Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Samsung Galaxy S4 Discussion Thread Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Probably about £450-£500, the S3 launched at £499 so expect it within that same ballpark.
    Based on the Xperia Z and HTC One sim free price i don't see the phone being priced any cheaper than £500. If anything i can see Samsung pricing it quite high around £520ish for the first couple of months. Samsung know they can get away with it and HTC and Sony aren't exactly putting themselves in the best position by pricing their products at the £500-520 mark as well.

@Whyumadtho- i agree, it's nice to have a physical menu button on the phone, heck it's nice to have physical buttons on a phone compared to onscreen ones. It's not like onscreen actually saves any space because there is still a massive bezel around the thing. I can understand on a tablet, but on a phone i think Samsung, or the old HTC Sensation keys worked best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    I know what you mean, Samsung design isn't amazing and they do talk up their phones like they're the best thing ever. But they have come a long way to be the worlds best selling manufacturer. Sure i don't agree with everything they've done (especially the rehashing of old handsets) but what they've done has allowed them to grow into the company they are today.
    They do make great, powerful phones that for the public do everything they want it to and in that regard I can commend Samsung. However, I'd attribute most of their success to the sheer size of their marketing campaigns. Samsung's marketing push has been absolutely gargantuan in every respect and this was especially evident during the Olympics. The One X and the S3 were for the most part, on par with each other. The reason the latter did so well in sales is simply because it managed to break through that public consciousness coupled with the fact that it is of course, a very good phone.

And to be honest Samsung aren't that bad with updates, if you compare to Sony or LG or a few other OEM's then Samsung look like they're the best for android updates. Sure the touchwiz skin isn't great but it's tailored towards more of an "Apple" audience. Besides you can always install another launcher on the phone or an entirely different rom.
    Fair enough, the same problem that Samsung has with updates is probably no different than HTC, Sony or LG so it's unfair to call Samsung out on this one specifically. However, it's still a very annoying problem that I'd like to see Samsung work tirelessly on to bring the latest update as and when they come through. Not eight months down the line a few weeks before the next OS version is announced.

A launcher can only go so far in changing the overall feel of a device when it's being guided by the internal firmware in its activities and a custom ROM will never work with the hardware as it should in the same way that it would as if HTC had designed it. It will always be slightly buggy or in essence, never perfect. I'd like to see HTC give two options on first boot: Sense of stock, factory Android optimised specifically for the hardware.

Yeh Samsung could use better quality materials to build the phone but i have to admit their quality control is amazing. I rarely see high end Samsungs go wrong or have common faults compared to other brands like HTC. There is a reason why Samsung are selling more and it's pretty evident why.
    This is like saying "yeah, the Vauxhall Corsa is a tin shell that'd break in half in any accident, but how about that steering wheel eh?". Yes, Samsung phones are...fine or at the very least, no worse in comparison to their rivals when it comes to day to day functions. However, a plasticky hollow shell just isn't good enough when it comes to a high end phone anymore. Nokia have realised this, Apple has realised this, HTC has realised this, LG has realised this, Sony has realised this. One of the only companies left still making their devices out of a flimsy plastic shell is Samsung. If they're going to pull this, I don't see a reason why they can't offer it at a lower price point and offer a premium grade S4 alongside it for those who want to opt for durability and a premium feel.

Also another reason Samsung are doing well is because they haven't conformed to other manufactures who don't have removable batteries or Micro SD support in their phones. But i do agree that Samsung do just overhype some of their gimmicks a bit like apple did. But it works for Samsungs and tbh i'd rather have those small gimmicks than not have them. Especially when the specs back up the phone.
    These small gimmicks are meaningless if they're not actually going to be used and especially if all they're going to do is drain the battery. Meaningless bloatware and showy gimmicks to impress crowds at launch are portliness if it inhibits the operation of the phone and its wasted effort. Samsung is not a software company and their attempts to hide Google at the back whilst presenting themselves as "do-it-all" replacement for the iPhone is leading to the net regression of Android and Android phones. S-Voice, this hovering crap and touchwiz are al useless. One or two features may prove fun or nice to own, but I'd much rather leave that up to Google and have a unified Android experience with a consistent design than have everything lightly skinned to suit Samsung's flavour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeterminate)
    When will Samsung stop making big and clumsy devices? I guess I'll never know

It's one of the several reasons why I'm happy with my iPhone 5, and waiting for the next in the series.
    They really aren't clumsy. The screen looks brilliant on them and is great if you watch videos or look at webpages a lot.
    Also this is just my opinion but the iphone 5's screen looks so out of proportion to me.

