Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    In which case the 18 month contract may be a bit better.

Alternatively you can go with T-Mobile who are doing £26pm for 500 mins/unl texts & Data via a number of third parties + £90 upfront = £714 (possible £40 cashback)
    I think the Orange contracts include some extra third-party data allowance but as the reliability of that is uncertain I'm not really taking it as a significant deciding factor.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. :yep:

Ah you say you won't continue paying £36pm but what about when the Galaxy S6/HTC Sensation ONE XL Desire 4G LTE comes out and you pay another £36pm then
    Well yes, of course But then, that would be the same whichever I go for!

ReputationRep:
    No worries mate.

I can't believe i forgot to mention i had a play around with the S4 in a phone store today. I have to say i was really suprised by how light and small it was when you consider the fact it has a 5" screen and bigger battery than the S3. It actually felt lighter and smaller than the S3. Also the polycarbonate build is very nice. It does feel cheap and not as good as the One but it's a huge improvement on the S3 and it really feels quite solid.

Everything is fluid and everything but what really pissed me off is why they didn' take advantage of the S4's 1080p screen. You could fit more than 5 icons in a row on the screen. On my Note 2 i've set the DPI to 240 and everything just looks so much better. The DPI on the S4 is much higher so it looks like it's been designed for a kid. I know you can manually change it (like i did with the Note 2) but manufacturers should realise there is no point releasing a phone with a big screen if you have no real estate.

But anyway, phone looks and works great and seems like another hit. Is it worth it as an upgrade from the One X/S3? Nope.
    But from the S2/Sensation it's leaps and bounds better.

ReputationRep:
    For those that have watched videos is there any black bars when watching on YouTube or converted DVDs ?
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Urgh, really want to upgrade to this from my S2 actually. Does anyone know the price for the phone by itself? without a contract etc
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yarshad)
    Urgh, really want to upgrade to this from my S2 actually. Does anyone know the price for the phone by itself? without a contract etc
    It's in the region of £575 SIM-free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan17.)
    For those that have watched videos is there any black bars when watching on YouTube or converted DVDs ?
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That depends entirely on the source of the video.

The S4 has a native aspect ratio of 16:9. If a video was shot in 16:9, typically those made for HDTV and the Internet, then there will be no black bars.

Movies on the other hand are shot in around 2.4:1, which is slightly wider than 16:9 and so will letterbox (the name for the black lines).

Older TV shows and movies are often found in the 4:3 format which was more square - pre widescreen if you will. These will either have black bars on the sides or will be zoomed in to fit more of the screen. If you're ever watching a show in widescreen and you notice things like the credits are chopped off, that'll be why. You can also stretch 4:3 out, which is weird, but sometimes happens.

This is true to all displays that are 1080p or 720p (both are 16:9), so pretty much all high end screens you'll be able to see in the shops today. The notable exception is on computers, which often have a ratio of 16:10, which gives more space for vertical scrolling, meaning more posts per screen!

Finally, if you download MX Player from the market and watch everything on that, you can have it auto fill the screen.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone ordered an S4 from carphone warehouse? They said they were offering a £80 bundle when you set your pre-order, but then they say they're giving us a "£40 bundle to apologise for any inconvenience caused". So am I getting £120 worth of free stuff or just £40? To be honest, I'd just prefer the boombar (£40).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Boy)
    Anyone ordered an S4 from carphone warehouse? They said they were offering a £80 bundle when you set your pre-order, but then they say they're giving us a "£40 bundle to apologise for any inconvenience caused". So am I getting £120 worth of free stuff or just £40? To be honest, I'd just prefer the boombar (£40).
    I've ordered from there. And it'll also be the last time I will be considering stores in the city have them ready to take whilst some will deliver with in 24-48 hours. But carphone warehouae still haven't fulfilled their pre orders. I'm still waiting for mine with an expected delivery date of 3rd may.

Anyways back to your question, the £80 accessory bundle is separate to the £40 content bundle. But the boom bar is not included in the £40 bundle. The £40 content bundle is a bundle which is absolutely useless. It isn't a form of compensation either as every customer receives this.

The boombar replaces the accessory bundle as a free gift when placing the order. So how you've got the accessory bundle, orders from 27th April and on will get a free boombar.

You can check out what the £40 bundle includes on the CPW s4 page. It's under the speaker info with a link direct to samsung website where they show what you get.

