Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    ****. Royal Mail didn't deliver my screen protectors and I couldn't wait any longer.

...The screen is absolutely incredible. :eek: It's something you'll have to see in real life to appreciate. The vibration is also very nice. It feels less forceful than the S2 and has more subtlety about it.

The back is a huge fingerprint magnet and I don't know if it's just my device, but the back cover seems slightly too big for the phone and scratches my little finger when I hold it. :erm: I'll need to get a case.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    PAC code requested from O2 and received... how long until I get a call from retentions, I wonder? :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    I think this is one aspect Apple hit the nail on the head with with their retina display- past a certain density, pixel count becomes meaningless. In standard usage it's bloody difficult to distinguish individual pixels on most high end phones, whether that's the iPhone 5, the ~720p Nexus 4 or the 1080p behemoths permeating the market. I'd much prefer manufacturers put more emphasis on making display quality better or cheaper, rather than competing in a superfluous specs war.
    I agree with your last point. But I still think 'retina display' is just a gizmo gimmick! A way for Apple to brainwash people to think their 'display technology' is revolutionary which is not!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whyumadtho)
    ****. Royal Mail didn't deliver my screen protectors and I couldn't wait any longer.

...The screen is absolutely incredible. :eek: It's something you'll have to see in real life to appreciate. The vibration is also very nice. It feels less forceful than the S2 and has more subtlety about it.

The back is a huge fingerprint magnet and I don't know if it's just my device, but the back cover seems slightly too big for the phone and scratches my little finger when I hold it. :erm: I'll need to get a case.
    I've heard some very positive things about the screen. Can't wait to see it myself and see if it lives up to the reputation.

(Original post by kidomo)
    I agree with your last point. But I still think 'retina display' is just a gizmo gimmick! A way for Apple to brainwash people to think their 'display technology' is revolutionary which is not!
    Well the retina display is very high res and has a high enough PPI. So it does look very nice and crisp and gofre is right that it's very hard to see the differences between the iPhone's retina display and other high quality displays.

But you are also right, Apple brand their screen as "Retina", It's an IPS LCD Display manufactured by LG, Sharp and Japan display. It;s actually worse than many of the OLED displays used in other smartphones today. Apple brand their glass as aluminosilicate glass, It's actually made by corning who provide the exact same glass to Samsung, HTC, sony etc... It's all marketing.

ReputationRep:
    I just noticed a typo...

Spoiler:
    Show

I've accidentally pressed the screen a few times when trying to press the menu button... the bezel is so small. :erm:

Another problem is that finger sweat sits on the back and makes it somewhat slippery...

ReputationRep:
    Hate you all for getting yours. . Mines has been delayed till Fri 3rd May. But don't mind as its the day after my exam

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Got mine today as well! The screen is just amazing! Android will take some time getting used to having used only IOS devices before but loving what I'm seeing so far.

My iPhone 4s next to me feel so outdated after using the S4 for a while. Hopefully I'll be able to get 200 odd quid out of it.

EDIT: The S4 supposedly has super sensitive touch screen. Hopefully they'll be able to make a stylus with a thin solid tip like the s-pen and not those crap rubber tip ones.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, the glove mode works through my gloves that have a fleece lining and a chunky knit exterior. :eek:
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Wow, the glove mode works through my gloves that have a fleece lining and a chunky knit exterior. :eek:
    This is one of the things that I'm seeing as a real selling point of the S4 for me over the HTC One - I feel the point of making a decision si getting closer!

(You'd be getting rep if I could - keep up the feedback :yep:)

ReputationRep:
    For all of you who are complaining about the plastic, well the phone dosent really feel like plastic, it actually feels quite good to hold.

ReputationRep:
    • The screen is actually black this time and there is no visible difference between it being off and being on displaying a black image. Conversely, the S2 was a very dark grey colour when displaying a black image, but it was only visible when viewing it in a pitch black environment.
    • The multi-window feature is quite useful, but it definitely needs more supported apps...
    • The alarm background changes depending on the time it is set, which I think is a nice touch. There's also a nice range of alarm sounds (41 for the main alarm + 6 Smart Alarm sounds).
    • I've noticed some brief stuttering when pulling down the status bar (that may be due to having many notifications) and in the closing effect when returning to the home screen via the home button.
    • The adapt display feature is very subtle and responsive, but there's a definite change in the saturation, contrast and brightness depending on what I'm viewing at the time.
    • The charger is quite short (~100cm vs. my S2's 152 cm lead). It's one where the plug has a USB port on it and the data cable that comes supplied with the phone doubles as a primary charger. In fact, the headphones, plug and cable do look incredibly Apple-esque (curvy, white, grey icons and text)... :erm:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    u mad bro? (jk)

The glove feature is AWESOME

You gonna buy the phone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    u mad bro? (jk)

The glove feature is AWESOME

You gonna buy the phone?
    I received it yesterday.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I received it yesterday.
    Top lad, so what's your first impressions? Better than expected?