Also another reason Samsung are doing well is because they haven't conformed to other manufactures who don't have removable batteries or Micro SD support in their phones. But i do agree that Samsung do just overhype some of their gimmicks a bit like apple did. But it works for Samsungs and tbh i'd rather have those small gimmicks than not have them. Especially when the specs back up the phone.

I agree too, it's always put me off the nexus. With cameras getting better every year the average size of a picture you take is 2mb+ and it adds up to a couple of GB within no time.
    The gimmicks aren't too bad either, they aren't overhyped so much since all they do is just put it out and let everybody spread it by word. It isn't as bad as Siri was, I don't know why you'd ask for the weather when you're outside :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i reckon it will be a similair phone to the S3...
    some new features!

i hope samsung dont follow in Apple's foot steps, and release a phone that looks the same... but internally different
    i wanna new design!

ReputationRep:
    its friday tommorow.. so chill!

http://new.livestream.com/cnet/SamsungGalaxyS4

5 hours and counting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harps.singh)
    its friday tommorow.. so chill!

http://new.livestream.com/cnet/SamsungGalaxyS4

5 hours and counting!
    I am confused. Is the event starting at 10pm, 11pm or 12am GMT?

I am getting different answers all over the internet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    They do make great, powerful phones that for the public do everything they want it to and in that regard I can commend Samsung. However, I'd attribute most of their success to the sheer size of their marketing campaigns. Samsung's marketing push has been absolutely gargantuan in every respect and this was especially evident during the Olympics. The One X and the S3 were for the most part, on par with each other. The reason the latter did so well in sales is simply because it managed to break through that public consciousness coupled with the fact that it is of course, a very good phone.
    Yep, Marketing is one of the major areas Samsung have got right, purely down to the amount of money they put in. Thats why the S4 is such an anticipated phone and why the S3 was last years best seller.

Fair enough, the same problem that Samsung has with updates is probably no different than HTC, Sony or LG so it's unfair to call Samsung out on this one specifically. However, it's still a very annoying problem that I'd like to see Samsung work tirelessly on to bring the latest update as and when they come through. Not eight months down the line a few weeks before the next OS version is announced.

A launcher can only go so far in changing the overall feel of a device when it's being guided by the internal firmware in its activities and a custom ROM will never work with the hardware as it should in the same way that it would as if HTC had designed it. It will always be slightly buggy or in essence, never perfect. I'd like to see HTC give two options on first boot: Sense of stock, factory Android optimised specifically for the hardware.
    Yep, i would like to see a more unified android software update system but thats not going to happen any time soon. Especially that manufacturers like to have their own skin on top of android to differentiate. But like i say, Samsung are quite good with updates compared to others. But i agree that it's a very long process, especially if you have a network locked phone as it can take a while for the network to release their version.

Clearly you've never used a custom rom based on the same firmware/kernal then? What they do is build on what HTC/Samsung started on and make it better. So yes. A custom rom can work much better than the official stock rom. You make an interesting point on stock/skinned android. Huawei have been doing this for a while where you can change between stock and skinned with ease. but i understand why HTC would be reluctant as you require sense to run all of the HTC apps, they won't work on a stock rom without some work.

This is like saying "yeah, the Vauxhall Corsa is a tin shell that'd break in half in any accident, but how about that steering wheel eh?". Yes, Samsung phones are...fine or at the very least, no worse in comparison to their rivals when it comes to day to day functions. However, a plasticky hollow shell just isn't good enough when it comes to a high end phone anymore. Nokia have realised this, Apple has realised this, HTC has realised this, LG has realised this, Sony has realised this. One of the only companies left still making their devices out of a flimsy plastic shell is Samsung. If they're going to pull this, I don't see a reason why they can't offer it at a lower price point and offer a premium grade S4 alongside it for those who want to opt for durability and a premium feel.
    Like i said, Samsung is much more reliable compared to HTC even though HTC use better quality materials as you say. Besides the S3 is actually quite durable even though it doesn't feel like it. But at the end of the day for Samsung it is cheaper to go with plastic and thats why they do it. But i do agree that they should lower the price for it. (but thats not gonna happen)

These small gimmicks are meaningless if they're not actually going to be used and especially if all they're going to do is drain the battery. Meaningless bloatware and showy gimmicks to impress crowds at launch are portliness if it inhibits the operation of the phone and its wasted effort. Samsung is not a software company and their attempts to hide Google at the back whilst presenting themselves as "do-it-all" replacement for the iPhone is leading to the net regression of Android and Android phones. S-Voice, this hovering crap and touchwiz are al useless. One or two features may prove fun or nice to own, but I'd much rather leave that up to Google and have a unified Android experience with a consistent design than have everything lightly skinned to suit Samsung's flavour.
    Well some are gimmicks, and some are features built into the skin. For example on touchwiz you can swipe left to message a contact or swipe right to call a contact. Can't do that on stock android. So it's these small things that make touchwiz better than stock. I prefer stock myself but i'm impressed by the multiwindow feature on touchwiz and others. Yes some gimmicks are just gimmicks but others are useful and quite a differentiator when it comes to choosing a phone e.g note 2 multiwindow + spen related apps vs other phablet without it.

