quad core i7 with a phones quad core processor, just like with the new 8 cores. The power isn't anything like a desktop CPU.

The phone has to do more than you think. Having more cores however low in power means that tasks can get broken up more efficently with no lag. Something we now take for granted.

No doubt cores can be switched off when not in use etc too
    Of course desktops are more powerful, what I'm saying is - regarding multitasking - cores aren't all that good... It depends a lot on the architecture. If samsung have put a lot of investment into getting things like power saving from switching them off, then sure it sounds like a good idea - but can they not do that with 4 cores?

It just screams marketing gimmick to me.

I do lots more on my work laptop (at the moment I have facebook along with about 40 other IE tabs, outlook, word, 8 excel workbooks, 3 calculators that I've opened and then forgotten to close, visual studio and a couple of note pads lol) on two cores.

I suppose it depends on how they use it, and whether they really put some money into developing the architecture to support it - otherwise you are paying and powering something you really don't need unless you play some hardcore games on your phone all the time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucky20)
    Hmm if I were you I would go for the s4. Its a next gen quad core so more power, as well as increased efficiency. But if you like screen real estate go for the note 2. Ohh in i7! Damn! Must be bloody fast, im gettin a 14 inch laptop probably with a i3 processor, or might puah the budget to an i5, pricey thoo, how much did your laptop cost you?
    I think the battery life is the thing that will swing it for me, but I think the note may just be a little too big lol. I hate my current S2 limping along till the end of work if I'm lucky. 8 hours woo

I got a laptop from Dell 3 years ago with an i7 and a half decent graphics card, being dell it was cheap and cheerful at about £700 with 4 years warranty.

Got burgled 2 years ago and they nicked it, replaced it with a Sony Vaio, similar spec first generation i7 - costs about 1-1.2k but it was through the insurance. Thought I got a good deal with it (past Vaios I've had have been bullet proof) but turns out its been a bit of a hassle. Can't unplug it at the moment because it doesn't register a battery but it limps along...

I'm putting off buying anything new cos I put most my money into my car nowadays (new laptop vs new engine...)

If you play games, go i5. But there really isn't much point in getting an i5 if you don't go for a dedicated (half decent) graphics card too - thats when laptops really get difficult to find. Beware really top end decent spec laptops just not having any graphics capability at all.

If you arn't going to be playing games and are not getting dedicated graphics an i3 will probably serve your purposes fine. The wife has a 14 inch i3 samsung and its really good (except the keyboard has just broken *sigh* they really don't make these things to last...)

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why people are complaining about getting a Quad core over an Oct core...

There is virtually no difference.

ReputationRep:
    Of course desktops are more powerful, what I'm saying is - regarding multitasking - cores aren't all that good... It depends a lot on the architecture. If samsung have put a lot of investment into getting things like power saving from switching them off, then sure it sounds like a good idea - but can they not do that with 4 cores?

It just screams marketing gimmick to me.

I do lots more on my work laptop (at the moment I have facebook along with about 40 other IE tabs, outlook, word, 8 excel workbooks, 3 calculators that I've opened and then forgotten to close, visual studio and a couple of note pads lol) on two cores.

I suppose it depends on how they use it, and whether they really put some money into developing the architecture to support it - otherwise you are paying and powering something you really don't need unless you play some hardcore games on your phone all the time
    True, but I think basically they scale down the mhz in each core, but provide more cores, so its more efficent than say having 1 core doing all the work. Branching out in to 4 or 8 slower cores, isn't as bad as you think.

ReputationRep:
    Whos gettin the new s4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucky20)
    Whos gettin the new s4

Not sure, help needed - iPhone 5 or S4? Big disadvantage for me is Android, though of course the S4 does seem better in comparison, based on figures and features.

Opinions needed!

ReputationRep:
    I was set on getting the S4 but after seeing the price I'm really unsure as I have to buy it sim free. I've had two HTC's now and I'm tired of the battery life and that they don't seem to function well past 1,5 years, so I'm not too sure if I'm going to get the One either. Any ideas? :/
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skriblerier)
    I was set on getting the S4 but after seeing the price I'm really unsure as I have to buy it sim free. I've had two HTC's now and I'm tired of the battery life and that they don't seem to function well past 1,5 years, so I'm not too sure if I'm going to get the One either. Any ideas? :/
    S4 vs HTC One is the choice that I'm weighing up. Unless there's any immediate urgency (or *really* good deal comes up in the meantime), I'd suggest waiting until the launch at the end of April before trying to make a final decision - that way there should be some reviews to help you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skriblerier)
    Wait till the S4 is off pre order. The price will drop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    Wait till the S4 is off pre order. The price will drop.
    Completely agree. I got a great deal with the S2 a month after it came out which was just over a hundred cheaper than the pre order my uncle got.

ReputationRep:
    I have the HTC one on pre order, hopefully get it in a few days. Not sure if I actually want it as I originally wanted the S3, but Vodafone offered me a ridiculously good deal so I couldn't say no.

I am already thinking of selling it on eBay and getting an S4, really don't like that the HTC doesn't have a removable battery or SD card... and that I am bored of HTC sense after 2 years...

Decisions, decisions...
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salander)
    I have the HTC one on pre order, hopefully get it in a few days. Not sure if I actually want it as I originally wanted the S3, but Vodafone offered me a ridiculously good deal so I couldn't say no.

I am already thinking of selling it on eBay and getting an S4, really don't like that the HTC doesn't have a removable battery or SD card... and that I am bored of HTC sense after 2 years...

Decisions, decisions...
    How good a deal did you manage to get from Vodafone? It could make a useful comparison for others dealing with retention teams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    How good a deal did you manage to get from Vodafone? It could make a useful comparison for others dealing with retention teams.
    Oh yeah, good point.

Free HTC One
    24 month contract
    £21 per month
    Unlimited calls and texts and 2gb data

I also managed to get a sure signal box worth £100 for free as well, I think Vodafone have a deal with HTC as a few people on the money saving expert forums got a similar deal...
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, good point.

Free HTC One
    24 month contract
    £21 per month

I also managed to get a sure signal box worth £100 for free as well, I think Vodafone have a deal with HTC as a few people on the money saving expert forums got a similar deal...
    Indeed, that's pretty good. :yep: Thanks for sharing that. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, good point.

Free HTC One
    24 month contract
    £21 per month

:eek:

I'd have asked for 2 at that price!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaurenAB)
    Not sure, help needed - iPhone 5 or S4? Big disadvantage for me is Android, though of course the S4 does seem better in comparison, based on figures and features.

Opinions needed!
    Same dilemma, upgrading on friday, need some urgent advice iphone 5 or s4? Got my mind set on the iphone 5 however my next dilemma is 1gb of 4gee or unlimited 3g??? Help asap people!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaTrillDeal)
    Same dilemma, upgrading on friday, need some urgent advice iphone 5 or s4? Got my mind set on the iphone 5 however my next dilemma is 1gb of 4gee or unlimited 3g??? Help asap people!!!!
    Why not go with Three. They'll be offering unlimited 3G/4G and tethering cheaper than both the contracts above^

Phone is up to you. Tbh the S4 blows away the iPhone 5 but at the end of the day it depends if you want to stick with apple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    Why not go with Three. They'll be offering unlimited 3G/4G and tethering cheaper than both the contracts above^

Phone is up to you. Tbh the S4 blows away the iPhone 5 but at the end of the day it depends if you want to stick with apple.
    Blows it away you say, hmm, you have just made my decision that much harder however in regards to your three recommendation, how comes they have a unknown reputation and do they offer the full monty price plan???

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.