Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'm still annoyed when people bring up that the HTC one has a better screen. It's not noticeable.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F_shakeey)
    I'm still annoyed when people bring up that the HTC one has a better screen. It's not noticeable.
    It's just a very slight difference in pixel density but the same resolution IIRC, given that the HTC One has a slightly smaller screen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    It's just a very slight difference in pixel density but the same resolution IIRC, given that the HTC One has a slightly smaller screen?
    Yeah it's not noticeable if you compared the two. Therefore in reality it's not really a major pro over S4 unless you want bragging rights.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I think this is one aspect Apple hit the nail on the head with with their retina display- past a certain density, pixel count becomes meaningless. In standard usage it's bloody difficult to distinguish individual pixels on most high end phones, whether that's the iPhone 5, the ~720p Nexus 4 or the 1080p behemoths permeating the market. I'd much prefer manufacturers put more emphasis on making display quality better or cheaper, rather than competing in a superfluous specs war.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F_shakeey)
    I'm still annoyed when people bring up that the HTC one has a better screen. It's not noticeable
    I agree the difference isn't huge (I actually prefer amoled screens myself as they don't hurt my eyes lol), but phone arena did a very extensive comparison of the S4 screen with the htc one, iphone5, lumia920, and xperia z.

They said the s4 screen has clearly improved over the s3, but it still has room for improvement to match the class leader htc one.

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Sc...mia-920_id3286

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markuk99)
    I agree the difference isn't huge (I actually prefer amoled screens myself as they don't hurt my eyes lol), but phone arena did a very extensive comparison of the S4 screen with the htc one, iphone5, lumia920, and xperia z.

They said the s4 screen has clearly improved over the s3, but it still has room for improvement to match the class leader htc one.

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Sc...mia-920_id3286

And yet GSM Arena say the opposite.

But that's not important. They're both great screens with different advantages.

ReputationRep:
    A very brief unboxing video of the US version:

ReputationRep:
    Been reading many artiicles saying the S4 will be released a day later on the 27th. Is this true or only on the PAYG models cause on the website that offer it on contract i.e.Three or CPWH say its being released on 26th.

Not really fussy if it is a day late, but I need to know what day I need to stay in for the delivery.

ReputationRep:
    Ive pre ordered the s4 from vodafone, will i get it on friday or sat or ill have to wait for sometime?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xamanus)
    Ive pre ordered the s4 from vodafone, will i get it on friday or sat or ill have to wait for sometime?
    How long ago did you pre order it? I know for the first few weeks of April it was 99% sure you'd get it on the 26th, but now there is a 1-2 week wait. Best ringing them to find out tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bexl24)
    How long ago did you pre order it? I know for the first few weeks of April it was 99% sure you'd get it on the 26th, but now there is a 1-2 week wait. Best ringing them to find out tbh
    Last week

Edit- Just got message: Samsung has stock problem so I will get the phone 1-2 weeks late

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    I think this is one aspect Apple hit the nail on the head with with their retina display- past a certain density, pixel count becomes meaningless. In standard usage it's bloody difficult to distinguish individual pixels on most high end phones, whether that's the iPhone 5, the ~720p Nexus 4 or the 1080p behemoths permeating the market. I'd much prefer manufacturers put more emphasis on making display quality better or cheaper, rather than competing in a superfluous specs war.
    TBH, I think that mobe screens should now stick with 1080p. Native Full HD content is a wonderful thing to be able to watch. Once H.265 makes it on to mobile, 1080p screens will be absolutely perfect for mobile devices.

Not for one second would I want any more resolution though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xamanus)
    Last week

Edit- Just got message: Samsung has stock problem so I will get the phone 1-2 weeks late
    There was a delay when the s3 launched too! I'm sure it will be worth your wait

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    TBH, I think that mobe screens should now stick with 1080p. Native Full HD content is a wonderful thing to be able to watch. Once H.265 makes it on to mobile, 1080p screens will be absolutely perfect for mobile devices.

Not for one second would I want any more resolution though.

What i don't understand is why i can buy a 1080p smartphone in the UK under £500. (Under £200 in China) yet i can't buy a laptop with a 1080p screen without spending over £800.

I'm sure we'll be having 2560x1440 screens on mobiles before 1080p becomes mainstream on laptops.

ReputationRep:
    It seems I'm one of the lucky ones receiving it tomorrow; I just got the delivery confirmation text.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whyumadtho)
    It seems I'm one of the lucky ones receiving it tomorrow; I just got the delivery confirmation text.
    Very nice! :teeth: Report back if you get the chance.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    After a lot of deliberation, opted for the HTC One in the end...and I don't regret it in the slightest. It's absolutely amazing!

ReputationRep:
    First impressions: the box feels a lot cheaper than the Galaxy S2 (due to the recyclable materials), the back appears far more silvery than it does in pictures (particularly at an angle; head-on it looks quite bluish), the front looks black/dark blue depending on the light, and the size is nice. I'm waiting for my screen protector to arrive before turning it on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    What i don't understand is why i can buy a 1080p smartphone in the UK under £500. (Under £200 in China) yet i can't buy a laptop with a 1080p screen without spending over £800.

I'm sure we'll be having 2560x1440 screens on mobiles before 1080p becomes mainstream on laptops.
    That does baffle me too!

ReputationRep:
    It's having a mobile network problem,the network drops, wont work in auto mode, we should use in GSM mode.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.