I should have kept my desire hd on a rolling contract and waited for this phone. I rushed to upgrade to the One X+ :rofl:
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    Top lad, so what's your first impressions? Better than expected?

I should have kept my desire hd on a rolling contract and waited for this phone. I rushed to upgrade to the One X+ :rofl:
    Hasn't he already said that in his recent posts?

I think I've convinced myself, so I just need to find the best deal that I can this evening :jive:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    Hasn't he already said that in his recent posts?

I think I've convinced myself, so I just need to find the best deal that I can this evening :jive:
    Do you have a network preference?
    Mins/texts/data?
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    Do you have a network preference?
    Mins/texts/data?
    Anything but Vodafone - their coverage isn't good for me locally - even though I can get a 20% discount on the monthly tariff with them. :sad:

I think I'll be going with one of these two:
    Orange, £36/month for 18 months + £39 up-front (£687 total), with likely £100 cashback (from Dialaphone): 600 minutes, unlimited texts, 1GB data, with Orange 'swapables' included
    Orange, £20.50/month for 24 months + £110 up-front (£602 total), with likely £15 cashback (from Mobiles.co.uk): 100 minutes, unlimited texts, 500MB data

100 minutes may well be enough for me, less sure about 500MB data on the S4 though. An 18-month contract is also tempting rather than 24!

ReputationRep:
    Anything but Vodafone - their coverage isn't good for me locally - even though I can get a 20% discount on the monthly tariff with them. :sad:

I think I'll be going with one of these two:
    Orange, £36/month for 18 months + £39 up-front (£687 total), with likely £100 cashback (from Dialaphone): 600 minutes, unlimited texts, 1GB data, with Orange 'swapables' included
    Orange, £20.50/month for 24 months + £100 up-front (£602 total), with likely £15 cashback (from Mobiles.co.uk): 100 minutes, unlimited texts, 500MB data

100 minutes may well be enough for me, less sure about 500MB data on the S4 though. An 18-month contract is also tempting rather than 24!
    Good deal in bold. Don't forget if you're under 24 you can take advantage of Orange U24 which gives you an extra 1GB of data and unlimited calls/texts to EE customers.

Therefore it works out at
    100 Mins
    Unl Calls/texts to EE customers
    UNl texts
    1.5GB Data

£20.50pm + £100 upfront. =£602

bargain.

The other deal would cost £903 if you continued to pay £36pm over a full 24 month period past the 18 months.

DISCLAIMER: Ring up and see if Orange U24 applies for contracts taken out via third parties first. I could be wrong here.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    Good deal in bold. Don't forget if you're under 24 you can take advantage of Orange U24 which gives you an extra 1GB of data and unlimited calls/texts to EE customers.

Therefore it works out at
    100 Mins
    Unl Calls/texts to EE customers
    UNl texts
    1.5GB Data

£20.50pm + £100 upfront. =£602

bargain.

The other deal would cost £903 if you continued to pay £36pm over a full 24 month period past the 18 months.

DISCLAIMER: Ring up and see if Orange U24 applies for contracts taken out via third parties first. I could be wrong here.
    Unfortunately I'm not under 24 :no: It's not so clear-cut without that :sad: 500MB has been enough on my existing contract (with an HTC Desire S); I'm just not sure if that would continue on the S4 - especially as I may be aware from home (where I run off wifi) more often for the next few months.

I wouldn't continue on the same tariff past 18 months - giffgaff have a similar offering at £10/month, for example.

(note a slight edit to my earlier post - it's £110 up-front rather than £100 - though not a dealbreaker either way)

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately I'm not under 24 :no: It's not so clear-cut without that :sad:

I wouldn't continue on the same tariff past 18 months - giffgaff have a similar offering at £10/month, for example.
    In which case the 18 month contract may be a bit better.

Alternatively you can go with T-Mobile who are doing £26pm for 500 mins/unl texts & Data via a number of third parties + £90 upfront = £714 (possible £40 cashback)

Ah you say you won't continue paying £36pm but what about when the Galaxy S6/HTC Sensation ONE XL Desire 4G LTE comes out and you pay another £36pm then

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.