Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whyumadtho)
    Absolute must-have.

It seems to work with everything I use so far.
    Needs root access, though? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    Top lad, so what's your first impressions? Better than expected?

I should have kept my desire hd on a rolling contract and waited for this phone. I rushed to upgrade to the One X+ :rofl:
    (Sorry for the late reply :ninja:)

Yeah, the best feature is the screen: they've finally achieved pure blacks, which, combined with the colourfulness of SAMOLED screens, makes games like Cordy 2 look amazing. It looks quite weird because it's so big relative to the size of the actual phone. Air View works well, but I don't really use the Smart Stay/Scroll/etc. features because I don't tend to hold my phone at an angle where it can detect my eyes (another benefit of the wide viewing angles). The camera is very good and the front one manages low-light conditions very well. I could make out my face in a pitch black room with the only light coming from the icons on the camera UI.

There is a bit of lag on when doing things like unlocking or pressing the home button and I suffer from this, but neither are problems I'm fussed about. I can cope with the latter if it means having pure black.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    Needs root access, though? :holmes:
    :yep: This has worked for me, but I've seen a few users say there are problems when trying to root the most recent firmware.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whyumadtho)
    :yep: This has worked for me, but I've seen a few users say there are problems when trying to root the most recent firmware.
    I have to admit that I'm not ken to try rooting unless I really have to

ReputationRep:
    "The certification process must be completed before you can use your samsung account"

Why do I keep getting this message when ever I try to use samsung app? Pretty sure I already logged in correctly ¬_¬

Also, can anyone suggest apps they consider to be essential? Peace

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karma Charger)
    Its the new features such as smart pause etc... Turn them off and it will be fine. Buy the octa-core variant and apparently there's virtually no lag.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The octa-core variant is absolutely no faster. The only benefit to the octa-core phone is the fact that it's battery will last longer. Due to the fact that it's not an 8-core processor, but in fact 2 quad-core ones, which the phone switches between depending on whether it just needs to use a lower spec one (to conserve battery) or to use the higher spec one, to perform more demanding tasks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    The octa-core variant is absolutely no faster. The only benefit to the octa-core phone is the fact that it's battery will last longer. Due to the fact that it's not an 8-core processor, but in fact 2 quad-core ones, which the phone switches between depending on whether it just needs to use a lower spec one (to conserve battery) or to use the higher spec one, to perform more demanding tasks.
    I am aware of this. The A15 cortex however are generally regarded as faster than the Krait structure on the Snapdragon 600!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am aware of this. The A15 cortex however are generally regarded as faster than the Krait structure on the Snapdragon 600!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Considering the HTC One is lag free and uses the Snapdragon 600, you've got to consider that Samsung need to fix lag with some good optimisation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Considering the HTC One is lag free and uses the Snapdragon 600, you've got to consider that Samsung need to fix lag with some good optimisation.
    Most definitely. They need to make their features/whole UI less heavy on RAM etc...

ReputationRep:
    Most definitely. They need to make their features/whole UI less heavy on RAM etc...
    Whats funny is that HTC were in this position a while back with how laggy the old version of Sense was. Glad to see it's got better and i have to admit it looks much better as well.

Although i just wish they'd bring quick settings back in some way. (for stock)

ReputationRep:
    So Flash can only be used on firefox or what? Doesn't seem to run smoothly either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    Whats funny is that HTC were in this position a while back with how laggy the old version of Sense was. Glad to see it's got better and i have to admit it looks much better as well.

Although i just wish they'd bring quick settings back in some way. (for stock)
    I was pushing one of the HTC reps to see if they would tell me if they're coming back earlier. All they could say was they were testing the 4.2.2 update. No ETA, no feature list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    So Flash can only be used on firefox or what? Doesn't seem to run smoothly either
    You can install flash on the stock browser as well. Just push the APK to your phone and install it. There is probably a guide on google or something.

@Mikey- How'd you get to speak to a HTC rep? Sounds good if quick settings does return.

ReputationRep:
    You can install flash on the stock browser as well. Just push the APK to your phone and install it. There is probably a guide on google or something.
    You can't, not for the browser or chrome, flash plugins have been blocked on S4.

Also, I'm beginning to think Smart Stay/Screen does not work for black people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    In all honesty, despite having been a fan of Samsung in the past I've completely lost interest as of late. I find their design utterly uninspired, their inability to push out the latest updates frustrating and touchwiz is just completely unforgivable. I like that Samsung has finally brought Android into the mainstream to a point where people are actually recognising an Android phone within the frame of public consciousness, but they just haven't improved in the most important area for me: design and interface.

To put it bluntly; I'm sick of flimsy plastic. If I'm going to spend £500+ on the latest smartphone I expect it to be made out of premium grade materials and a flimsy plastic back although useful, doesn't cut it for me any more. Aluminium, "VaporMg" or Polycarbonate, just anything but plastic. From my experience both with an S2 and an S3, even with Jellybean, touchwiz makes the phone feel slow and cheap. I don't need droplet noises, I don't need fade out animations, I don't need pictures of dandelions. All together, it's just unforgivable at this pricepoint.

The S4 will undoubtedly have the crap marketed out of it alongside a host of impressive internal specs. It will also be objectively a great phone. But for all its follies, I can't justify it. I've been won over by the HTC One despite not liking the skin (though at least its more sensible now). The robust design of the One reflects the price and is generally what a non-nexus device at the highend spectrum should be. If only HTC gave the option for stock firmware, I'd probably never consider a Galaxy device again.

Samsung really will need to pull something out of the bag to capture my eye and that means more than just adding a few useless features and a powerful processor.
    Well I love my Good Old s2 but its near upgrading time and I would love to upgrade to the S4, because I love the brand, and the look, and the fact it can't smash. But the size really puts me off. They need to make them smaller again with compromising them! The s3 mini for example, looks like such a cheap end phone I'm torn!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gracecooke55)
    Well I love my Good Old s2 but its near upgrading time and I would love to upgrade to the S4, because I love the brand, and the look, and the fact it can't smash. But the size really puts me off. They need to make them smaller again with compromising them! The s3 mini for example, looks like such a cheap end phone I'm torn!
    Nexus 4. Bit of a no brainer really.

Had mine a month now and I'll only be using stock Android from now on. Touchwiz is awful in comparison.

The only thing I like about the S4, is the display/screen size and the camera spec. That's it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Nexus 4. Bit of a no brainer really.

Had mine a month now and I'll only be using stock Android from now on. Touchwiz is awful in comparison.

The only thing I like about the S4, is the display/screen size and the camera spec. That's it.
    I'll have to try one out I think. I just love how Samsungs are laid out

ReputationRep:
    @Mikey- How'd you get to speak to a HTC rep? Sounds good if quick settings does return.
    Live chat on their website. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Live chat on their website. :yep:
    There live chat has always been awful for me. I tried asking a question there once and get fed up of waiting for the guy to respond. He gave me the wrong answer in the end as well.

@Yawn- Is that an S4 thing? Because on my Note 2 i have flash working across all browsers on Android 4.2.2

ReputationRep:
    There live chat has always been awful for me. I tried asking a question there once and get fed up of waiting for the guy to respond. He gave me the wrong answer in the end as well.

@Yawn- Is that an S4 thing? Because on my Note 2 i have flash working across all browsers on Android 4.2.2
    It's hit and miss to be honest.

Where are you getting Flash from? I thought it was unsupported? I only want it for the BBC Sport website...

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.