So like i said with HTC above, the skins and apps are built into the framework so it's hard to have stock Android with the skin on top because then these features/apps/gimmicks won't work.

I've owned a Desire, Sensation and One X but this time i might go for a Samsung phone (based on tonight) or get a new dual sim phone from Shenzhen, China

(Original post by F_shakeey)

I agree too, it's always put me off the nexus. With cameras getting better every year the average size of a picture you take is 2mb+ and it adds up to a couple of GB within no time.
    The gimmicks aren't too bad either, they aren't overhyped so much since all they do is just put it out and let everybody spread it by word. It isn't as bad as Siri was, I don't know why you'd ask for the weather when you're outside :rolleyes:
    Especially if you're like me and have my entire music album on the device haha. And i agree, the gimmicks aren't as overhyped as apple but some of them can be pointless sometimes haha. I think the small features that the skins bring are great compared to stock android. but i love the look and feel of stock android, and more than likely you can emulate the touchwiz/sense features on stock android as well. (with a few custom bits and pieces)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SkyScraper)
    I am confused. Is the event starting at 10pm, 11pm or 12am GMT?

I am getting different answers all over the internet.
    lol

it says hours...
    you can never go wrong with hours!

wherever you are in the world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harps.singh)
    lol

it says hours...
    you can never go wrong with hours!

wherever you are in the world
    I know that however that cant be right can it? 10pm GMT? 7pm ET is not 10pm GMT.

EDIT: Actually, just found out event is at 11pm. CNET will probably discuss predictions for an hour before the event begins.

ReputationRep:
    Samsung are doing well [in the mobile market] because they spent £410 million on marketing last year...

ReputationRep:
    Especially if you're like me and have my entire music album on the device haha. And i agree, the gimmicks aren't as overhyped as apple but some of them can be pointless sometimes haha. I think the small features that the skins bring are great compared to stock android. but i love the look and feel of stock android, and more than likely you can emulate the touchwiz/sense features on stock android as well. (with a few custom bits and pieces)
    Well I'm similar in that I take a lot of pictures with my phone and so it easily stacks up past 1GB.
    Some gimmicks are useless but the things I hate more and the hubs for example I had on my S2, glad I got rid of them now.
    I ended up ditching Touchwiz now that I'm on a custom rom but it's really not as bad as people say. Imo Samsung has done well to try and match Apple.

ReputationRep:
    I would jump on it if it wasn't plastic... If it is, I'd consider moving on - I'm happy with my S2 but it just feels so cheap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SkyScraper)
    I know that however that cant be right can it? 10pm GMT? 7pm ET is not 10pm GMT.

EDIT: Actually, just found out event is at 11pm. CNET will probably discuss predictions for an hour before the event begins.
    off course

ReputationRep:
    Looks like an awesome phone, but guess I'll be keeping my S3 lol

ReputationRep:
    I love my s3!!!
    But s4 is going to be better

ReputationRep:
    Phone review and some more pictures (in Chinese).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indeterminate)
    When will Samsung stop making big and clumsy devices? I guess I'll never know

It's one of the several reasons why I'm happy with my iPhone 5, and waiting for the next in the series.
    Woooooooo, I second that!

ReputationRep:
    So looks like it'll cost around £450 in China. Typical tbh. Samsung always price their phones high in China and i have no reason why. When phones like the Oppo Find 5 and ZTE Grand S cost under £320 i struggle to see who buys Samsung phones in China. Especially when domestic manufacturers will be releasing the same phone (spec wise) this year from as little as £100.

But yeh, looks good, nothing special really, well apart from the processor. Seems like another Optimus G/Xperia Z/Find 5. It'll sell well though. Processor and battery and software and camera and screen/design. will be the selling points.

ReputationRep:
    How about the Sony Xperia Z? It's got some raving reviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    How about the Sony Xperia Z? It's got some raving reviews.
    it's a great phone and it's selling very well.

Only drawbacks from a technical standpoint are the use of an older processor, no removable battery, dull screen, not using gorilla glass.

But if that doesn't bother you the Xperia Z is a great phone. But if you're buying it sim free it might be worth spending the extra £20 or so on the HTC One or S4.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.