Not compensation at all as many of these free things have been free for previous galaxy models and were announced free before the release.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    That depends entirely on the source of the video.

The S4 has a native aspect ratio of 16:9. If a video was shot in 16:9, typically those made for HDTV and the Internet, then there will be no black bars.

Movies on the other hand are shot in around 2.4:1, which is slightly wider than 16:9 and so will letterbox (the name for the black lines).

Older TV shows and movies are often found in the 4:3 format which was more square - pre widescreen if you will. These will either have black bars on the sides or will be zoomed in to fit more of the screen. If you're ever watching a show in widescreen and you notice things like the credits are chopped off, that'll be why. You can also stretch 4:3 out, which is weird, but sometimes happens.

This is true to all displays that are 1080p or 720p (both are 16:9), so pretty much all high end screens you'll be able to see in the shops today. The notable exception is on computers, which often have a ratio of 16:10, which gives more space for vertical scrolling, meaning more posts per screen!

Finally, if you download MX Player from the market and watch everything on that, you can have it auto fill the screen.
    Perfect answer looking forward to getting it around June or the nexus 5 when contract is up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by farhaanf)
    I've ordered from there. And it'll also be the last time I will be considering stores in the city have them ready to take whilst some will deliver with in 24-48 hours. But carphone warehouae still haven't fulfilled their pre orders. I'm still waiting for mine with an expected delivery date of 3rd may.

Anyways back to your question, the £80 accessory bundle is separate to the £40 content bundle. But the boom bar is not included in the £40 bundle. The £40 content bundle is a bundle which is absolutely useless. It isn't a form of compensation either as every customer receives this.

The boombar replaces the accessory bundle as a free gift when placing the order. So how you've got the accessory bundle, orders from 27th April and on will get a free boombar.

You can check out what the £40 bundle includes on the CPW s4 page. It's under the speaker info with a link direct to samsung website where they show what you get.

Not compensation at all as many of these free things have been free for previous galaxy models and were announced free before the release.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So the people who order now get better stuff than people who pre-ordered weeks ago. That's ****.

ReputationRep:
    So the people who order now get better stuff than people who pre-ordered weeks ago. That's ****.
    Exactly. That's what we get ordering from CPW.. Just spoke to them, got told that they're not delivering according to order date. But Yodel is delivering according to area. So it's up to them, not CPW. Sounds like a heap of excuses after excuses with a hint of bull ****

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Had a play with one in store today. I liked the screen real estate to phone size ratio. Found the UI quite slow/laggy/stuttery/ugly as expected compared to the Nexus 4 and HTC One (which is annoying given the S4 fastest proccessor in a phone currently out). Also the horrible software use of the screen wasnt a surprise.. like the S3 and the Note 2 the clunky user interface is poor use of a huge screen, with large gaps between icons. The plastic doesnt feel as cheap as it looks, but it does feel sub-premium on par with 200 quid phones. Im disgruntled as I feel the S4 should have offered much more.

Read an indepth review of the S4 from Gizmodo, and they sum up as holiding true all the reservations I had about the S4 before it was released. To paraphrase, in summary they say the S4 would be the best Android phone out there, if it wasnt for the HTC ONE, which they feel has a better screen, better camera, better speakers, better headphone sound, better premium feel/design, and faster/smoother/snappier user interface. They say the only reason to get an S4 is if you absolutely *must* have removable sdcard/battery and are prepared to sacrifice all the above. They also state all the S software features like Air scroll or whatever are complete gimmicks that will never be used by anyone (much like the S gimmicks on the S3). Everything they stated I said a month ago.. I should write reveiws ha. Years of owning far too many phones makes things all too predictable.

http://gizmodo.com/5995291/samsung-g...etter-not-best

I have the HTC One, but i'll probably eventually get the S4 too (I tend to buy all new phones out); but i cant see it being my daily driver. Nexus 5 (xPhone) will be the killer phone of the year I think - out August.

Anyway, regarding the S4, the one thing I did like over the HTC One was the wider screen that's more edge-to-edge. Coming from a Nexus 4, you get used to that slightly wider screen. Im not going to rush to get the phone now after playing with the phone in store as I know it wont be my daily driver. Instead i'll probably get it when they release a vanilla android rom for it.

ReputationRep:
    My pre-order is delayed again I pre ordered in 2 weeks back, just wondering anyone got some info on this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xamanus)
    My pre-order is delayed again I pre ordered in 2 weeks back, just wondering anyone got some info on this?
    Who'd you order from?

ReputationRep:
    Who'd you order from?
    vodafone
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    My Dialaphone order's just changed from "awaiting stock" to "order awaiting dispatch" - I'm hoping that this is good news! :jive:

(Original post by Xamanus)
    vodafone
    :console: Perhaps make a quick call to their customer services and ask for an update? There have been stock issues for all retailers. If it sounds like they'll still have stock issues for a while, you could try elsewhere? My Dialaphone order was placed over the weekend and they now seem to be getting new stock in (I hope! :crossedf:).

ReputationRep:
    Some people are saying the S4 lags really badly and that touchwiz is taking up half the ram. I don't have one so I can't comment but isn't that impossible?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F_shakeey)
    Some people are saying the S4 lags really badly and that touchwiz is taking up half the ram. I don't have one so I can't comment but isn't that impossible?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Its the new features such as smart pause etc... Turn them off and it will be fine. Buy the octa-core variant and apparently there's virtually no lag.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karma Charger)
    Its the new features such as smart pause etc... Turn them off and it will be fine. Buy the octa-core variant and apparently there's virtually no lag.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not sure the average Joe wants to import their phone from South Korea....

I've used the S4 and there is minimal lag. It does seem to be the touchwiz gimmicks causing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markuk99)

Read an indepth review of the S4 from Gizmodo, and they sum up as holiding true all the reservations I had about the S4 before it was released. To paraphrase, in summary they say the S4 would be the best Android phone out there, if it wasnt for the HTC ONE, which they feel has a better screen, better camera, better speakers, better headphone sound, better premium feel/design, and faster/smoother/snappier user interface. They say the only reason to get an S4 is if you absolutely *must* have removable sdcard/battery and are prepared to sacrifice all the above.
    I really dont think its that simple tbh, and whilst its a bit cliche to say that at the end of the day it's really up to the user , i think that my biggest issue is that they are simply comparing the two as they out of the box without thinking a bit beyond.

For example: -

Cases -

Pretty mcuh every review i've seen slams the facrt the S4 feels like a cheap plastic toy compared to the HTC's uniform body. Funny thing is though that , if like me you are a clumsy person who dosen't feel safe holding expensive goods without some form of protection, then the difference in feel won't really matter once you start slathering it in silicon and rubber cases .

Also, ifixit have torn apart both phones and note that the S4 is compartivitly much easier to repair than the HTC , scoring 8/10 vs 1/10 respectivtly in terms of reparabilty ( one article comparing the two is http://www.itechpost.com/articles/84...e-iphone-5.htm )

One overlooked feature perhaps is that the S4 has a more sensitive screen meaning it can be used with gloves (albeit perhaps not thick chuncky gloves)

Periphels

Yes, a lot ofthe S stuff is gimmicky, but its also a case of better to have and need than not to have and need. The remote control and S health stuff may be a bit of plus for some, and I like that Samsung are trying to make people be more aware of the USB hosting capabilities of high-end phones by launching that gamepad. And although you can get away with it with just a simple PS3 controller, it's a nice bit of marketing and general awareness increasig imo.

Third-party launchers

Touchwiz is not my favoutrite, and nor is a lot of people's. But the same can be said of Sense. Point is that you can replace the UI experience by installing something like Nova launcher or Go Launcher. Also, I personally don;t like the idea of something like Blinkfeed sucking up all my data. And yeah , i probably could set it to manual refresh, but then it loses some of its charm

However, comparing photos, I also picked up that the general concensus in reviews were that whilst the S4 edged out the HTC in daylight using default settings, the HTC stomped all over the S4 in lowlight conditions (although the S4's settigs may help some of this), and probably gave it the best overall experience (http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-575...-one-iphone-5/ , http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2013/04...-vs-lumia-920/ ) . So i'll concede that if you want low-level light shooting, HTC probably is the better one

I'll also concede that HTC's boomsound does put it over the one speaker of the S4. , and tbh since the HTC supports OTG, the lack of an SD slot can be negotiatied with some thought, although it's a bit messier if you like to be out and about a fair bit.

All in all though , whilst the HTC does pow-pow in some aspects, I think it's unfair to say you'll be sacraficing a ton just for the abilty to fly in the opposite trend of prenium phones and have a removable battery and an SD slot. And you know what, I actually like the idea of having a replaceble battery and an SD slot lol

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.